FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BF1942 Tweak(XP Refresh Bug)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: BF1942 Tweak(XP Refresh Bug) Reply with quote

Hey guys, for those of you BF1942 fans that are still here I stumbled across an awesome site that ultimately changed the way BF1942 played on my machine, it lagged in games with 20 or more players forcing me too use the lowest settings. As you know, servers that host huge maps with 10 or less players is boring, real boring!

After following these steps I am now able to play in games with 40 or more players at 1024x768x32 with medium settings as smooth as can be.

1)

Before we make any changes to the system make sure you've backed up any data which you cannot afford to lose if anything goes wrong. Next, make a System Restore point, because that is the quickest and easiest way to restore your system if anything goes wrong. Finally, make a backup of the system Registry by doing the following:

A. Click the Start button, select Run, type "Regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.

B. Highlight "My Computer" at the top, and from the File menu select Export.

C. Select All in the "Export Range" area at the bottom, choose a suitable empty directory, name the file something like Registry_Backup, and click Save.

If anything goes wrong with the registry, double click on this Registry_Backup.reg file and upload the old registry over your existing one. If that doesn't work, then you can go back to your last System Restore point.

2)

Lets start by making sure that your OS is up to par by following This guide go and get the the Cacheman(it's free) and don't worry about the rest since they are mostly shareware that will expire.

Finish following this guide after completed you are ready to address the bug below.

3)

Download this file RefreshForce

4)

then you'll need to perform the first tweak under the Advanced Tweaking section below otherwise BF1942 won't start up at all.

A)

Aside from the in-game settings, you can adjust some additional "hidden" settings and resolve a problem or two through the configuration (.con) files for BF1942. These are all located in various folders, typically under the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings directory. You can edit these .con files with Wordpad (recommended) or Notepad. Before you change any file, back it up first – that is, copy it and rename it e.g. Video default.Real_con. That way if anything goes wrong, you won't lose the original settings and I won't get angry emails.

I cover the settings you can change below, but if a setting can be changed using the in-game menus, I recommend you do it there instead of in the .con files, and I won't cover such settings in this section (See In-Game settings for more details). Also, as a general rule, don't change any of the files in the \Default\ folders, as these hold the game's default settings.

Videodefault.con

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

This is an important setting. By default it is set to 0, however if you have a refresh rate fix installed in WinXP/Win2K (so your refresh rate can exceed 60Hz – which I recommend), then BF1942 will not start up unless you change this setting to 1. I recommend you change it to 1 in any case, as it will improve performance and ease eye strain by utilizing the monitor's maximum refresh rate at your chosen resolution.

B)

renderer.useTrilinearFiltering 0

If you're having graphics problems, try inserting this line into the con file to disable trilinear filtering (and use bilinear filtering). When set to 0, bilinear is used. If absent or set to 1, trilinear is used (which is the default). Disabling trilinear can help Radeon users (and some older GeForce card users) in gaining extra performance with no noticeable graphics quality loss.

Again here are the links to the complete guides

WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous Introduction

Battlefield 1942 Tweak Guide

RefreshForce

Enjoy yourself in big BF1942 Games
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: