FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Canadian Champions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Canadian Champions Reply with quote

If it's not the beautiful landscapes, Hockey, now canada is holding the title as being the world champs in Rock, Paper, Scissors

Canadian Beats World at Rock, Paper, Scissors
Sun Oct 26, 6:45 PM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - The competitors, in glitzy, off-the-wall costumes, call themselves professional athletes. Some even bring along team doctors to supervise their nutrition and take them through intense warmups.

Related Links
• 2003 RPS Championships
• World RPS Society

This, it seems, is serious stuff to the 320 competitors who shook their fists early into Sunday morning at the World Rock, Paper, Scissors Championships at a nightclub in downtown Toronto.

The man who did win -- and netted himself a purse of C$5,000 ($3,825) -- was Toronto's Rob Krueger, a member of the team "Legion of the Red Fist."

To achieve the lofty title of World RPS Champion, he threw a combination of rock-paper-paper, defeating his opponent's offering of three rocks.

Treading a thin line between silly spectacle and serious sport, the event drew a crowd of about 900, including many bemused spectators who wandered, with drinks in hand, among a slew of local and international media.

Andy Cumming, 28, flew to Canada from London with five other members of the United Kingdom team, as well as their team doctor who counsels them on warmups, diet and practice.

"It's an internationally played game, you know," he said, wearing a pair of worker's coveralls with the red, white and blue of the Union Jack patterned on it.

"It's a complete travesty that not many people take it seriously."

To the uninitiated, taking the playground game seriously is something of a tall order. Many competitors wore crude, homemade costumes, and played with a can of beer in their non-throwing hand.

Douglas Walker, managing director of the Toronto-based, 700-member World RPS Society, is a little more realistic about the so-called sport he promotes.

"We take rock, paper, scissors about as seriously as you take something like rock, paper, scissors. We have a lot of fun with the concept."
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Rofl Team doctors for rock paper scissors?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough sport especially when you get smashed by a rock, slashed with scissors, catch a paper cut. America has some of the craziest events also, take those fools who sit in a ring at the rodeo playing poker as a bull is set free, the last one to stand wins. Give me PRS any day

Stevo wrote:
#Rofl Team doctors for rock paper scissors?

Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i heard this on howard stern as we rode to school this morning....

he "avalanched" LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like WMMR 93.3 or WYSP 94.1 up there in philly ? I remember when HS was a newb

Gizanked wrote:

he "avalanched" LOL

Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeCies wrote:
Do you like WMMR 93.3 or WYSP 94.1 up there in philly ? I remember when HS was a newb

Gizanked wrote:

he "avalanched" LOL

i'm not the driver so the radio goes where ever he wants.. more oftent hasn not a CD but i may ahve to check it out sometime
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: