FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
10 second Tips || DoD 105
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Amnesty from flames?
EG, you're a dum@$$
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
I wouldn't give you amnesty from flames if you were bathing in gasoline
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Only for incompetents like.. I miss Blue
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I'm seeing if voting for this will help me resist the urge to flame some moron...
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: 10 second Tips || DoD 105 Reply with quote

What's one technique that take 10 seconds to execute that has made you a better player?

Anything is fair game here. Seating adjustments, key re-bindings, 1337 nade-spam locations, monitor brightness adjustments, walls to spam with a rifle, etc. I'm sure if you've been playing for long there has to be something that you noticed at one point which has given you an edge since.

I know things like grenade bounces on Anzio, seen executed by Clone Rizzo, are things I might have never picked up on my own. Surely everyone has 1 or 2 of these, right?

Maybe we can even get amnesty from flames for seemingly "obvious" or "wrong" suggestions, on the basis that:
1. Everyone plays differently, and different things will work for different people and
2. Everyone has been playing for a different ammount of time and things which seem evident to you might seem brilliant to n0obs.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution:

As a Brit on Flash, don't just nade-spam the middle flag: nade-spam the roof of the brown building on the left. If you do it right, you can roll one down practically right on top of the sandbag where an MG-42 is usually deployed. Might take a couple of tries to master, but is probably worth the effort.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

Ten

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn OFF mouse acceleration. Good god, do it.

Nade spam. Especially on the downramp at Switch.

If you see a nade thrown with an arm throwing motion, grab it and throw it back. 1337. When there is no animation it's already primed.

If you're in a really bad spot and know that you're about to die - especially when a grenade lands at your feet. Grab the thing and throw it in the direction of the bad people even if it kills you. It will make you tough.

When you're being "Asshole Guerrila" like me - deep in the enemies zone, pick up one of their weapons. They simply won't respond to the sound of their own weapons firing especially on an FF off server. You'll have at least five - ten seconds before they're on to you that you're in their zone busting them up. They must never talk about it amongst each other because I get away with some awful shit like this.

Always set a weapon to Q. Primary weapon, then select pistol/shovel or knife. Run out of ammo or miss with the Kar, pull out that stabby device or 'stile. NO ONE can pull out the 'stile as fast as Rizzo, good god.

If you're trying to clear out upper levels in a house (like the Suze building in Donner, Brit house in Flash, Allied tower in Anzio, wheelhouse in Kalt etc.) prime your nade so much that it looks possessed and wants to kill you. Don't be a whimp and just drop it, pick it up and throw it. Cook the thing like there's no tomorrow. Then throw it at the top of the windowsill so that it explodes right there, killing everything and everyone. Nades that aren't primed perfectly can actually be thrown back or may fall down the stairs and kill nothing. You're also guarenteed a "nn" 50% of the time.

As Axis on Flash, spam the wall/window overlooking the middle flag. I hit two guys with one bullet- first though the wall which hit one in the head, the bullet apparently traveled through his head through the next wall and killed the dood that was passing through on the other side of it. Wow I got called tEH HAX for that one. "OMG Ten yard u download skill?"
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hud_fastswitch 1. type it in console. Get used to quick switching to pistol, it is extremely important for rifle users. I always run through tight passageways with my pistol out.

if you want to use a rifle, you have to learn how to strafe shoot, period. With the kar, you strafe out, fire, take cover while reloading, repeat. With the garand, you want to strafe quickly back and forth to shoot as many bullets as possible before your gun goes ping. Although with the garand, you probably want to play more conservatively because it's better suited to popping off a full clip in 2 seconds at a crowd of enemies than trying to drop individual targets (especially auto spammers and far-away snipers.)

Try and "learn" what other players are going to do. Even the best players have a set pattern or route they like to run. If you can outthink the other player you can get the jump on him and kill him even if he has a faster reaction time than you.

And always, ALWAYS prime your nades.
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprint while throwing your nades make them fly farther..im pretty sure most of you already know that...but what i do is sprint then jump releasing the nade while im in the air..it seems to push it alittle farther.
Ten

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vTEC wrote:
sprint while throwing your nades make them fly farther..im pretty sure most of you already know that...but what i do is sprint then jump releasing the nade while im in the air..it seems to push it alittle farther.

That's damn right. If you're Axis and have the Suze building in Donner, you can launch nades all the way from that window to the far corner of the building road straight ahead adjacent to the second flag. It's great for when they bunch up in there and hope not to be picked off.
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if you see a guy crouching, aim for the body not the head. AFAIK the crouching player model's head hitbox is in some weird spot, not where it should be.
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headphones are good too...use stopsound listen to foot steps watch for the fire from gun shots...

if using thompson aim for upper body..you get kills faster

if your k98 and your in close combat with someone strafe shoot strafe jump stop shoot strafe jump...keep repeating if necessary until you or your enemey is dead..

bouncing nades is a great way to get kills..bounce off of people if you have too..whatever it'll bounce on use it
DrNickRiviera

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniping Positions:
Some of my positions are unusual, and people never expect me there. I have rounds where I can get like 25 people be fore I die. I also believe a dark spot isnt best for sniping. In dark areas, the flash of gunfire is easier to see and gives away your location faster. Thirdly, I love a good sniper battle. When I am in this, especially on avalanche, if i am allied i go to the window. He will miss his shot as will I if we are both good snipers, and instead of going and hiding around a corner, i jump down the 4th flag and surprise him. He will be looking in the window, and I get an easy shot. Fourthly, never be scared to rush with a sniper rifle. I get many an unscoped kill, and am able to sneak behind enemy lines, and hide behind them. Then its like shootin fish in a barrel.

Rifleman:
Since I restarted playing I havent remasterd my moves with a kar or garand. I use to in the past however, do one thing I found extremely advantageous. I never walked around a corner. I would jump and crouch and nail the paerson with good accuracy instead of many shots.
[HALO]cpt._Keyes

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big tactic that chief and i are famous for...melee kills...no one is used to melee kills...normally i jump off the skybridge on avalanche and get in that mass of people normally congregating there...and whack away...they dont know what to do, sudden fast scary effective
clone rizzo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bind a key close to your wasd hand as "stopsound" use it at the beginning of every map and also when triggered sounds like mortars and bombers come up.

something fun i just learned recently is that you take less damage from nades when you're prone so if you're gonna die try doing a sprint-jump-prone away from the nade

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate how a lot of people will throw nades without knowing if anyone is there. I almost never use my nade unless I think someone is there. When playing against the same people a lot you should know where they like to go and be able to prime a nade and get them most of the time. Use nades sparingly, but if you don't use a nade every life you have its a wasted life.

If you ever find yourself completely behind enemies, use your melee weapon instead of shooting. Shooting is too noisey.

If you have enough hp left, don't be afraid to jump off a building if you think it will surprise people, especially on avalanche. A lot of times if you fall onto some debris or some object it will not take much if any hp off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are going to jump off a high building try and land on a slope. The game doesn't count damage against you if the hill is steep enough. A good example of this is jumping from the apartments to that big piece of rubble in front of axis flag 2.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on using weapons behind enemy lines is actually to avoid melee kills--it's a complete tip off to the enemy that you're RIGHT THERE. At least, for those who have good situational awareness and see "ShovelMeSilly <shoveled> Our Sniper who's always in teh Sniper Loft" they now know EXACTLY where you are. So, melee kills are fun, but using your pistol (which seems to me to be somewhat quieter) or a captured weapon will gain you just that much more time/confusion.

Another tip: use you mini-map, and your death-listings to your advantage, especially if you hear gunfire further in the back than you think you should. For example on Kalt, seeing an ally-indicator turn to the DEAD-indicator (in the courtyard you can't see into) is a sure tip off of enemy having gotten there (i.e. through the sewers). Be a hero and go in prepared, or prime a nade and dump it in there. It could easily save 3-4 of your teammates life who HAVEN'T realized what's going on.

John Doe wrote:

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with EG about the melee weapons. The only reason it works so well on a pub is because people really don't care enough to realise that they have an enemy in their base. They might tell their team but usually they just go right past. Using a captured weapon is the best way to do it.

Also, the mini map is very useful to find out things. I know on donner, people are always asking if the bunker is ours. All they have to do it press m to open their map and see if anyone on your team is there. If not, then we don't have the bunker.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: