FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Design Competition

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Design Competition Reply with quote

Alright guys I'll admit it, my l33t paint skillz are not doing the trick anymore. I need an image for a site that I have just created, and I am way too inexperienced to do what I want to do.

So I decided to have a little competition. I know there are lots of people here at TheVille with experience in Graphic Design, and I figured somebody could come up with a cool looking logo for me.

I basically want a chrome 3d image of an Orienteering control (click here for sample images). The person who submits the best image will recieve an item of their choice from TheVille Store as a late Christmas present from me.

If you want more specific information on what I had envisioned send me a PM.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna save the PM and bump this, and ask... what exactly is it again?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically just a 3d image of a chrome Orienteering control. You can see pictures of a real Orienteering control here (<-clicky) to base your image on. I was hoping it could be aligned like the one in the photo "Obag8", but maybe with the front corner facing a little bit more forward. Kind of "in-your-face" if you know what I mean. There should be no colors, just two different levels of silver to differentiate between the white and orange areas of the real control.

Other than that, it can be pretty simple. Just a nice simple chrome version of the real thing. Oh, and don't put any of the strings, logos, or number tags in the image. Just the actual blank bag.

I don't know too much about 3d design, but I was hoping this could be a fairly simple project. And I'll be sending the winner an item of their choice from TheVille store just to make it interesting.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What IS an Orienteering control? It just looks like a bag with some wire and string...

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:
What IS an Orienteering control? It just looks like a bag with some wire and string...

thats what i was kinda asking....

to me its a kite with different colors right now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violent Pacifist wrote:

Yup, that about sums it up. It has a triangular base, and rises up like a triangular column. The sides are split from upper corner to the opposite lower corner with white and orange on either side of the divide.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got that from the picture. whats it do? its purpose? its what drives us you know

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok I can explain...

Orienteering is a running sport that involves navigation. It is called the Thinking Sport because it requires both mental strength as well as physical fitness. Runners must navigate a course through unfamiliar terrain using a highly detailed map made specifically for Orienteering, and a compass. On the map is drawn a course with checkpoints circled (such as a rock, cliff, or contour feature), and the runner must navigate through each one in order as fast as possible. The person to complete the course fastest wins.

Now here is where that silly little bag comes in. At each checkpoint one of those bags, or controls, is hung to let the runner now that they have reached the point. There is an electronic punch at each control that the runner must punch with an ecard that they carry on their fiinger. This keeps tracks of the runners and verifies that they have completed the course in order as well as times them.

Learning to read a map is only the beginning. It gets hard when you have to do it while running full speed through the woods trying not to hit a tree or trip on a rock. The maps are pretty detailed so you can compare it to trying to read a small print book while running through the woods. This is the challenge, but the part that is most intriguing part is the issue of mental concentration. As any athlete knows, intense physical activity such as distance running, impairs your brain's ability to process information. Many marathon runners talk about a "zone" that they go into when they run long distances. This is your brain shutting down from lack of oxygen as your muscles are taking it all to sustain themselves. In orienteering you cannot allow your brain to shut off as you must always maintain full concentration in order to navigate the course accurately enough. A mistake of less than a minute can cost you the race.

Anyway, that should give you a pretty good idea of what the control is used for. Orienteering is my passion and main sport. I am on the US Junior Team and compete in International competition, so I have had a pretty good experience with the sport so far. It is a hell of a lot of fun blasting through the woods at full speed reading a map at the same time. In fact I spend about 5-7 hours a week training, so I get to be in the woods a lot

But enough about me. What topic are we on again? Oh yeah, design. You think you guys might be able to cook something up for me?
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i did that on a field trip once
the flag/bag things looked just the same
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: