FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Class Restriction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see both sides of this. But I also see no harm in having 1 of our 4 DoD servers with some limits. Choices are good.

Ok guys..

Before DoD was brought to the ville EVERY TFC server here from Avantiville to the current tv6 had class limits. We always used them for the same reasons..

We didnt want a ton of hwguys or snipers on a team.. so we had a 2 limit on those classes and a 2-3 limit on engineers. The Ville has always had limits up until DoD. Could you imagine if it didnt?

So when I sat back and thought about putting limits on tv4.. the first thing I thought of was TFC. Then I checked serverspy for steam only public servers that rank higher than ours there was only 1 with no limits. Then I went on to ASE and been checking the very popular servers the last couple days and the same.. most have limits on mg's and snipers. So I thought why not try. Most servers use the same limits I put on tv4 also.

Now.. since most popular servers do have class limits.. I see where Blue is coming from. Maybe we draw players that don't like limits. I will be watching player connections, rank, and feedback very closely. The last thing we want is a drop in popularity. I'll make sure that doesn't happen.

Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Vomish wrote:
I couldnt diagree with you more Ten Yard. What you call camping, I call a startegy. Just because a person likes to snipe or spray your carcass with MG-42 bullets doesn't mean that they are scum of the Earth. If they are camping then let them. Its their choice. As for the class restrictions on TV4 I also dislike that. The fact is that all Ville servers are famous and fun, like Blue said, because they don't restrict players from choosing their favorite weapons, be it a Springfield or a 30-cal. Telling people that there can't be more than 3 Mgs on a map is like telling someone in Gran Turismo that only 2 Toyota Supras can enter a race. Its absurd. LET PEOPEL PLAY WITH THEIR WEAPON OF CHOICE. If you find yourself on a ville sever that has 10 Allied snipers and 10 Allied Mgs vs. 10 Axis snipers and 10 Axis Mgs then simply leave or go spec. This case is higly unlikely since 20 palyers are most likely bound to select different classes based on personal preferences. Until such a situation occurs, just respect other peoples choices and gameplay. I admit that I sometimes find myself irritated when being killed by the same MG in the same spot 4 times in a row. But the fact is, the Allmighty Lord hath granted me reason to find a way to whack the silly camper with my spade on the consecutive try.

So the ville servers are more fun because they don't have limits? I have to disagree. Cause and effect. You're saying that if 6 people on axis want to be mg42's, then let them. The axis will then most likely win, and I'm sure that they're all having good fun, but what about the allies? I had left the game I described in my previous post when the entire allied team was complaining about how many mg's there were. They weren't complaining about snipers, team stacking, uneven teams, how allies weapons suck, or anything else. Only about the mg42's. So theville servers are better because 10 people can have fun while the other 10 want to cry in frustration?

You used your example of Gran Turismo. Now I'll use a real life example that I'm going through right now. The drama club at my school is nearing completion of their UIL One-act play--a competitive performance kind of thing if any of you don't know what that is. Throughout the putting together of this play, we were only allowed to spend a certain amount of money, only allowed to have so many props, and even those props were under restrictions. Why? So that schools with less money could actually have a chance in the competition. One school even managed to win while performing Hamlet using trashbags as costumes You can tell the judges to be unbiased and to pick the school that had the best actors/performance altogether, but can you honestly say that you wouldn't be a little swayed by a delightful performance that had a lot of color and fantastic props and costumes? It's human nature to pick something that they enjoy more.

BTW, I have played in a game that involved at leat 7 snipers on each team, with only about 4 people total playing a class that wasn't sniper or mg.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Mr.Vomish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you find such a game frustrating, I find it amusing and fun. Why? Because I enjoy a challenge and I know where to find the camping MG. And as for your hypothesis, I think its wrong. Just because a team has 6 or 7 MGs doesn't mean that they will win the map. Are they more likely to win? Maybe so. But if all persosn camp (wheteher sniping or MGing) then I don't see how they can cap the 5 or 6 flags in a map.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only relating what I see and feel. You may enjoy that type of game, but so far I've yet to see someone else who does as well. I played TFC for several years on the ville servers -- which all had restrictions for the "cheaper" classes, as silver said -- so maybe I'm just used to having such a system in place. But I do believe that having restrictions on at least the mg42's will make the game more enjoyable for more people than not having the restrictions on. As Pat said, it's like playing a whole new game.

Also, the people playing the more mobile classes, or are ramboing mg's, will probably cap the flags. It's then extremely difficult to get past all those mg's to cap it again. Even if th axis don't cap the map, they can still win by simply having one more flag than you do.

Maybe I'm naive, but I can't ever seem to get close enough to an mg to knife them. They always seem to have enough mg's to cover every single entrance/pathway to their base... ?

Violent Pacifist wrote:
The axis will then most likely win

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
OpTlk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all personal opinion and how we each enjoy the same game, but I for one second everything VP said!!

also, i'll say it again...TRY PLAYING AS RANDOM!! that way you can play as your favorite class when it comes up and learn a new class when it doesnt.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vomish, I give you a D- on that first post. #Fade in

I'm not calling people who don't play like me the scum of the Earth, I just think that hogging an immobile class, sitting around and waiting for kills to come into your territory as a poor way to play the game. But I've seen you snipe Vomish, and you're mostly an offensive sniper. You'll move. And for the MG, watch Ambush BVA play for a bit, he does it right. But some people just hardly understand how to play the game because they're always prone.
Mr.Vomish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Yard wrote:
Vomish, I give you a D- on that first post. #Fade in

I'm not calling people who don't play like me the scum of the Earth, I just think that hogging an immobile class, sitting around and waiting for kills to come into your territory as a poor way to play the game. But I've seen you snipe Vomish, and you're mostly an offensive sniper. You'll move. And for the MG, watch Ambush BVA play for a bit, he does it right. But some people just hardly understand how to play the game because they're always prone.

Im sorry Ten Yard for being a prick. Will you forgive me? I love you and want you to father my children...........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWAHAHA, a little Polish Canadian mutt? We'll name him <TVB-t>

I'll be playing on TV IV tonight to hear some "MEMEME I wanna by MG!" and to enjoy some quality gamage. I'll impregnate you with a shovel across the mouf then.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I played on both I and IV tonight, and found them both very active. (It's good to be back).

But, as far as relating to class restrictions, I have to say I had more fun on IV, apart from when Zalec came up. I also noticed Flash was voted as map of choice frequenlty, and wonder if this has anything to do w/ the no-Brit restrictions, allowing as many people as desired it to go Marksman. (However I don't remember there being more than 4~5 Marksmen on at once, which is rather low). (Remember, the other Brit guns aren't the greatest).

Anyways, both servers seemed quite lively, and I personally enjoyed playing more with the restrictions than without.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Dekar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
(However I don't remember there being more than 4~5 Marksmen on at once, which is rather low). (Remember, the other Brit guns aren't the greatest).

What are you talking about EG, the Sten owns!!!
Hate that stupid slow Bren though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MSE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys decided to adopt restrictions. Unfortunately, people get too obsessed over their k/d ratio and will tend to camp if they can and seldom seek to gain ground for fear of dying. Allowing unlimited sniper and mg just enables them to do it more. Especially on linear maps like kalt/flash, which seem to get alot of play, it can lead to very boring games. Hope you keep the restrictions.
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
Hey guys. I played on both I and IV tonight, and found them both very active. (It's good to be back).

But, as far as relating to class restrictions, I have to say I had more fun on IV, apart from when Zalec came up. I also noticed Flash was voted as map of choice frequenlty, and wonder if this has anything to do w/ the no-Brit restrictions, allowing as many people as desired it to go Marksman. (However I don't remember there being more than 4~5 Marksmen on at once, which is rather low). (Remember, the other Brit guns aren't the greatest).

Anyways, both servers seemed quite lively, and I personally enjoyed playing more with the restrictions than without.

Just so everyone knows,

I also put limits on the British.

3 snipers
3 mg's

I wasnt going to limit the Brits but Flash gets played often. If the server is full that is 6 out of 13 players with sniper rifle or mg's.. That leaves 7 players to use the other 2 guns and thats not bad at all in my opinion. We will try this too. I also edited my above post.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never see the mapvote on tv4 anymore. Any idea why?
pat sajak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: map vote Reply with quote

i never used to have the map vote show up for me either on tv4, and anytime it did show up i would be in the process of whipping out my blade to stab someone so i would vote for the first map, which sadly always seemed to be flash or charlie.
OpTlk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting little observation...its 9pm PST and TV1 only has 17 players(5 of which are bots according to the serrver page) and TV 4 is full.

:edit: the bots must've been a test, they gone now...make that 17 a 12.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: