FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Arg at mouse sensitivity. :@
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Arg at mouse sensitivity. :@ Reply with quote

Have you ever considered what mouse sensitivity does to your game? Too low and you can't control recoil worth anything, to high and you can't even point a bolt action toward the continent your opponent is on.

Closer to 1 - better for rifles, worse for heavy autos.

Closer to ~15 - better for heavy autos, worse for rifles.

For the past month or so, I've went from using a 3.9 to a 5.5. It just caught my attention recently that I'm terrible with a K98 or Garand unless I'm having an awesome day. It's either or. However, my long range BAR, standing BAR and all around FG42 has never been better. It's much easier to control as long as I've put my crosshairs on the enemy first - but getting them there can be a problem. ...It's really not a good way to play the game really when you think about it. It's turned me into a camper . Kind of. An aggressive camper, but still a camper.

I've heard two different things.

Frank Sajak says use a mouse sensitivity of 14 or so. Standing BAR feels like a Colt. He is/was a BAR whore.

Clone Rizzo says use a mouse sensitivity of 1 and use a big mouse pad. He's a rifleman primarily.

So what the hell? I despise the feeling of not being able to nail someone in the distance with my BAR, but I can't stand feeling nubbed on Flash because I can't hit someone if my life depended on it - my MP44 even suffers as a result.

Anyway, so after pondering this for a while and getting pretty pissed at missing easy shots, I tried a 4.4 last night and was kicking face with the Garand and my BAR practically feels the same. #Fade in It's like a whole new game that I've found a happy medium. I simply didn't want to screw with my sensitivity, I wanted to get used to it. But after a month of using the same 5.5 sens, I was still missing where I shouldn't be.

Anyway, I recommend that you mess around with your sensitivity despite what some people say. "Don't screw with it because it'll mess you up and you'll lose your already established ability to aim". Well, it does make a big difference, probably the biggest difference you can make by tweaking a setting. No one can ever aim perfectly. It's an issue with every player, finding a sensitivity that helps you the most should be an important option.
omgshovelyouinthebutt?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingame sens for me is full
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to be at 4, then i went to 18 when i was a BAR whore for a bit, and now that im back to rifles, i am at 8. i need a different config depending on the gun used.

i have a problem though that my stupid mouse drives dont recognize im in game, and keep mouse acceleration, i move my mouse quick to aim and i spin around 3 times.
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? I say a higher sensitivity is better than a low one. I want to be able to jerk my crosshair as fast as I can at that suspicious shadow in the corner of my eye, instead of dragging my mouse several times over my mouse pad to get to the same point, regardless of what gun I'm using.

I play with sensitivity 15 with all of the mods. Whenever I switch back to 3, I feel incredibly sluggish.

Work up to a higher number using intervals of 2--start at your norm, then add two, and when you're confident using that sens, add two more. That's how I got up to 15 and I've never looked back.

Different mice require different sensitivity, however. My friend uses sens 80 (some other ridiculously high number) and I've seen his screen, it moves just as fast as mine with 15.
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 13 or so on all mods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never thought of changing my mouse sensitivity for DoD or any game. I always had problems making quick movements and died a lot because of it...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the standard 3.0 mouse sensitivity. I may have to give other numbers a try though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use 10.4 in dod. i cant even begin to imagine useing 1 like clone. but maybe i will play with it a bit to see how i do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazebari wrote:
Eh? I say a higher sensitivity is better than a low one. I want to be able to jerk my crosshair as fast as I can at that suspicious shadow in the corner of my eye, instead of dragging my mouse several times over my mouse pad to get to the same point, regardless of what gun I'm using.

I wouldn't say it's better at all. Being able to jerk your crosshair like that also takes precision, not just speed. If you can be perfectly precise with that speed - then it's working out I guess. You're definitely exaggerating dragging your mouse over the pad, I spin 180 if I move it an inch.

But higher sens means you're skipping over more pixels quicker with less control. Odds are that someone of equal skill is going to kill you at long range more than 5/10.

Quote:
Different mice require different sensitivity, however. My friend uses sens 80 (some other ridiculously high number) and I've seen his screen, it moves just as fast as mine with 15.

Isn't 20 the limit? Or is NS or whatever different?

... Now that you mention it, I wonder if your mouse settings in Windows have anything to do with how sensitive your DoD sensitivity is. I use fully jacked Windows sensitivity. I like 2 clik reel 1337
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip!! I messed with mine a little just to see the difference. I didn't have it set long enough to like it or hate it. It may be time to start adjusting it.

*I will sticky this for a bit*

God Bless You Blue Ruler
omgshovelyouinthebutt?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i roll with 20 on all games, i find it much easier to aim/defend myself and control my recoil.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight 5.5 here for all mods and guns. It's nice because my screen pretty much follows my mouse exactly, speed and distance. If I scoot my mouse 2 inches to the right, I'm going to turn approximately 2 inches to the right (inches on my screen, not pretend in-game inches). Any time someone changes my mosue sensitivity even slighty, my whole game is completely off.

I couldn't imagine using a mousepad for anything, much less in a fps at 1 sensitivity. If anyone uses a mousepad, treat yourself! Buy a real mouse and enjoy computer gaming as it should be played!

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that i've paly4ed ina while... but mine is usually pretty high. whatexactly i'm not sure but i use a high # and a big mouse pad... maybe i'm weird
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:

I wouldn't say it's better at all. Being able to jerk your crosshair like that also takes precision, not just speed. If you can be perfectly precise with that speed - then it's working out I guess. You're definitely exaggerating dragging your mouse over the pad, I spin 180 if I move it an inch.

But higher sens means you're skipping over more pixels quicker with less control. Odds are that someone of equal skill is going to kill you at long range more than 5/10.

I wish I WAS exaggerating. I need to move my mouse approximately one and a half(15/10--you crazy Canadians, not content with using 10s for measuring distance, you now refuse to simplify? :O DAMN YOU SYSTEME INTERNATIONALE!) mouse pad lengths to spin 180.

And there is no one of equal skill to me. I've given up DoD because, you know, I'm getting tired of opening my mailbox and finding fruitbaskets mailed by people so wowed by experiencing my total awesomeness that they feel a constant urge to pay homage to me. Also, I just couldn't bring myself to play after this one boy exploded.

Little Jimmy wanted to try this totally sweet game that his big brother played. Unfortunately, he logged onto the Ville at precisely the exact moment that I went on a 700 kill streak. Poor Jimmy; his brain wasn't yet capable of comprehending the intense leetage that he witnessed on the screen....so it detonated. And the conflagration took the computer with it.

As fate would have it, their PC was located in the basement and right next to their gas line. The shrapnel from the computer was accelerated to such a speed as to pierce the gas pipe, and....

That was how Edison Township blew up.

I cried for several days after learning about the incident. Since then, I've sworn off DoD.

So I play TS.

And now that's boring too. I need my HL2 fix

Edit--Giz, after staring at your sig for thirty minutes with my head bent to the right, I have come to the conclusion that I really need you to explain to me the sig-nificance of that picture.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn now my neck hurts.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: