FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I was a sniper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried being a sniper for the first time ever last night! Man, did I blow - hard! I had like 10 kills and a bazillion deaths! I take back every mean thing I have ever said about every sniper (okay not everything, and not every sniper).

I got a royal spankin' by Svvord. Thanks for the regal lesson. I never assumed that being a sniper would be easy, but I certainly never thought it would be that difficult. I am, however, not discouraged. I will try again as I continue my quest to learn all the roles.

My hat is off to you, snipers (except the camping pieces of sun baked scum sucking.....).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww, come on.. sniping isn't THAT hard... i started out as a snipe! i'm decent, not great, but decent.. playing other classes, i realize that sniping is one of the easier classes to get the hang of. now if you want to see a lot of deaths, go med!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a "Royal" lesson? Muahahahaha! I loath snipers. Headshots require much skill! But that's it.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I started playing sniper. I had any sniper map I could get my hands on. That's all I would play, until I started playing soldier. Just keep at it, cause it is a pretty fun class.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably all know by now, I love sniping .

I was in Eagles shoes until I discovered the many monders of Avant...mmmmmm Avanti-licious.

Sniping is rather difficult, but once you get the hang you can do some crazy things. Another thing that helps in the sniping is a hella-fast ping. On some servers, I have gotten down to about 20 or so Which is nuts.

Also, something to strive for, is the wonders of the no zoom kill. Even better is the no zoom headshot. Thats when you know your reflexes are trained for sniping.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more....ZOOM is for long range. A non zoomed charged rifle is just as deadly and far more accurate at close range. You can track the zigging medic much better without the Zoom. I switch in and out of zoom on a regular basis when I snipe. Maybe that is why very few spys and medics manage to sneak up on me. They might still get me but I almost always see them coming. Unlike a lot of my sniper victims

You play very diferent as a snipe. There was a time when I first joined that I couldn't snipe to save my life (litterally) and now I think I'm a pretty fair sniper.

Some quick tips for better snipping:
1 keep moving.
2 always know where your red dot is and who can see it. (I get more rookie snipers because the red dot gives them away as they slowly edge out into my NOW focused sight). 3 know where your other sniper is.
4 take advantage of the nme snipes recharge time. Move into open if they have just taken a shot.
5 be creative in sniping locations.
6 Understand spys. READ the SPY spotting thread in the tips section.
7 Patience, make the shot count.

There is more but that is all I have time for....
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Dad. I totally know what you mean. I almost never walk around with a zoomed rifle. And about the moving around, I learned that little tidbit from Enemy at the Gates Thank you Vassily Zaitzev(sp?).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omega_initiative

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also started out as a sniper. It isn't hard to get a hang of. I would say to be good at it you have practice. The hand-eye coordination will become better as ou practice. Then it's a matter of ping. Usually players with lower ping will have an edge, but that is just too bad.

Also, learn how to use grenades. Though grenades are important to other classes, snipers shouldn't just spam their nades. Use it when enemy is coming up for some close combats. I use my nades to kill spies and medics. But of course, other classes should have priority on nade packs.

One other thing, don't snipe me. I will get you as a spy, as many of you have learned! LOL!!!! There is rarely anything funnier when you blow a sniper up when he doesn't even knoww it's coming. Or pill kill them after the nade didn't kill them.

[ This Message was edited by: omega_initiative on 2002-02-08 14:29 ]
Shootakill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn those snipers. Never shoot from where they expect it unless you van really kill their sniper easily and you can kill the other team from theat position. If your team is going strong enough, sniper from in the open. It's the last place i tend to look. Nobody expects to turn a corner and come face to face with a sniper. Though, you wont be able to stay there long. And always move to different place- places that you havent been to, shoot from different angles that. Oh and it's nice to be an offensive sniper once in a while and take out SGs(1 shot) and engies.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play sniper, but my $&#(*%^&^# ping almost never gives a fighting chance at it... it can be a very hard class to play if you can't "establish yourself"... when you're going against multiple NME snipers, or a team that has sniper-paranoia, you're not gonna have a very good score... But hey, if they are constantly chucking 'nades into all the common sniper spots, those are being wasted when they could be used for SGs or something... You usually have to actually kill a few people before you draw that much attention though.

Always always always find a spot where you can take shots at people where it's hard to avoid your 'lil dot O' death... hitting someone as they run sideways (to your line of fire) is a skill I've never learned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, pay no attention to my advice. My Sniping skills are dreadful.

Now on to the tip. Don't feel a need to fully charge every shot. You can take out weaker classes with a weak charge. You get a feel for it after a while. When sniping a crowd, use your full charge on a heavy class, then hit the others with quick shots.

Along the same lines: If your fully charged shot doesn't take out a target, you might want to hit them again with a quick snap shot before ducking for cover. Odds are that your first shot nearly killed them, and you won't need much more to finish the job. (I learned this not by sniping, but by being gibbed as a HWGuy by good snipers!)

MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shootakill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I totally disagree with both things TYO. I always charge up because you might only have a little time to get that HWguy. Plus, if you just stand say in the window in the tower you might as well wave to the guy who is most likely gonna snipe you. You leave yourself to open to enemy shots.

Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when people bash all snipers. They usually take for granted the skill involved and how much they actually help out the team.
However, some snipers tarnish the name and hide without taking a step out to help the team. Anywayz, I started out as sniper, got pretty good, and wandered off to try some other classes. I guess I'm okay at soldier and spy and sometimes med. Then for no reason I played sniper in a game. I got my @$$ handed to me and then some. I was out of practice. Recently I've been trying to play sniper some and I now realize just how much skill developing it takes to be a good sniper, and the effort needed to mantain that level. For those who don't believe me, just try sniping against Krayonz, Snipe Shocker, or Mulisha (I know there are a lot more) and then tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment Chen, and I am really looking forward to puttin HL back on my comp. When it is up and running again, Then we shall Dance

(ps-that is a little term chen and I use in game To Dance=Snipe War )

Frag Ya Wednesday!!

Countdown 5 days remaining

Oh, also, I am all about Offensive sniping, and assists. I love killin an SG, and hopefully, the explosion will kill the unknowing Engy Also, If I fire a fully charged shot, and I don't get the kill, I knwo that the player is dreadfully low on health, so one of my teammates will be able to easily finish him off, if I am unable to.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: