FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Glory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato wrote:
Yea I know all that but they spent four days bombarding the fort and they did little to no damage to the walls, if they had done more damage to the defenses rather than trying to kill just the troops then the 54 and others oucld have gotten through much easier.

Could have, would have, should have. Have you ever heard the saying "Hindsight is 20/20"?

Anyway, the 54th wasn't the only regiment that attacked, or the only regiment to suffer heavy losses. The 6th Connecticut, the 48th New York, the 3rd New Hampshire, the 76th Pennsylvania, and the 9th Maine all took lots of casualties and I think virtually every high ranking officer died. Brave men.

Grant WAS considered lazy by his parents, and that's why he was sent to West Point in the first place; his dad didn't think he was cut out for business. Later in his life, Grant's reputation was damaged several times because of his drinking habits and his poor appearance. So he was sometimes sloppy, but I think that could be overlooked since he WAS one of the only competent generals the Union had and won the war.
PondScum007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wasnt "yay goooo slavery!", but "yay goooo the south!"

Location: I'm From the Closest Place to Heaven on Earth...that being:-- Charles County, MD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, sorry to pull this thread out of the gutter, but I just felt like putting my 2 cents in on the subject of Civil War Generals.
I'm going to have to back up Kent here and say that Jackson was unreliable, sure he did have his "foot Cavalry" which was made famous in the Shenandoah Valley, VA but he would some times refuse to fight or march (esp on Sundays) and once during the Peninsular Campaign he slept and forced his troops to stay put and out of action while he slept. Still, he would have done much better if he not Lee was in command. Most people give Robert E Lee to much credit in the Civil War. In each of the South's victories early in the War, if you look at the big 4-year picture, you can see they were defeats. In all cases, Lee allowed the broken Union army to escape and was unable to finish them off. Later in the war he began to make strategic mistakes such as his 2 invasions of the north. His major mistake was Gettysburg, Lee should have done the action recommended by Longstreet but he did not and that brought him defeat. In this campaign, Lee also made tactical errors such as sending Stuart's cavalry on a raid, leaving in blind to the Union Army's movements.
As for Union Generals, people downgrade McClellan to much. McClellan was an excellent organizer and cared a lot for his men. This was his fault as a general, he cared to much for his men and this made him cautious, as he did not want to lose them.
Sherman was a good general, but he seemed to forget that he was fighting Americans. His actions during the war are perhaps the single greatest historical cause for the problems we have here in the states today. AKA racism, KKK, and until very recently, the relative economic backwardness of the South. (referring to the buring of Atlanta, Jackson MS etc)
Grant was not the best General ever either (generally I have a low opinion of American Generals). He was the exact opposite of McClellan and cared little for casualty reduction etc. At Cold Harbor he sent troops directly up-the-gut to entrenched Southerners and got slaughtered in the greatest casualty/time ratio of the war, I think it might be 8000 men to 1/2 hour, but I'm not sure.
Well, as I said, my 2 cents, and sorry again for dragging out an old thread.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: