FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I'm Back Baby...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reinstalled HL on my comp tonight, and I am back!

Now, I am not back in full strength, so please, bear with me. I am not running OpenGL, so the graphics such worse than normal. (if anyone can help, I am runnin with HL's Software Support mode, and any help would be greatly appreciated, I am runnin win2k with a 32MB Riva TNT2 card)

I was snipin a bit on TV4, but my ping ate ass, so I decided to med it fer a bit. Then, the map switched to Osaka (which I haven't reinstalled yet) so I went to TV1, but of course it was full. SO, I went to some random server and tried a bit of recruiting. I found some nice guys, they had great attitudes, and hopefully will show up to learn from the wonderful Vill-uns

Well, it is 2:35AM, time for beddy by

Frag ya later, and Chen, Its time to Dance, B*tch!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoooooooooooooooooooooooooLL!!

The Shocker is back!

-Omega SiN
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hearby exercise my right to keep this at the top...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ktulu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me a little more why you can't run OpenGL, did you install the correct W2K drivers for your card? what happens when you try to run OpenGL in HL? are you getting any error messages? if so what are they?
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Ktulu, I made sure I was running the latesr Drivers, I am running the Detonator XP/2k Drivers straight from Nvidia, most up to date. When I run OpenGL in HL, I run at 1024x768 (which ran fine with win 98SE). I can usually play for anywhere from a minute to about 15-20 minutes, and it completely locks up my system. The last played sound skips/repeats, and I have to use my reset button to get my comp out of it and restart. Like I said, I can run it in "software mode" and I tried Direct 3d today, and that was just really delayed.

I wish I knew what was wrong exactly, but I do believe I have narrowed it down to my videocard.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem similar to this. I have to run in Direct3D when I'm using 2000. I can run OpenGL just fine in ME, but In 2000 I have that problem with sluggish response after a period of time. I guess I'd start there in the settings and see what happens, I haven't found a good combo for 2000 yet, which is why I've still got ME on a partition.

{edit} I'm also running the same Nvidia drivers as you. I've got a GeForce2 MX400 though, that might make a difference.

Really! Try it, and get your best Bouncy Bouncy.

[ This Message was edited by: Snaggletooth on 2002-02-11 11:05 ]
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discouraging news snag, but thanks. I think I am gonna try to get a hold of XP, see if that helps at all. I have a friend who has been raving about it, and about its compatibility.

I guess we shall see. I think for now, I will run in shit mode aka software. I mean, sure I am not using my 32 MB card at all, but at least I can still play...

I think the relationship between me an 2k is a love-hate one. I love its stability, and ease, but I hate the fact that it is conflicting with the most important component of my system...

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the room on your hard drive, I'd recommend loading 98 onto a partition before going out and buying another OS. Unless you have the deal like my school has. $35 for XP pro. $30 for every software package that Microsoft has available with no license restrictions.
Ktulu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU Snipe XP has it's own headaches too, I'm running W2K and it's the fastest most stable operating system I've ever had.

I did a little experiment.... I have a GeForce card in my machine that runs great with OpenGL.
I downloaded and installed the "Detonator XP/2k Drivers" and guess what??? I got the same problem you are having.
Do this, Completely unistall the Detonator and your cards factory drivers, go into your device manager and remove your video card, reboot your pc and re-install the factory drivers.
I just did this and everything is OK now.
Let me know if this fixes it.

[ This Message was edited by: Ktulu on 2002-02-11 12:46 ]
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Detonator drivers aren't the end all be all that Nvidia would like us to believe.
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally had many issues with XP which I installed two weeks ago. For all its aesthetic cuteness, it seemed to burp, hiccup, and choke on many of my applications and hardware. After severely crashing my system twice in a week, I decided to revert back to W2K server for stability and peace of mind. I've had many colleagues swear on XP and also some that sweared off it. I guess I've fallen into the latter group with good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XP and I have had absolutely no problems.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU, I have the same video card in my system.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants them, I have some "doctored" XP icons and graphics I did...Quite amusing, IMO.
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-11 13:25, Snaggletooth wrote:
If anyone wants them, I have some "doctored" XP icons and graphics I did...Quite amusing, IMO.

send them over. i'm lookin for some cool icons for xp

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: