FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Glory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Glory Reply with quote

We recently watched this movie in American History (yes we canucks learn about you yanks and your violent history and I must say that I enjoy America's violent history and history in general very much!). I must say that it depicts the general living conditions and battles that blacks were used in very well during the civil war. Its sad that the 54th were used as cannon fodder at Fort Sumter... What really ticks me off about that entire campaign is the fact that the Union Navy was "bombarding" the Fort for four days before Col Shaw and other leaders were breifed on the raid and taking of the fort. Except the bombardment caused little to no damage in the movie - and in real life. They then figure "send in the blacks theyll take the brunt of the fire for us".... Definatly not cool. In the movie it looked like there were more explosions in the air than on the ground. Anyways, what do you guys think of the movie? I thought it was great. The comments that came out of the Sargeant Major's mouth during training were hilarious! The irish accent makes it even better I think.

We also have to make a commenerative stamp (which I will post later) for the class so I choose Robert E. Lee. I may not support slavery but he was brilliant when it came to military tactics. Whos your favorite civil war hero?

<TVB>Potato
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, the ah, one with denzel washington right? I mean, there are probably boundless educational movies on the 54th in the Civil War...

[edit] Doh, of course it was the one with denzel, the title's name is Glory. can't believe I forgot to look there :/ [/edit]

And, uh, the 54th Mass didn't attack Fort Sumter, it was Wagner, I think.

Last edited by Kazebari on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh its ok either one. I cant remember and I cant find anything on the net... Either way its sad that the bombardment didnt do anything for their sake at all really...

<TVB>Potato
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
Bleh its ok either one. I cant remember and I cant find anything on the net... Either way its sad that the bombardment didnt do anything for their sake at all really...

<TVB>Potato

Well, it was also sad that the Union continually got their butts kicked throughout the war.

Potato wrote:
We also have to make a commenerative stamp (which I will post later) for the class so I choose Robert E. Lee. I may not support slavery but he was brilliant when it came to military tactics. Whos your favorite civil war hero?

Robert E. Lee didn't fight for the Confederacy so much for slavery but because he couldn't bear to lead an army against his home state of Virginia.

My civil war hero would have to be Sherman. Someone once told me that he fought his best battle while he was drunk O.o
Darkath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched 'Glory' in U.S. History last year, and I would have to say that US History = my favorite class. Our teacher did something interesting on the very first day of class, he gave us a mini-quiz to see how much we knew. It was a true-false quiz about general history, and the answers were all false. The point of the quiz was to show us common misconceptions about history. One of the questions was about the 54th, but I forgot what it was. We also watched The Patriot, Amistad, Gettysburg, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor and Nixon.

While learning about the good ol' US, we also did some history of England, and I'm fascinated with their history also.

http://www.britannia.com/history/h6f.html <<<--- good link for English history

^^^ Clicky
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 54th was one of the first all black regiments. When it was first formed, most of the US felt that blacks weren't to be trusted on the battlefield. A lot of them thought that once in the battle, the blacks "native instincts" would kick in, and they would all become savage barbarians. A good number of people also believed that the blacks would become traitors on the battlefield, or wouldn't fight at all.

The fort the 54th regiment was sent to fight against was already known to be nearly impregnable. The assignment was more of an act to simply get the blacks out of the way, rather than actually take the fort--they had given up hope for that quite awhile ago. However, the 54th's valiant charge against the confederates opened some peoples' eyes. Even though the blacks were still discriminated, they were no longer viewed with the thought that they could not--or would not--fight in the war. The flag carrier for the 54th regiment was even awarded a medal (I think it was the medal of honor, but I can't be sure).

And as Kazebari said, Lee only turned down the the Union army because he didn't want to fight against his own state. He never encouraged or enjoyed the idea of slavery.

My favorite Civil War hero would have to be "Stonewall" Jackson--a fearless, military genius, who happened to be a horrible teacher. He was also, unfortuneatly, shot by his own men

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Robert E. Lee had to be one of the best military leader in the war. That's not just because I'm on The Ville lol.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Monk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
I think Robert E. Lee had to be one of the best military leader in the war. That's not just because I'm on The Ville lol.

No doubt. He just happened to be on the wrong side. The South was far superior in terms of Generals, but the North was stronger in other aspects (i can't remember which, but I think troop size had something to do with it).
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk wrote:
Stevo wrote:

No doubt. He just happened to be on the wrong side. The South was far superior in terms of Generals, but the North was stronger in other aspects (i can't remember which, but I think troop size had something to do with it).

The north had more industry, roads, railroads, and troops. The south still would've won if Mcllelan had stayed as the main general. Though I don't remember all of what happened, I believe Mcllelan was dismissed after he got hold of some secret confederate plans, and decided he would tell the whole neighborhood (not literally, but he had a big mouth). A confederate spy warned Lee, and Mcllelan's army was ambushed all the same. Pres. Lincoln seemed to wise up and--after going through about 10 other generals--finally hired Grant to take Lee on. To his and everyone's surprise, Grant was an extremely good general (he was considered a failure at West Point, and all the strategies he submitted for his classes were given low grades).

I also have to take back what I said about Stonewall being my favorite civil war hero. I don't remember if Robert Rogers served in the civil war or not, but he would have to be my favorite person of the time if he did. He nearly perfected guerilla(sp?) warfare, and was a military genius when it came to ambushes. He even wrote a book (the name fails to occur to me right now) that is still taught at West Point today.

Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant did badly also because he had a really bad slacker's attitude - he never looked at his best he was always slobby.

<TVB>Potato
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
Grant did badly also because he had a really bad slacker's attitude - he never looked at his best he was always slobby.

<TVB>Potato

Ehhh?? First time I've ever heard anything of that sort. I think I remember my teacher saying Grant never considered himself good, but not a slacker and sloppy...Grant was the general that won the war for the north

Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was really slobby. Have you ever seen some of the photographs of him? Or was it Lee who was slobby? I dont think it was but it might have been lee. Either way one of them was really slobby and really didnt like wearing a uniform the proper way or anything like that such.

<TVB>Potato
[HALO]cpt._Keyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
He was really slobby. Have you ever seen some of the photographs of him? Or was it Lee who was slobby? I dont think it was but it might have been lee. Either way one of them was really slobby and really didnt like wearing a uniform the proper way or anything like that such.

<TVB>Potato

lee, slobby HA! the onyl cadet toi go through west point without a single demerit stone wall....good leader...a good morale booster....but he was very unreliable...and prone to religous rants...nothing at all like in infallible being he is made out to be in gods and generals. Lee....well....he was good...able to inspire awe in his men....battlefield leadership....well he could rally his men...but if the union didnt have crappy generals at the beginning we would have walked over him...he was not a good tactition. Grant...brilliant tactition...not all that aweinspiring to his men...not a great speech writer...he is a typical good leader...."screw the book lets get this f***ing job done" and the previous questions about the explosions in the air....that is a different kind of arty round. its an airburst...very very effective for taking out a large number of troops...explosion over their heads rains metal down on them....and you cant take cover... ground bursts spend teir enrgy kicking up dirt and have a restricted blast radius...this is why, contrary to common beleief, nuclear weapons do not hit the ground like normal missles...they are timed to explode about a half mile above the ground....nothing blocks the blast...favorite civil war general...i would have to say grant...but i cannot pick a "favorite" general...each did his own part for the war...and that is how history is....
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]cpt._Keyes wrote:
Potato-VS- wrote:

<TVB>Potato

lee, slobby HA! the onyl cadet toi go through west point without a single demerit stone wall....good leader...a good morale booster....but he was very unreliable...and prone to religous rants...nothing at all like in infallible being he is made out to be in gods and generals. Lee....well....he was good...able to inspire awe in his men....battlefield leadership....well he could rally his men...but if the union didnt have crappy generals at the beginning we would have walked over him...he was not a good tactition. Grant...brilliant tactition...not all that aweinspiring to his men...not a great speech writer...he is a typical good leader...."screw the book lets get this f***ing job done" and the previous questions about the explosions in the air....that is a different kind of arty round. its an airburst...very very effective for taking out a large number of troops...explosion over their heads rains metal down on them....and you cant take cover... ground bursts spend teir enrgy kicking up dirt and have a restricted blast radius...this is why, contrary to common beleief, nuclear weapons do not hit the ground like normal missles...they are timed to explode about a half mile above the ground....nothing blocks the blast...favorite civil war general...i would have to say grant...but i cannot pick a "favorite" general...each did his own part for the war...and that is how history is....

Err....how was stonewall unreliable?? His men were the fastest traveling infantry known. He managed to reach a specified war zone before Lee and the other generals did, as well as hold back the enemy until they came. Though he was a horrible teacher and a religious nut, he was a fearless leader that could inspire his men. His death was the beginning of the downfall of the south. Afterwards, Lee even commented saying that he was lost without his right hand man. How does that qualify as unreliable?

I don't know where you've been learning history, but Lee was one of the greatest tactitions of the civil war. His strategies were daring and sometimes seemed a little awkward, but they always seemed to come through.

Grant was undoubtedly a great leader. Despite his shortcomings at West Point, his habit of ignoring the book turned out to be a good thing. I couldn't tell you much about his abilities to rally his troops, however.

You might be thinking of Grant Potato. I know there was a general in the civil war who preferred to dress as a common soldier, rather than a general.

[edit] A little addition to what Keyes was saying about the explosions. Though guns in the civil war were a little unreliable and...bad...they still packed quite a punch. Musket balls could leave baseball sized holes wherever they hit.
There were also several types of cannon balls, shells, etc. One of them is what Keyes explained. A cannonball filled with little musket balls would be shot into the air, and later explode to form a type of mid-air grenade. Another tactic was called grapeshot. Balls of various sizes (some were musket balls, others could have about 1 1/2 inch diameters) would be loaded into cannons and shot out at people--basically a bigger form of a shotgun shot. Some other things were standard cannon balls, and balls that exploded on impact.

Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know all that but they spent four days bombarding the fort and they did little to no damage to the walls, if they had done more damage to the defenses rather than trying to kill just the troops then the 54 and others oucld have gotten through much easier.

<TVB>Potato
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: