FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The rise of the low carbs fad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrNickRiviera wrote:
Is it me or has Coke taken it too far creating C2, especailly cause diet coke is carb free.

My thoughts exactly

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Turbo!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when my whole family is on the diet except for me. that way i get to eat all of the good food while they have to settle for their sugar free candy or their imitation flour.

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DrNickRiviera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going carb free is extremely unhealthy unless you are seriously overweight. Atkins is made to be short term. The managers I work with are all about Atkins, and I keep trying to tell them it is a short term fix. They don't want to listen at all.
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrNickRiviera wrote:
Going carb free is extremely unhealthy........They don't want to listen at all.

Hi Dr Nick!
Uncompensated & unsolicited testimony from a real doctor! Don't tell me the Ville isn't the most edumacated group in the gaming world.
DrNickRiviera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn straight
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently watching my carb intake but not to the standards of Atkins. Mainly I have dropped my calorie intake and excercise a bunch now, running and weights mostly. Multivitamins and protein shakes are a daily thing. So far I have dropped 20lbs and still going strong. I am losing about 1/2lb a day consistently. I have about 2 months left and I should be where I want to be with a realistic goal.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:
I am currently watching my carb intake but not to the standards of Atkins. Mainly I have dropped my calorie intake and excercise a bunch now, running and weights mostly. Multivitamins and protein shakes are a daily thing. So far I have dropped 20lbs and still going strong. I am losing about 1/2lb a day consistently. I have about 2 months left and I should be where I want to be with a realistic goal.

Now that's the way to go when you want to lose weight. I think a lot of people think this Atkins thing is a replacement for eating healthy and exercising.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrNickRiviera wrote:
Damn straight

psst... your line is " HEY EVERYBODY"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright Red Nipples wrote:

I didnt follow the atkins diet cause I cant bring myself to eat that much fat. But eating a low carb, higher protien diet lost me 35lbs in 3 months, and 2 months later im still at the same weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JtH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your body burns things for energy in this order. first it burns sugars, like glucose and glycogen and the likes. then it burns fat, shedding the pounds. then it burns muscle, which isnt good, hence anorexia is a bad thing. The theory behind the low carb diet is if you dont eat any sugars, your body cant burn any, therefore it burns your fat. thats also why low carb eaters consume alot of protein. thats to prevent muscle loss. if you happen to be on a low carb diet long enough you will start burning muscle, hence the high protein intake.

but basically, no diet works long term and significantly without excersize. thats what it all comes down to. no pill or wonder diet or surgery will do a damn thing without good excersize and healthy diet.

did you know that as long as you walk, and yes i said walk, at least a mile a day, every day, you will never gain a pound. you can eat as much as you want, and as long as you walk a mile every day you will not gain a thing.

so basically, if you wanna lose weight, go and walk a couple miles, or jog on a treadmill. thats the best solution for it, not some stupid low carb diet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that most people would prefer the remote and their favorite junk food. Which is pretty much what I tell the lazy kids that don't want to walk the block to their house. "What'sa matter? You in a hurry to eat Ho-Ho's and watch TV all night?" Then they wonder why they are in 8th grade and nearly two spins with two chins. It doesn't take much to figure out. Read the nutrition contents and figure your activity that day. Walking from the couch to the fridge does not count either.

It could be worse. In Chicago they actually celebrate people who are fat like it's some badge of honor. Some random guy who's about 6'0" and 335 lbs (which would make his man boobs larger than Britney's D cup) brags how big he is. I'll take the under on "Heart Attack < 5 years". He'll even go to places called "More Than All You Can Eat" and eats 3 lbs of food like it's an appetizer.

Ditka, Polish Sausage, Bears...heart attack

heh

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verman wrote:
One cannot overlook the fact that as your body ages, your metabolism changes as well. After 40, the adage is: You gain 5 lbs a year if you're not active and mindful of a balanced diet.

YOu know, this was absolutely true for me, however it started at around 30. For 3 years, I was not doing much activities (whereas I was doing a lot of sports when I was younger), and suddenly, I started taking weight, 15 pounds during these 3 years.

Now, I exercise regularly, lifting weights, running, and hockey, and it stopped. I eat whatever I want, even though I try to avoid fast food AMAP. I feel a lot better too.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:
[......Now, I exercise regularly, lifting weights, running, and hockey, and it stopped. I eat whatever I want, even though I try to avoid fast food AMAP. I feel a lot better too.

Same thing here PJ. Spending a bit of money with the health club and training, but do feel the benefits. May not have lost all the fat I have, but am stronger, and more fit than ever. Just had to get measured for a suit 2 sizes bigger than my last.
`RaphX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that there's anything wrong with cutting back, but it's mostly a case of cutting back on many things, not just one complete food group. Anyone who does go for the Atkins diet might be better served telling his/her doctor and having the doctor modify it to something that might prove more beneficial in the long term. Cutting back on carbs to a less-than-Atkins extent isn't so bad - it's just like watching your fat intake and being sure to eat less fast food etc.

Doctors I speak to usually say the same thing: people don't want to hear the truth, that it's more about eating more sensibly and exercising a little more, and not going for the quick-fix. Of course, I'm 22 and stick-thin, but no doubt I'll be needing to keep an eye on things in years to come.

I'm gonna be one of those boring, repetitive people now, who always says things, like take the stairs instead of the elevator, use a far away parking spot and give yourself a 5 or 10 minute walk, and sometimes it's easier to do shorter exercise routines of 10 minutes two or three times a day, while waiting for dinner to cook or something, than to arrange to find a whole half hour in one go.

Wow, I can be really boring, when I so choose.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: