FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister
My pc is sick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

Joined: 28 Aug 2001
Location: Abbotsford,BC,Canada Guild: US-V & Ville $upporter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: My pc is sick Reply with quote

My pc has been doing strange things lately. Slow loading, loading only pieces of pages etc. Now I can only start pc through safe mode.
I run and update norton every day, never open e-mails unless I know the sender or asked for info, update via windows update reguarly.
So yesterday I ran a system scan with norton and everything was clean. I did the same with www.microtrend.com, its free, and low and behold I got 4 hits. So I sent a nasthy note to symantec asking wtf I'm paying for and if they're going to reimburse me for my added costs.

worm sobig,e
worm swen.a
pe dumaru.a
pe bugbear.dam

My pc has an appointment with the local doctor tomorrow for a physical. Ask me if I'm pissed
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
SpeCies
Registered User

Joined: 05 Sep 2001
Location: North Carolina Guild: <TVB>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this utility
W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
by Symantec. It's strange that your tools did not pick it up

Reformat your drive and do a fresh install. XP will walk you right through it easy as cake

Last edited by SpeCies on Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Lil-Yugi
Registered User

Joined: 23 Jan 2002
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this website www.pcpitstop.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples
Registered User

Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Location: at work :s

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That site isn't working for me BR. It opens the page to there site but I cannot do anything there. There links aren't working or something.

Sorry to hear about the finds. That sucks. I hope you get it fixed up before to long. It is kinda longly without my buddy in game
_________________

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Back to top
Bright Red Nipples
Registered User

Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Location: at work :s

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!!! I just did a scan on my hard drive and it found 3!!!!! GG Norton #Fist
_________________

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Back to top
SpeCies
Registered User

Joined: 05 Sep 2001
Location: North Carolina Guild: <TVB>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I still am using win98se
Back to top
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

Joined: 30 Dec 2001
Location: Ceres,CA GUILD:<eVa>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try www.adaware.com this might help out gets rid of all spybots & there search and destroy it also helps with the spyware that adaware don't catch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Paddyjack
Registered User

Joined: 15 Jan 2002
Location: Québec, Canada Guild: <eVa>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had 4 occurences of worm sobig,e, which my antivirus found today. I don't kow how they came to be, but somehow I'm looking suspisciously at the new update from steam.
_________________
PJ --- ancient IDIOT with a rusty CROWBAR....
but still SWINGING!

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

Joined: 28 Aug 2001
Location: Abbotsford,BC,Canada Guild: US-V & Ville $upporter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:
I also had 4 occurences of worm sobig,e, which my antivirus found today. I don't kow how they came to be, but somehow I'm looking suspisciously at the new update from steam.

OMG wouldn't that sux big time
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
SpeCies
Registered User

Joined: 05 Sep 2001
Location: North Carolina Guild: <TVB>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, I would think that the steam forum would be massed with the same complaints.

I recant my previous gloat about Win98 cuz it's a candidate also !

Here is some info on this virus

Due to a decreased rate of submissions, and the hard coded deactivation date, Symantec Security Response has downgraded this threat to a Category 2 from a Category 4 as of September 15, 2003.

W32.Sobig.F@mm is a mass-mailing, network-aware worm that sends itself to all the email addresses it finds in the files that have the following extensions:

* .dbx
* .eml
* .hlp
* .htm
* .html
* .mht
* .wab
* .txt

The worm uses its own SMTP engine to propagate. It also attempts to create a copy of itself on accessible network shares, but fails due to bugs in the code.

Email routine details
The email message has the following characteristics:

From: Spoofed address (which means that the sender in the "From" field is most likely not the real sender). The worm may also use the address, admin@internet.com, as the sender.

NOTES:
o The spoofed addresses and the Send To addresses are both taken from the files found on the computer. Also, the worm may use the settings of the infected computer's settings to check for an SMTP server to contact.
o The choice of the internet.com domain appears to be arbitrary and does not have any connection to the actual domain or its parent company.

* Re: Details
* Re: Approved
* Re: Re: My details
* Re: Thank you!
* Re: That movie
* Re: Wicked screensaver
* Re: Your application
* Thank you!
* Your details

Body:

* See the attached file for details
* Please see the attached file for details.

* your_document.pif
* document_all.pif
* thank_you.pif
* your_details.pif
* details.pif
* document_9446.pif
* application.pif
* wicked_scr.scr
* movie0045.pif

NOTES:

* The worm de-activates on September 10, 2003. The last day on which the worm will spread is September 9, 2003.
* The aforementioned de-activation date applies only to the mass-mailing, network propagation, and email address collection routines. This means that a W32.Sobig.F@mm-infected computer will still attempt to download the updates from the respective list of master servers during the associated trigger period, even after the infection de-activation date. Previous variants of Sobig exhibited similar behavior.
* Outbound udp traffic was observed on August 22nd, coming from systems infected with both Sobig.E and Sobig.F. However, the target IP addresses were either not responding, taken offline, or contained non-executable content; that is, a link to an adult site.
* W32.Sobig.F@mm uses a technique known as "email spoofing," by which the worm randomly selects an address it finds on an infected computer. For more information on email spoofing, see the "Technical Details" section below.

Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of W32.Sobig.F@mm.

Also Known As: Sobig.F [F-Secure], W32/Sobig.f@MM [McAfee], WORM SOBIG.F [Trend], W32/Sobig-F [Sophos], Win32.Sobig.F [CA], I-Worm.Sobig.f [KAV]

Type: Worm
Infection Length: about 72,000 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP
Systems Not Affected: Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 3.x

Paddyjack wrote:
I also had 4 occurences of worm sobig,e, which my antivirus found today. I don't kow how they came to be, but somehow I'm looking suspisciously at the new update from steam.
Back to top
SpeCies
Registered User

Joined: 05 Sep 2001
Location: North Carolina Guild: <TVB>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My pc is sick Reply with quote

Just a thought Blue, this site is dead! Maybe by chance they were having problems at the time of your scan ? You have two of the best anti-virus programs around it's hard to believe that both of the two apps failed detection. Try this link it is also free

Blue Ruler wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gezz I r t stupido thats what I meant

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples
Registered User

Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Location: at work :s

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Ruler wrote:
Gezz I r t stupido thats what I meant

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

What a hoser
_________________

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Back to top
Potato-VS-
Registered User

Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like what happened to my comp after I got the RAM upgraded... Hope you can get it fixed BR! Computer troubles are so annoying.

<TVB>Potato-VS-
Back to top
SpeCies
Registered User

Joined: 05 Sep 2001
Location: North Carolina Guild: <TVB>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is o.k aixelsyD can happen after a few brews #Beer

Blue Ruler wrote:
Gezz I r t stupido thats what I meant

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:
You cannot vote in polls in this forum