FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ASVAB?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: ASVAB?! Reply with quote

Ok, I know that the ASVAB is a test for joining the army (or the navy) or atleast I think it is . As some of you may or may not know Im thinking of enlisting in the US Army/Navy and then moving on into special forces if I get in. However, I want to do my best to make it easier to get in (hence working out daily [pushups, curls, situps, running etc etc] and preparing mentally [studying history, tactics, stratagees (SP? - Im not focusing on english )) and so forth before I come to the time when I enlist (at the age of 1. So, is there any way that I can prepare for the ASVAB? Or how hard was it if you ever took it?

Thanks for any help.
<TVB>Potato-VS-
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ASVAB?! Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
(at the age of 1.

#Rofl Stupid forum!

Anyway, good luck!

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took that test. Pretty simple questions really, or they were when I took it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bah I meant 18 just so you know.

<TVB>Potato-VS-
Monk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother took it last year and had no problem scoring in the 80s. If you compare it to the SATs it is a piece of cake, however, you will need to know other kinds of stuff like mechanics, etc. depending on where you want to go in the service. To qualify for Special Forces you basically have to ace the test.

Get in contact with a recruiter right away. They know exactly how to prepare you, and they are a huge help.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem is that i did well on the asvab.. and recruiters wouldmn't stop calling me. i forget how well but it was a test i actually wanted to bomb ( no pun intended)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my school we could either take that, or sleep late and come in a few periods later after it was over with, i picked the latter :>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asvab=piece of cake i completely blew it away...i qualified for everything...and i suck at math.....though the mth is just simple math...ok for the special forces...i would recommend you get your self two handbooks... ranger handbook and the army field survival hand book, thats for the studying part, the work out and shapeing up part..uve already got on the right track...work on long endurance, stamina over a focus of speed, the speed will come with training, the stamina you need to last through training, also focus on eating right, how close till u plan to leave? eat wholesome foods, grains, protiens and more grains and protiens, then you wont be in a bad way when they starve you in ranger school:) (i would reccomend going rangers before SF get a lot of small combat training) (i had a mentor/ROTC teacher/friend nam MSG> Connor, he was 82nd Airborne to ranger to delta, he was in somolia, panama and many other things that he cant say, and i was talking to him about this before i made my desicion to go Coast Guard0 gl have fun
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not leaving for a couple of years. Ill look into the hand books - I also know a couple of people who were in the navy / army so I can talk to them. The only problems that I may have are: 1 Im canadian and 2 I can swim but I havent in like 3 years... Ill look into possibly taking a swimming refresher course. Thanks for the tips cpt - keep them comming though guys.

<TVB>Potato-VS-
[NoClan]Lunt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Special Forces - Can you steer a canoe? Can you drink beer greater than 5%? Can you shovel snow (because when it snows more than 2 inches in Toronto, they call out the national guard? And you have to be able to kill a Taliban from 3km in the wind with a sniper rifle?
Chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Focus]Lunt wrote:
Canadian Special Forces - Can you steer a canoe? Can you drink beer greater than 5%? Can you shovel snow (because when it snows more than 2 inches in Toronto, they call out the national guard? And you have to be able to kill a Taliban from 3km in the wind with a sniper rifle?

snooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Umm, I might move to canada or vegas or something. How are the moose this time of year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... Its not like we got moose hanging around in our back yards everywhere chan... Its like that in some places but not others. Its just like all of us living in igloos...

<TVB>Potato-VS-
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also aced the ASVAB. However, I don't remember much because it was like 17 years ago.

As I recall, though, it is centered more around practical than historical. You have to remember, they are testing your abilities for the armed forces. Not much need to know a lot of history.

I agree that a recruiter will probably help you get focused on the studying you need to do.

Just be aware...when you ace it (99+ Percentile), the recruiters will NOT leave you alone for at least a year.

I didn't actually go into the service because the best MOS they had, at the time, was for a nuclear engineer on a submarine. And I just couldn't see myself in a tin can for 6-9 months at a time.

Good thing, too, because the nuclear industry has gone to squat.

The only other thing I might recommend is, if you do well on the test, make sure you get into an office track.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks shark. Ive heard about the ruthless recruiters tales before... And they say spam was invented by the internet . I dont really want to go for something like a desk job... I want to do something exciting not sit around at a desk all day but I suppose that I would have to get a deskjob... I dunno Ill have to figure it out.

<TVB>Potato-VS-
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potato-VS- wrote:
Im canadian

Then why do you want to join the US army?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: