FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
US Army

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: US Army Reply with quote

Ok, I sent this PM to Az the other day - he already replied and was really helpful. I know that I cant go into the Rangers or SEALs or whatever else I want to go into (I gotta decide that) right away and I need some pre-rec stuff before I even volunteer to join up with them but I still wanted to post the same relative message and get the rest of TV.org's oppinions. I already know that I CAN join the US Army and keep my canadian citizen ship but if I do end up wanting to volunteer for Rangers or SEALs then I would (for SEALs at least) need citizenship. Below is the PM unchanged - just think that Im addressing YOU the reader individually and answer that way I supppose...

I have a question that I want to ask you and I’m assuming that your a Marine/were a marine or served in ground forces for the US Army - I hope I’m correct. I’ve almost graduated from high school - one more year after this one and then I’m out at the age of 18 - and I was wondering if I really wanted to go to University or College afterwards. I would defiantly like to but right away after high school just doesn't tickle my fancy - I don’t like school that much and Id like to get away from home (and some members of my family and "friends" who dont respect my opinion/views - ESPECIALLY ABOUT POSSIBLY JOINING THE US ARMY) and see the world first. I was considering joining the army. I run for about 4.6 kilometers per day - about 2.85 miles - and I also do 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, and 9 chin-ups. Both my grandpas and my aunt's brother were in the army and they loved it. And so, I believe that perhaps I should look into joining the army as well. Its a great experience (besides the fact of getting shot/shot at ) and you can learn so much - and you can get a good, semi free, education. However, I have a slight problem... I’m Canadian. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Canada and I think our army is great - for its size and funding - but its the fact of our army's political status, training, funding - you may not know but our SeaKing helicopters (yes we still use outdated SeaKing helicopters!) tend to crash and we tend to not see very much action unless its peacekeeping or with the rest of the UN's forces - something that I respect but dont like at the same time... Kinda wierd view. Therefore, I am exploring other possible options - like joining the US army. I don’t really know what I should do though. I know for a fact that the Canadian Army is probably out of the question for me - it doesn't suit my needs and views all that much. But I don’t know how I should go about joining the US Army.

I should note that this is also the main reason why I’m making ASF to find out more information about American Special Forces. And, in fact I’ve found out a lot about both ASF and how different weapon types (semi/auto weapons, grenades, etc) work.

I really want to join the army. And Id like to possibly try to join the marines/navy, then possibly joining/trying out for the Rangers or SEALs. Though Id probably stick with the Rangers since they seem to fit with my personality/skills more (after all 5% of the people who try out of the SEALs actually make it [or is it 5% who drop out?... I dunno.] and something like ¼ of the people who try out for Rangers drop out - or at least I read that somewhere). I don’t know what I need to make it into the army/Rangers. I know that I probably would need US citizenship and Ill gladly give over my Canadian citizen ship, move to the states, and join the army - if I can make it (which I hope I will or else I may be slightly screwed ). I’ve tried to find what I need to be a Ranger on the internet but I cant seem to find anything anywhere. I can find plenty about SEALs but not much about Rangers - and I want to explore my options here. So, if you could tell me what the minimum requirements for joining at least the US Marines then Id really be happy. If you could also tell me, if you know, what you need to be able to join the Rangers then that would help as well . Also tell me what you thought about army life, while you were in the army.

Thanks a lot for any help!
<TVB>Potato-VS-
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Potato, I am in the same position (well, except for the hoser bit ) I definitely want to go to College, but I am not ready to jump into four more years of school right away. I need to give my body a chance to settle down as I am extremely restless these days.

I have considered the military and decided that they only part of it that interests me is Special Ops. I would really love to become a trained warrior, and not just some engineer on an aircraft carrier somewhere in the pacific. I have been looking around on the internet for information about the Marines Special Ops in particular, and there doesn't seem to be much helpful info. I would love to hear what you know about the issue.

My brother joined the Air Force this year and just graduated from boot camp this weekend. However, he is looking at some support job for the next four years that would probably bore my socks off. I need action, but mostly I am interested in stealth. That is why the Marines Force Recon has attracted my attention since you don't hear much about them and basically do their own thing.

Anyway, I am graduating High School this year and everyone is expecting me to go to college. I am actually considering just disappearing for four years without telling anyone I joined the military. I could really use some time off from family and friends like you mentioned. Besides, even with huge amounts of support from my relatives I will most likely come out of college in debt and I would love to avoid that.

Anyway, send me an email if you want to talk.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Ive heard about alot of special opps - what I try to do is buy (or get some book from a local library) about missions and campaigns that they've participated - like the Somalia Mog Raid in '93 with both Rangers and Delta Force - another cool unit. I haven't found out much - mainly about the weapons that they use and such - delta get amazing weapons (top notch) compaired to others and so forth. Ill wait to see what others have to say and maybe we can talk on the side. Got msn or something?

<TVB>Potato-VS-
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in other positions in the US military I would recommend trying to become an officer. You can receive nice scholarship through a ROTC program. My sister had 3 years at Georgetown school of foreign service paid for with the training in ROTC and then 3 years minimum service aboard frigates and carriers. Then she went onto a post teaching at the French Naval Academy on the Birttany coast for 2 years. Now she is happily married in france.

So in conclusion, check out the ROTC program.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I can't tell you much since I haven't been in the army myelf and it will be a good many years before I have the option to. I know my dad loved it while he was in. He was stationed somewhere in Germany and seemed to enjoy the culture and lifestyle while he was there. His job had something to do with intelligence and a van...thats about all I know(If I told you I'd have to..."frag you") Anyway as I said he really enjoyed it and would go back if he could but unfortunatley the army dosen't let 45 year old men join that I know of and we would rather him stay situated as an electrician in a smaller town and not moving around constantly(yea me loves it here ) And keep up with the exercise it will make it much easier if you do join to already be in some sort of shape
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: