FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Same topic different views?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Same topic different views? Reply with quote

well for those of you who remember when i was writing my report on game violence for my english class im doing it again for my psyc class. i just wanted to know if any of you changed your view or if anyone knew(seeng as we got so many new ppl ) wanted to add their view to

incase any of you needed the link to the old thread here it is

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14654

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that was a clear and to the point post...good thing you added a link

Game violence is nothing more than an extension of the males penis.

When you are working your way throught the game it is nothing more than a shout out...hey look at me Ive got the biggest penis. Of course for some...its hey I dont have a penis cause I suck at games.
So if you want to have a big penis and show it off to your friends make sure your good at violent games!

Of course when someone verbally attacks you and harrasses you about your small penies...well you then get violent on them, making sure whatever size penis they have it is not going to work anymore.
So to sum up sucking at or being good at Violent games can cause violence.

This can be avoided by not sucking or not being an a$$hole if you don't.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure said the word penis a lot.

I think violence in video games can have an effect but doesn't decide people actions for them. So my view is the same pretty much.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its for a different class just make a few small changes and re print it

*edit* unless it has to b a different size
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, ROOF you really need to restart taking those pills!
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (wow, what a concept) that games, tv, movies etc. that contain violence have different effects on individuals. Some become grumpy/testy/irritible while some are unaffected. Case in point, after playing Halo for 5 hours, Kent is more likely to become more easily upset than if he were not participating in such a game. I know that I sometimes become this way, when Kent tries to take away the laptop while I am playing, I snap at him (love you Kent). He has since learned not to do that I know not to mess with him immediately after he plays. These effects do not last long, however, in most people. It is the people who cannot separate the two that are problems in society. My brother, for example, has tried to kill (literally) my sister and myself when we touch the phone (we have dial-up) while he is playing online. He continues to be violent for at least a week after playing. So, it depends.
Was that semi-intelligent?

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give me a k98 and go stand by the wall speaker..
Turbo!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:

When you are working your way throught the game it is nothing more than a shout out...hey look at me Ive got the biggest penis. Of course for some...its hey I dont have a penis cause I suck at games.
So if you want to have a big penis and show it off to your friends make sure your good at violent games!

Of course when someone verbally attacks you and harrasses you about your small penies...well you then get violent on them, making sure whatever size penis they have it is not going to work anymore.

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo! wrote:
ROOFCUTTER wrote:

I guess that's a response...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:

i have one question then roof if its all about teh penis then what about women that play violent games? whats it about then

also now that im not making jokes ! i would like to say thank you all for your help and your point of view now when i turn my report into a speech(for the same class ) i have many more ideas. Again thank you all

-Speaker

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker for the Dead wrote:

i have one question then roof if its all about teh penis then what about women that play violent games? whats it about then
-Speaker

Well it still has to do with the Penis. except they dont have one so they get really pissed off and go postal...they are the real danger, beware

what kind of grade did we all get last time?

maybe you should copy paste it and we can see if you wrote it or if it was a collection of posts... if so that would be really crafty of you making you the biggest penis around
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO] Mrs. Keyes wrote:
I think (wow, what a concept) that games, tv, movies etc. that contain violence have different effects on individuals. Some become grumpy/testy/irritible while some are unaffected. Case in point, after playing Halo for 5 hours, Kent is more likely to become more easily upset than if he were not participating in such a game. I know that I sometimes become this way, when Kent tries to take away the laptop while I am playing, I snap at him (love you Kent). He has since learned not to do that I know not to mess with him immediately after he plays. These effects do not last long, however, in most people. It is the people who cannot separate the two that are problems in society. My brother, for example, has tried to kill (literally) my sister and myself when we touch the phone (we have dial-up) while he is playing online. He continues to be violent for at least a week after playing. So, it depends.

yeah keyes and i got pretty angry one night playing dod. we were up all night screaming BS! or OMG!

games might cause angry outburst at the time but I know that it is still just a game. Anyone that thinks its ok to go out shooting people because they did it in a game obviously was not raised very well. They should know what is right and wrong.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Master_Chief wrote:
[HALO] Mrs. Keyes wrote:

yeah keyes and i got pretty angry one night playing dod. we were up all night screaming BS! or OMG!

games might cause angry outburst at the time but I know that it is still just a game. Anyone that thinks its ok to go out shooting people because they did it in a game obviously was not raised very well. They should know what is right and wrong.

Not raised very well, good point Chiefy. At some point parents have to accept responsibility for their childrens behaviour.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that they think it's okay to go out and shoot someone. I think if someone plays violent games enough and they are easily affected by it, the violence becomes more natural to them. People who have never been exposed to voilence in games, movies, etc., they will think of violence as the last thing they will resort to. People who are exposed to violence in games, movies, etc. all the time think of violence as a more common thing and will resort to using violence more often. For some people this just elevates to coming to someone and shooting them for no real reason. Now that's my view on how violence in video games can affect a person.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Well it still has to do with the Penis. except they dont have one so they get really pissed off and go postal...they are the real danger, beware

what kind of grade did we all get last time?

maybe you should copy paste it and we can see if you wrote it or if it was a collection of posts... if so that would be really crafty of you making you the biggest penis around

here it is

Do violent video games and computer games cause actual violence in society? Many people have done studies on this and it is cut into about half and half. On the side of yes it does cause violence is mostly parents and religious organizations but some students even think it does and vice versa for who thinks it does not cause violence in society. Most people blame games for the simple fact that it is easier to have a scapegoat then to actually take the blame yourself. Others say that it is the parents fault for not watching their children. Either way the blame is being put on someone else but no one asks the everyday gamer what causes violence in society the games or the person.
One leader in the war against violent games is a Lt. Co. Dave Grossman, a former US. Army Ranger and psychological professor at West Point. In his book On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society he states that in the Civil War about 15-20% of soldiers would actually shoot at the enemy but by the time the military came out with a new 4 part conditioning in which they broke the soldier, taught them to laugh at violence, replaced bull’s eyes with silhouettes of humans, and finally convinced the soldiers that it was a noble act to kill your enemy. This conditioning worked so well by the time WW1 came around the total went from 20-95%.
For others like Greg Costikyan, a writer for Salon.com, states that the reason for violence in games and the popularity for them is that it is the easiest solution for game designers and the most graphic. Organizations like Coalition Against Violent Video Games and MAVIA (Mothers Against Violence in America) say that it is because of violent games that young people and teens are causing so much violence.
But on the other hand some people believe that it is actually the parents fault for not sheltering their children from this and that they should also be aware of what their children buy, play, and watch. One such group (Epinions.com) states that we (Human beings) have a violent history from Mayan handball to Roman Gladiators to even European Colonial Pistol Duals. Human society has been violent and it is not because of games that it has continued. “If a child does not seem to be able to make this distinction, or is not yet mature enough to deal with it, then the child should have limited exposure to anything that is suspected to make the child behave violently.” (Epinions)
Many people don’t look at the fact that violence is inherent in people if it wasn’t then we as a race wouldn’t have survived when we were on the bottom of the food chain. But we have also inherited another attribute from our ancestors and that is the need to be in a group. Violence is enhanced and subdued by the fact that we need a society to survive. If we are in a society that loves and cherishes us we would do anything to keep it which means we would defend it but also we would not harm it. On the same note if the society is bad to us it will be us who is the one terrorizing the society and destroying it.This is important because if it wasn’t for that attribute then these crimes would never have happened. This is bases on the fact that most of the crimes are cause on the fact that the criminals were cast aside from society whether it be from their peers or families. This is what will cause many people to act out and when most people act out they will undoubtedly act on their most primal urges which is violence. To prevent this from happening we need to put less blame on others and step back to look at the big picture. Games didn’t put these ideas into a persons head but it might have given them the know how to accomplish this task. But then again they could have learned strategy from anywhere whether it is the Discovery Channel, books on war, or even the internet. We as a race do not hid our warmongering history. We put these materials out there so that we don’t repeat history but learn from it and you can learn it in two ways. First is to put it to the test and start war the other is avoid war. We hope for the second but sometimes get the first. This is encouraged by schools and even parents.
We encourage kids to read and what keeps their attention better than a war story. Hollywood makes big money on war movies. In school they have entire chapters to wars and this is not to blame for children going to schools and shooting them up the answer is no but it doesn’t help the situation. So if video games with violence in them are to blame then what is an entire chapter in school text books blamed for? If it is entirely the games fault then why haven’t they been banned or at least restricted. Parents also encourage their children to violence when they buy the game. If you don’t think that the game has a positive influence on your child don’t buy it for them also the story so make games with violence rated R so that only 18 year olds can buy it or parents. The games do not show up out of nowhere but they are in fact bought by the parents who later blame the companies of the game for warping the kids mind. But they neglect the fact that they didn’t tell their children not to play it, to get their kid into other activities or to even not buy the game at all.
David Walsh, Ph.D. National Institute on Media and Family says “Concern about violent video and computer games is based on the assumption that they contribute to aggression and violence among young players” he states that this hypothesized was based on an extensive body of research about the effects of television violence on children’s behavior.
“Based on this research, many social scientists have hypothesized that we should expect video games to have an even greater impact for the following four reasons.
1. Children are more likely to imitate the actions of a character with whom they identify. In violent video games the player is often required to take the point of view of the shooter or perpetrator.
2. Video games by their very nature require active participation rather than passive observation.
3. Repetition increases learning. Video games involve a great deal of repetition. If the games are violent, then the effect is a behavioral rehearsal for violent activity.
4. Rewards increase learning, and video games are based on a reward system. ” (Walsh)
But he does bring up the point that violent games do make people hostile to their environment.
So far we have heard from both sides but here are some views from actual gamers (people who play the games). One such gamer (Species) states “I think that if somebody especially children who go out and kill are born with the "F*ck Up Gene" and it's only a matter of time before they run into what triggers they're pent up madness. Take these kids who played Grand Theft Auto 3 and are now blaming the game for they're stupid actions.” (Ville, Internet)
There are many positive things that violent games do for people. As stated earlier violence was inherited from our ancestors with this in mind we can get all our aggression and stress out in the game so that we don’t in fact turn it on our fellow man/woman. “Have you ever heard someone tell you to hit a pillow. The point of this exercise is to release the on an object so that you don’t instead turn it on a person. Video games act no different than that very same process. By playing these games you release any “negative” energy you have in the game.”(VP, Ville)
In the fight for video and computer games with violence opinions are everywhere but the fight the games not causing actual violence in society is starting to pull ahead. This is because many people are now taking a step back from the situations and looking at the big picture closer. As more people do this they start to see that it isn’t the games causing the violence but it is a group of varieties in each case and no case is the same other than the games are being blamed for it. They now see that it is the parents fault and the society that the child was brought up in. they see now that they cant group these cases together into one big bound but have to look at each case separate and impartial. We as a race were brought up with violent tendencies for that is one of the key factors for our survival. But our other key factor both repels our violent tendencies and enhances them. On that note I leave u with a question. What do you thing games do for society now?

thats all of it

i believe i got a b on it but i dont really remember. i only really used ur posts in the end

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: