FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who actually likes dod_switch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mostly Harmless :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Who actually likes dod_switch? Reply with quote

In my opinion it's the worst map in the game because it usually devolves into a stalemate with one team holding four of the flags, camping and spam nading the archway. Occassionally momentum will change and the other team will hold the four flags, then they'll do the same thing. I have rarely ever seen any team win that map...in fact I can count on one hand the amount of times I've witnessed any team win on switch...3, that's it.

Does anyone like that map? If so, why?
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who actually likes dod_switch? Reply with quote

Mostly Harmless wrote:
In my opinion it's the worst map in the game because it usually devolves into a stalemate with one team holding four of the flags, camping and spam nading the archway. Occassionally momentum will change and the other team will hold the four flags, then they'll do the same thing. I have rarely ever seen any team win that map...in fact I can count on one hand the amount of times I've witnessed any team win on switch...3, that's it.

Does anyone like that map? If so, why?

I love the map. Although I probably think and say more curse words out loud on that map than any. Yeah, its tough to move up and get back behind the enemies lines. When you do though, its pure bliss. One person getting behind by luck and chance can change the momentum of the game. Numerous times I've gotten behind the line in a huge stalemate, taken out all their snipers and mg's and moved up and won. I can't count the number of times I've gotten the last flag to win on my fingers, but I could on my toes and fingers.

Yes, it gets frustrating, but its the difficulty of winning it that makes it more enjoyable when you do. My strategy is to nade across the archway with a well placed nade, then sprinting across and hoping. I wish more people did this, usually its just one more or two more than I.

Ten Yard wrote below me wrote:
dod_switch - Where spam 'nading is a quality tactic!

That is becaue the majority of people will camp on the hill or right by the archway. If more people tried rushing towards the back of the church from the opposite side there would be a lot more action in the middle.

Last edited by Shovel me Silly on Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dod_switch - Where spam 'nading is a quality tactic!

I'm usually prompted to leave when Switch wins the mapvote, but I have spent a fair amount of time playing it. Fights never seem to take place in the middle, it's always that on the downhill, narrow slope where nades blow the crap out of everyone over and over again. I still don't hate it as much as Caen.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 Switch, but it's because I love DoD so much I love almost every map. To be honest, I haven't ever played a map that's really pissed me off, after I learned the details of it -- except Zalec. And, it just pisses me off... I haven't played it enough to its tricks yet.

The best strategy for Allies in Zalec is to stay in spawn and hope Axis get so bored someone forces a map vote or something.</off_topic_rant>

<switch_musings>I think Switch can be alot of fun. Sure, it's a stalemate and nades become a big factor, but I'm w/ nogod on the fun of being lucky enough/persistant enough/(dare I say)skilled enough to single-handedly change the tide with a good run behind enemy lines. I also love that first huge rush to the middle at the start--it's best when everyone is connected and it's just 12 or so people per side fighting for essential control of the middle. Nothing is better than sprinting back there, killing the Axis, grabbing the MG-42 that one of them is always carrying, and making the whole rest of the Axis regret that I got it! </switch_musings>

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont play DOD due to BF DC and BFV. The graphics and physic are 100% better.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
I <3 Switch, but it's because I love DoD so much I love almost every map. To be honest, I haven't ever played a map that's really pissed me off, after I learned the details of it -- except Zalec. And, it just pisses me off... I haven't played it enough to its tricks yet.

The best strategy for Allies in Zalec is to stay in spawn and hope Axis get so bored someone forces a map vote or something.</off_topic_rant>

Zalec can be fun but only after you pass the first flag point is capped. That first objective is stupid, and makes for a big stalemate with axis snipers all over the place

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mostly Harmless :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes Switch so frustrating is that it has two bottleneck's from the central plaza into each team's 'area'. With Zalec (which is a map I love cos it isn't in constant rotation and therefor is not played out) as an Allie you at least have multiple options at your disposal to tackle all the objectives. With Switch it's just run through the bottleneck and pray that the mg or sniper's are bad shots...or you could just play like the rest of your team and camp the arch as a sniper or mg.
More often than not I simply leave a server when Switch or Charlie wins the mapvote...they're the worst maps in the game IMO.
[HALO]cpt._Keyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKon wrote:
what...what....why bother posting???? omg people need to be slapped.....anyhoo i love switch...i dont know...but i love stalemate maps....makes for a challenege....as long as we arent getting mowed down out of spawn i love a good hard stalemate
Ten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]cpt._Keyes wrote:
DaKon wrote:
what...what....why bother posting???? omg people need to be slapped

My 2 second theory is that DaKon read on the Ville's front page (where the newest threads are in the upper left) it says "Who actually likes dod...". Dude responded "I don't, it sux0rs".
Osama Bin Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch rules!!!! It's the perfect team movement map, you cannot do it all by yourself, you have to actually work as an entire team to beat it, that's why you dont see many people beating it, i think i'm gonna go play some switch now
fixthegarand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that map is hilarious. if you want a good score pick allied rifleman, chuck a cooked nade down the ramp, wait about 2 minutes and do it again. so terrible. i almost always leave when it comes up.
Ten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixthegarand wrote:
that map is hilarious. if you want a good score pick allied rifleman, chuck a cooked nade down the ramp, wait about 2 minutes and do it again. so terrible. i almost always leave when it comes up.

That's basically the extent of my plans too. I'll run through a hail of MG fire just to lob a couple grenades down that ramp to rack in some cheap killz. I made 8 kills with two nades a few months ago.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:
fixthegarand wrote:

That's basically the extent of my plans too. I'll run through a hail of MG fire just to lob a couple grenades down that ramp to rack in some cheap killz. I made 8 kills with two nades a few months ago

I hate when good people like you don't try and move up until you know its clear. Yeah getting 4 kills on the hill is great, but those people just sit there anyway and you could easily shoot them in the back if you get into the house behind them. If you are on the side of the church, its really easy to bounce a grenade off the wall and have it land where they all camp on the other side. You won't have to run into mg fire to get your nade off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: rambo rush
OpTlk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<rant>
wow, its pretty pathetic when this map is on for a whopping 4 mins and everyone is already whining...until a vote is put up between Donner and Flash! omfg, so the map presents a challenge, aren't you SICK OF PLAYING THE SAME DAMN MAPS ALL THE TIME!! I mean come on, Flash is a sniper and mg campfest and Donner is alright, but it was just played 2 maps ago! its sad to say, but I left a TV server to go play elsewhere.
bleh
<rant over>

on topic: It can be a fun map if you have a team willing to take some chances. Im not gonna lie and say the nade rolling down the slopes doesnt get old, but you dont have t run up the middle..there are other ways...and like EvilGenius said, one guy can change the momentum just by getting behind the lines.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: