FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where'd you get your name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Where'd you get your name? Reply with quote

I looked back three or so pages and didn't find a huge thread asking the same question. So...

Where'd you get your name and what does it mean?

Ten Yard Stare : | - confuses some people: some think I'm retarded and don't know the proper term and some think it's genius.

It's a name I gave to myself as a noob because I couldn't hit anything unless they were up close, like ten yards or so. It's a derivative of the "thousand yard stare" that soldiers acquire after being in the **** too long (see also: Full Metal Jacket). Ten Yard Stare was a self-inflcted cheapshot at my noobness and lack of skill and it just stuck ever since. I'd rather have a weird name that confuses people than a very common name.
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine as well answer this even though im sure all of u guys already know how i got my name

my first name Darude was from my favorite musician but i got tired of that name and became Speaker for the Dead which i got from the Ender's Game series

the reason i picked Speaker was because ender was used so commonly and i didnt just want to be another face in the crowd.

as for my first name that goes all the way back to battlenet for diablo(first one not 2) my originial name was diablos_knight after knight was already taken. that name lasted until i started to play sc when i joined my first clan the great Angel Knights( my name when then shorten to {ak}dknight) and after a few years i stopped telling ppl what the d stood for and so ppl just coming up wit random names for me (dark knight death knight...etc)

then i just had a bunch of meaniless names until i stuck wit darude for about a yr then speaker

the reason behind speaker is because i LOVE Orson Scott Cards books sooooooo much that i had no choice

well u asked for the reason and i gave u the reason and the history so do with this information what u will...wait i think a spot in ns is open l8ter all

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you can tell where my name came from. was just a big halo fan and kinda kept it. I used to be quick_strike back in the day on dod. i still use that name for other games such as bf1942 and nascar. my halo online name is [DOD]Garand kinda figured that master chief wouldnt be very original for halo...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what Speaker? If you died I would totally steal your name. One of the best names out there IMO.

LOL @ [DOD] Garand. Brilliant...
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grown up loving airplanes (military) and their capabilities, the name just flowed from that.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my name's Steve and I can't just use that, so Stevo it is. Polar Bear just came out of nowhere.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr.Vomish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Vomish was the best grammar school teacher ever. He taught Social Studies and thus introduced me to WW2. ANyways the name has been used since like 2000 and I dont plan on changing it anytime soon.
Go Mr. Vomish!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine from my car...vtec
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael = The Angel of Death

I use Jibrael on Gunbound, which is the arabic anme for the Angel Gabriel.
And Now, just a bit of lore to help you on your way:

The Lord commanded that Michael, Gabriel and Israfel (Three of the four Archangels in Islam) journey to earth and return with seven handfuls of dirt with which God planned to create Adam. The earth, however refused to give up it's treasure, moaning that mankind should not be created because they would only turn against God and bring only sadness. As the three angels returned empty handed, the Lord chose a fourth, Azrael (the fourth Archangel).

Far more determined, he wrenched from the earth the dirt and brought it before the heavenly throne. As a reward, God made Azrael the angel responsible for separating the human soul from the body at the moment of death. He also keeps track of the dying by scribbling ceaselessly into a mighty book. He writes into the book the births of the living and just as often erases other names__those who have died.

Azrael does not know when each person is to die. He learns it when a leaf, bearing the name of the soon-to-be-deceased, falls off one of the branches of the incomparable tree below the throne of God. Azrael reads the name and knows that he is to separate the soul forty days later. Some mortals resist departing the world, so he entices them with an apple plucked from the tree of life holding it under their nose.
Shovel me Silly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first used n0g0d on Westwood chat for Red Alert back in 1998 I think. I don't know where it comes from, I just thought it would be an intimidating name to look at. I used to kick some arse and take some names in Red Alert too.

!CCC! (Cool clucks clan) came from one of my friends when they were trying to think of a clan name. (obviously it is a rip off of the KKK, but we are not racist).

Shovel me Silly, which is what i use to play DOD just came from my love of the spade. I did use Spade your pets for awhile, which comes from Bob Barker and the price is right.

I also used Torquemada who was the grand inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vTEC wrote:

what he said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mulder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-files
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulder wrote:
X-files

the truth is out there...or here cause you just said it...or something.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{db}Blown65 wrote:
vTEC wrote:

what he said.

You mean a blown 65 Mustang, not a vtec, right?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodlore creature.... as I'm myself a creature of the woods (fishing, hiking, etc), I thought the name appropriate. Fragging you using that nick since 1996

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: