FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why Epicenter is My Fav Map!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epicenter, an often-overlooked map, which many newbies will take a gander at and say, "it's crap." This is most likely because of two reasons:
A. The layout is fairly complex ( but its omegariffic!! )
B. You don't get personal points for capping.

It's because of these two reasons why Epicenter is my favorite map. Whereas you'll have a few peeps bitch and moan that they don't get any points for making a cap, I believe this is the way every map should be. It promotes team play and strategy, which is what TEAM Fortress Classic is all about. Seriously who gives two shakes of a chipmunk's ass over what your personal score is. When a game of epicenter ends and I have only one or two kills, I personally couldn't care less what other people think of my skills since my team and I both know that because of our teamwork, I was able to cap the flag so many damn times.

As for the layout being someone complex, I won't lie; this isn't a simple, direct-path 2fort type map. There are many routes to the Cap Point and several others to good snipering holes, and SG spots. You will have to run through the map a few times just to get the hang of it since it really isn't all that linear. I think this is a turn off for people who are just expecting some quick and easy capping. But I love the complexity of this map; it lends itself to some great conc-jumping, great snipering, and some great SG positioning. Also, as I have hinted at previously, TEAMWORK IS A MUST!! Epicenter is not a well/2fort type map where you have several people just rushing for the flag every man for himself, with no organization at all. If you use this plan of attack, the only thing you'll accomplish is looking like a bunch of prancing fairies running around and trying to find their assholes!! Trust me, this does not look good to the other team!

Now, i really do not care what you guys think about it, but this is my favourite map, and i reackon we should have it on more Ville servers!!

I think 4 is the only Ville server that has this map, and that is one of the main reasons why TV4 is my favourite server.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my language on this post.

-Omega SiN
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 20 minutes to write that....geez

-Omega SiN
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you totally Omega. I have had my best team playing experiences on Epicenter. I mean, I can play a whole game, and just chill defending my teams cap point. As a sniper, I think it is vital to hep out the poor engys with anti-rocket packs, and upgrades when they need em.

Also, I totally agree with you on the complexity and teamwork element of capping. You need to have a coordinated effort to clear the small cap area, and make sure it is safe to cap. I have played many-a-game with Bada where the whole game is spent clearing and capping over and over. Great fun, I say.

And the sniping is AWESOME! I love sniping on Epicenter once you get the layout and you can scope out the good spots.

All in all, maybe my second fave map behind avanti. (although a close third is Osaka, if only it lasted more than one round...)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only second?!?!

Well, I've always wanted to know what other peoples' favourite maps are and why, and i guess this post is the perfect oportunity to ask that.

-Omega SiN
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby practice my right to bring this back to the top.

-Omega SiN
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avanti-I dunno, I got hooked on avanti by the wonderful Avantiville and Orbital Frame. It was the map I learned to snipe on, and gosh darnit, I love it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Avanti also. It is my favorite.
Epicenter is a up in the top 5 for me. It is my 3rd choice.

My "map of the week" right now is shortbus and tayconc. Both offer fun and challenge.
ShortBus for it's non stop hilarity and tayconc for its challenge and brutaly hard jumps. Well at least for me.

Acropolis 2 is my 2nd favorite. I just love that map.

If you have to apologise for you language, why don't you just change it instead?
Just reread and edit in new fancier words. "

Shootakill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishburgers is the best. That and short bus. I tried osaka by myself(lan game) and found out ive never played it. Maybe i should start using casbahs real name. I think i called it osaka a few times

PondScum007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words: 2 FORT

haha actually i get quite sick of that, but its a classic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acropolis2 would have to be my fave. It takes a team to conquer that map! Much like Avanti. There aren't a whole lot of places to hide in Acropolis2 either. At least not from me. It's wide open fraggin! The way I like it!

The most fun map, of course is shortbus! I have never had so much fun dying!

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite map is probably Warpath. It's a great map when there are two pretty evenly matched teams. The balance of power is so fragile on CP3. One spy, medic or a scout can go on a spree and cap 3, 4 and 5 in one solo run, while his team pounds on the other team's offense.
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd have to say Avanit, or as i like to call it, "Capture Whybkuul's tower"... anyone who's played it against me knows what i mean.. i always rush for the tower on offence and taunt people to come get me. Most of the time i make an ass out of myself bc someone gets me within like 30 seconds

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, I've always wanted to know what other peoples' favourite maps are and why, and i guess this post is the perfect oportunity to ask that.

Rock2!!!!! I love that map! I wish it was in TV4's rotation.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I tried to get you the other day, but damn if i wasn't a scout... It made it fun, until another player came JUST when I changed to HWguy to get you. Ah well...

Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that my fav map is avanti, though if I'm ever in the mood for getting about -25/67 for my score then shortbus2 rules!!! Warpath is pretty good too. I do like epicenter alright (as long as it's not Neo). But Omega, if you didn't get points for capping the flag on all the maps, then people like Chen Kenichi would never get their 96/30 scores on avanti! One thing though....I personally can not STAND 2fort. That has to be my least favorite map.

[ This Message was edited by: Violent Pacifist on 2002-01-31 17:26 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: