FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
&^%^ @$$ computer!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: &^%^ @$$ computer!!! Reply with quote

Ok, my computer has decided that rather then run at semi-optimal levels, it would rather freeze and crash randomly... Id defragged and scandisked the thing half to death and also scaned for viruses with both freeware and commercial software and NOTHING has helped... Im wondering if anyone would have a solution to this outragously annoying problem?
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a semi-new computer? And maybe posting the specs might help people solve your problem.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viruses are one thing. Did you scan for spyware and what not?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i just use AdAware 6! Its free, updates, and has taken loads off the other comp. in my house.
Deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An educated guess is memory issues.

Goto http://www.memtest86.com/

Download their mem tester, make a disk and run it on reboot, if you get ANY error at all, your memory is bad or has issues and should be replaced.

Hope that helps

Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with deathbringer i had the problem where my computer kept rebooting from time to time and restarting on the lowest cpu setting etc etc..everytime i tried to bump it up it would either just keep rebooting or run ok for a bit then just restart...thought it was a virus did all that shiat still no change,then i thought it was my power supply so started unplugging everything except for harddrive still no luck.changed power supply(have afew spare lying around) still no luck.even changed the cpu figuring it was hooped from overcloaking nope not the problem..turns out it was the ram i had so much dust in there that it caused something to go wrong ... got the compressed air cleaned her out and put in some new ram and that did it...go figure hard lesson learned. but it did piss me off enough that even though it worked i had no faith in that mobo any more so i upgraded mobo cpu and ram

RIP- BlueRuler
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently realized that mine was running really really slow. It was taking forever for things to boot up and they wouldn't run very efficiently. I downloaded a trial version of Registry Mechanic and ran it. I'm not sure what it did but my comp it running fast again. I am not sure if this pertains to you or not but it couldn't hurt to try it, it is free . Just go to downloads.com, it is there.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno whats up with it... Its an older system - 800 MHz processor, 384 MB of RAM, 40 Gig hd, Windows ME - I know its bad, but I cant upgrade it for some odd reason... I scan regularly with Adaware 6.0 as well... Ill try some of the software that was posted. Ill get back to you guys soon I suppose.

Thanks .
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard ME was good at crashing computers.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good place for this great picture...

If you run Adware6 make sure that you change the settings to scan everything, by default it does not. And you can change some other things in "Tweak" under the settings icon.

Then when you run a scan use the custom scan option. This may or may not solve the current locking up issue, but it will solve other issues i'm sure.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese wrote:
This looks like a good place for this great picture...

If you run Adware6 make sure that you change the settings to scan everything, by default it does not. And you can change some other things in "Tweak" under the settings icon.

Then when you run a scan use the custom scan option. This may or may not solve the current locking up issue, but it will solve other issues i'm sure.

#Rofl that pretty good

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scanned with those settings Hammy and it seems to run better, but Ill have to see.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: