FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Newbie question from grizzled old timer...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Newbie question from grizzled old timer... Reply with quote

Sorry for the ... shall we call it naivete? But, I haven't messed with Steam at all. Does this mean I can't join any Ville servers until I install it? I know I can join some other servers, but lately I have had trouble connecting to Ville servers. But it could just be something else causing it, I just wanted to know if Steam was an all or nothing thing. Also, if I did install Steam, does that mean I can't connect to servers not running it?

Help a brother out and post me a clue, willya?

Many thanks,

FingerDemon
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have to get steam to be able to play on the 'Ville servers. Get it here <-- clicky

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steam = all or nothing.

Don't worry, I've seen worse questions!
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heeeeey FD!

Steam is a separate program that will run the games you download via Steam. You MUST have Steam to play on a steamified server, but since it is independant from the regular game, you can continue to play on regular servers.

Steam is a hassel to set up and royally sucks, but Valve is slowing converting everyone over.

[edit] Wow quick replies [/edit]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab the TFC installer if thats the only hl mod you play.You will still be able to play normal TFC but after installing it on a 2nd PC I noticed it will mess with your TFC icon path if you don't make it read only when you install STeam.

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too scared with all the bad hype. Steam has been nothing less than awesome for me. It is a huge improvement if you can get it to work.
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was checking this thread thinking I would probably be the first person to even read it... pathetically pining for a reply....hehe Thanks for all the super fast replies.

Ok, now I know I need to get Steam. I will have to give Steam a whirl while the wife's on business travel, so she won't hear the cursing. And thanks for the tip on the icon Bada. Nobody better be messin with my icons.

Hope to catch you all in game sometime. Hopefully from behind... with a shovel, or that cool gun-butt head-whack dealio.

<TVB>FingerDemon
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Np Try www.steampowered.com Get Steam Now and go to the fileplanet links they have short wait times for Steam stuff.

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: