FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did Einstein play TFC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TargetDummy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's 8pm, my 1 year-old son is asleep, my wife tells me she's going to read before bed, and my chores are all done. The coast is clear to feed the monkey on my back.

With a barely heard "Don't stay up too late..." from my wife, I fire up the computer, thinking "In bed by 10:30, wake up at 6, no problem!".

I get into TV IV and get warmed up finishing off Epicenter. I change class to medic and the dirty work of learning a new class begins. I hook up with a decent HW, and we waltz through a couple maps practically indestructible. That guy leaves the game, I switch to engy, and have some really fun battles with a bunch of talented players. Eventually I notice that there are only about 4 people on the server. I start to wonder why no one is playing at 9:30 on a Thurs. night. I look over at the clock: 1:24am!

WTF?

How does that happen? I swear I was only on for 2 hours max!

My wife wants an explanation, but the only thing I can come up with is that fun is incredibly dense. So dense in fact that fun can affect the curvature of space. My enjoyment that night was so dense that I curved space/time and brought the points 8:00pm and 1:24am closer together. Where for me, only 2 hours had passed but for the rest of the dull world, more than 5 hours had gone by.

She didn't buy it. I think her exact words were "You're incredibly dense!"

I got poopy diaper duty for the whole weekend, and NO sympathy for my sorry state on Friday.

You guys beleive me don't you?

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate defying the laws of space time. It makes me sluggish in the morning.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO !!!

I just can't figure out how you managed to stop that early
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFC Time is not the same as real time. I am not sure it can be explained.

TFC time is much better than real time BTW. Too bad they dont even offer minimum wage for defending the flag so well. I mean you lay your life on the line constantly and what do you get? Nothing! How unfair. Ah well, such is life.

JD
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you. Have you ever seen any of the old foggies that play on this server? They're all in bodies of teenagers I swear! So for TFC gamers, you bend the rules of space/time continuum so while you "age" by the rules of the calender, you still retain your youthful charms and looks. That is why we still have some 20 something year-olds who still can't spell for peanuts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Target Dummy I believe Stephen Hawking covered this in "A Brief History of Time". Time is a human made beast. So the "time" that elapsed while you were playing, doesn't really exist. Since he basically proved Einstein was wrong in his statement "Nature does not play dice". In fact it does. Sometimes nature throws them where they can not be seen. Now your wife and your boss would probably laugh them selves into a fit if you told them that. So I would stick with "oops".

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to break her in more slowly next time. Pretty soon you'll be playing earlier and staying up later, patience Grasshoppa, she too will learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can be a dangerous trail ... Eventually my wife wondered what was keeping me up so late at night and started playing at the Ville as well. Next thing I know I'm being awakened at 3:45 am to kick a couple Llamas off the server
PondScum007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh my...happens all the time- every weekend my enitre schedule get smessed up from falling asleep almsot while playing TFC...once i marathoned 5pm to 2:30am playing TFC whilst listening to this rave broadcast...i couldnt make the 14 hours..i tried! i really did!...but after that long, one has to at least move a few feet or go mad...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-04 16:45, CyCoDad wrote:
That can be a dangerous trail ... Eventually my wife wondered what was keeping me up so late at night and started playing at the Ville as well. Next thing I know I'm being awakened at 3:45 am to kick a couple Llamas off the server

Thats funny...the sunrise usually tells me i got about 4 maybe 5 more hours max before work so i might wanna stay up cause if i go down for the count now ill never get back up.
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This effect is known as "TFC time-dilation". Kind of like time dilation in Einsteinian Relativity. When playing TFC the local space-time for the player appears normal, but relative to normal space-time the players clock appears to be running slow, so that while only 1 or 2 hours passes for the user in TFC space-time, 3 to 7 hours have passed in normal space-time.

The magnitude of the dilation is proportional to the fun factor (known as FF). The more fun the player is having the greater the time dilation. This effect is especially severe at The Ville due to the very high FF on these servers.

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
thewz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people play way too much tfc. I play on average 30 minutes a day on weekdays, and at the most 4 hours a day on the weekend. Although I have gone on a 7pm-5am marathon before.
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im usually on for about 3 or 4 hours monday through thursday and sunday on and off, The weekends however, are strictly reserved for Bars, beers, partying hardcore and chasing scantilly clad Women. on saturday ill might get on for about 45 minutes or so to kill time before I go out.

TargetDummy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joking aside, I am lucky that my wife is as understanding as she is. The other day she was reading an article in one of her magazines. It was a first hand account from a woman who had been married to a heroin addict. She was ticking off the signs of addiction:
The rapid heart rate and sense of euphoria after a "hit"
The use of new vocabulary based on the addiction
New friends with the same habits
Trouble sleeping
Haunted look between "hits"
Shaking
Twitching
etc...

Face it people, we are classic addicts, and we should be grateful that anyone in our lives ( family, friends, neighbors - if you have the computer hooked up to your stereo )puts up with us!

And sadly, CycoDad and I are guilty of the worst sin an addict can commit: getting our spouses hooked on the same drug.

Luckily my wife hasn't gotten hooked on the hard stuff yet (she plays Black and White), especially considering we only have 1 computer, but she's starting to get that haunted look. And I think I saw some shaking and twitching the other day...
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or as Q from the show star Trek Voyager would
say, TFC Time Continuium..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: