FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Music Sources
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Music Sources Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with any of the online music sources, i.e. Real.com's Rhapsody, Apple Itunes, new Napster? I am looking into a reliable source for downloading music (not stolen music). As far as I can tell they all charge a monthly fee to download unlimited music, and a per song fee to burn songs. Most are 99 cents per song to burn, and Rhapsody is only 79 cents, so I am leaning toward Rhapsody. I am also thinking about getting an iPod which makes me wonder if I should stick to Apple's software just for better compatibility.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use itunes. It's user interface is pretty much retard proof, there's no monthly fee, songs dl in the blink of an eye, and the quality is superb. Also, I've heard that some sources limit cd burning, which itunes does not, from what I've been told.
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use winMX its a good program to find music other programs (photoshop) pictures etc...
Twisted29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Itunes...its alright.

Some nice features, like an improved ID3 tag system and easy mp3 sharing across networks. In the end, I didn't like what it did to my file structure...creating a bunch of new folders and renaming all my mp3s.

If you plan on using the Itunes media player, then I think it great. (and cheap!)
[HALO]MasterChief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vTEC wrote:
i use winMX its a good program to find music other programs (photoshop) pictures etc...

i think he wants to legally dl music vtec...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you have to pay to burn it. If you can d/l it, why not just burn it yourself. Or am I seriously missing something here.
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicoden wrote:
I don't understand why you have to pay to burn it. If you can d/l it, why not just burn it yourself. Or am I seriously missing something here.

I am not sure what they mean, but Real Networks states that you pay a monthly fee to download music, and 79 cents per song to burn them onto a CD. I think it may just be a tricky way of saying that you have to pay a monthly fee for the service, and then 79 cents for any song you want to download. But maybe they have a way of allowing you to download and only charging you to burn, but I doubt that.

Az, do you know if Itunes has any restrictions on the files? I know Sony's OpenMG software would only allow for 3 copies of a file to be "checked out" at any time. Does Itunes have any restrictions like that, or are the clips basically just your to do what ever you want with?
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Master_Chief wrote:
vTEC wrote:

i think he wants to legally dl music vtec...

That's right. We don't condone the illegal transfer of copyrighted material here.
vTEC
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol it works....besides i dont dL..dont have time to listen to music...my sisters programs
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you dl the songs, they are yours to do with as you please. I'm not really sure why, but there's even an option for sharing files, and I can't figure out what it's for.

The nifty part about it is that you can burn discs either as mp3 cds, or regular audio cds, or as data cds.

There's a couple of options as far as dling files. I thinkyou can dl in different formats, but the program gives you the option of converting to mp3 if you want. I'm not sure what format m4p is, but that's what the songs I've gotten off itunes have come as. The quality is great, and the file sizes are slightly smaller than what you'd expect for mp3.

I actually prefer buying songs fom itunes for the simple reason that you get to preview them first, and The song quality is always first rate, whereas with th p2p stuff, sometimes I had songs that got cut off at the end and stuff like that. That, and the whole legality issue really made my mind up for me...
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, itunes also has a bunch of radio stations you can listen to as well.

P.S. Did I mention 99 cents per dl, and no monthly fee?
Twisted29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Pepsi has a deal with Itunes, where they're going to give away 100million songs pretty soon (or so I've heard). So, if you drink Pepsi (not a corporate plug!) keep your eye out for that.....
Monk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing music with programs such as Kazaa is very frustrating these days since the new CDs came out. Sun Microsystems has developed a CD that scrambles its files when you try to transfer them over a file sharing network (such as Kazaa). There are easy ways to get around this, but the problem is that most idiots using the networks don't know that they are putting up scrambled files. This means that out of 100 copies of a song you want, only 1 or two will be any good. The scrambled versions play for about 10 seconds and then switch over to static. Basically you have to try downloading lots of versions of the same song before you can find a good one. This takes way too much time and effort and has stopped many people from even bothering anymore. More and more people are resorting to simple pay per song programs such as Real Network's Rhapsody and Apple's Itunes.
FragFailure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy used if I can find it. I wait a good three to four months after the cd is released.

I still think that the rates for a bad to average mp3 (Napster II, I Tunes, E Music or Rhapsody) are much too high per song. I'm not interested. MP3's should cost anywhere from .30 to .50 per song, not the .79 - .99 range currently listed. You're getting 1/12th of cd quality at 128 CBR. The it's worth 1/12th of the cd's song imo.

The RIAA is a ripoff.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gamepro65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY SHIZ MONK U SERIOUS?!?! nowonder when i try to dl songs they do that, ive downloaded many and i was like wtf ^^ mate whats goin on lol it makes sence now i guess ill stick to getting the cd for real quality

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: