FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Question of the week
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndeadProtoss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: fate/destiny Reply with quote

i believe that only in special cases has your life been planned, like for the girl your going to marry. And you yourself choose the path of how to get their, and if you screw up then there is an alternate destiny for you, like instead of getting the perfect girl you get some bitch

also, .999... is equal to 1!
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sick of following my dreams, i'm gonna find out where they are going and meet up with them later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: whoaa..hehe..good question Reply with quote

this is a good question and i am really interested in answering it..hehehe..HmmmMM..At first, I believein fate/destiny but after I've gone through several life failures..i think im falling into both..hehehe. Yup, fate and free choice/will. There are times in your life when you have no control over what you do cause everything just puts you there but other times, you have choices to choose ..where to go in your life...

4buckbroke
Darkath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of both...

I think we were all destined to do something specific, but our choices affect the outcome

For example: Michael Jordan was destined to be a basketball player, but based on his choice to work hard and be determined, he turned out to be arguably the best basketball player that ever lived. At some point, he could have chosen to be lazy and apathetic about basketball, and he may not have made it to the NBA at all based on that choice.

Kinda weird opinion, but that's how I think of it. Some things are just too weird to be explained by free will, and the same goes for fate.

^^^ Clicky
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Free will -- a pretty shaky theory. . . . . Predestination -- another shaky theory" - from "The Rolling Stones" by Robert Heinlein.

As C. S. Lewis writes in his book "Miracles" [I think] we experience in an intuitive way the tension between these two aspects of life in the play "Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles.

The nutshell story is about Laius & Jocasta - King & Queen of Thebes. An oracle prophesied that their son would kill his father and have children by his mother. To prevent the prophecy from coming true she has a sheperd take the child to the mountains and expose it to the elements to die.

Instead the child is taken in and raised as the son of King Polybus.
After growing up as he is traveling the road to Delphi he meets a man on the road has a dispute with him and kills him (unknow to Oedipus this was King Laius). He then goes to Thebes and frees the people from the pestilence of the riddling Sphinx and is honored by the hand in marriage of the now widowed Queen Jocasta.

12 years later this is revealed to them, Jocasta commits suicide and Oedipus puts out his eyes and banishes himself.

SOOOOOO. . . . were all of Oedipus's actions and those of others determined by fate or by free will? Uhhhhhhh --- YES!!!

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks guys and gals for your oppinions and yes this was for a report...HAHAHA SUCKERS YOU WROTE ANOTHER ONE OF MY REPORTS FOR ME. THE EASIEST THING I HAVE EVER WROTE AND ALL I HAVE TO DO IS COPY AND PASTE MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

PSYKE NO I WAS JUST WONDERING...whoops left caps on

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't need to use up that much space, Speaker...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question of the week Reply with quote

Speaker for the Dead wrote:
alright guys its been a while since i have spammed an honest question and expect to get an honest answer to.
here it is

What do you believe in fate/destiny or free will/choice

i believe in free will/choice the reason for this is quite simple i refuse to believe that my life has been figured out for me without my conscent or knowledge. for this reason and this reason alone i do not believe in destiny/fate

what is your answers to this question

Y'know - I posted a similar question a while back on a different forum because it had been bugging me that in a philosophy class on this subject, despite all my best efforts not to, I fell reluctantly but firmly on the side of...not fate as that tends to imply some kind of controlling force but definitely on the side of determinism (the notion that everything comes down to physical rules, that the brain is not made from anything different than the rest of the universe and thus is subject to the same rules - specifically the rule of cause and effect).

Emotionally I keep wanting to say free will, because to lose that would be terrible (not just personally - how would the justice system work if there were no free will?). But unfortunately emotion isn't a strong argument for it being true.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: