FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cost of Steam

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Cost of Steam Reply with quote

Here are the facts I have gathered about Steam and it cost

The good news....Steam is free

The Bad news.....Once HL2 comes out, you will have to pay either a fee of about $50 per mod and update you download, or $9.95 a month for the subscription.

Gabe Newell wrote:
In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.

So basically what this means, Steam is free to use, but if you want the Mods and updates you must pay a $9.95 a month ($119.35 a year) or by it like a full game ($50) an hope they never release anything else for that mod. For example, Lets use this system on the current HL. If you downloaded all the mods currently played at the ville, TFC, NS, DoD, TS pluse the cost of halflife, it would be over $250 with tax. And should the release an update, you will have to re download the game for another $50, unless you have the subsription. But the "major" benefit, you do not have to pay for steam it's self. What a great system
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you find that info?
Blown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleman wrote:
where did you find that info?

its in the planetfortress forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they think were as stupid as those that play Evercrack and are prepared to dump $10 a month to support our addiction........Ya, ok, I guess I may be but they better not mess up TFC or they wont see a cent from me.

And if HL2 doesnt have a TFC2 mod shortly after its out then they can kiss my rosy red canadian a$$.

Cheers all.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they want so much? Usually when you buy a game, the updates come with it because you can't play it without it and you pay to be able to play it always. 50 bucks per mod sucks! #Fist

If that's true, I'm not gonna get HL2. Well, I might, but I'm not gonna pay for it.... #Fade in

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe worst part is, I higly doubt the mod makers will see a penny of this money. If they pass it off as a download fee, they get around the copyrights, and do not have to pay the people how did the actuall work. This is why I hate the French, They are far more underhanded then the US is.

/edit I need to learn to proof read
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard, MODS will be free. TF2 will cost money because it won't be a MOD. Updates will also be free. You only have to pay the $10 a month if you don't want to buy the full version of HL2 and want access to all valve games.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big success behind Quake and HL was the possibility to endlessly use those games, because of nice free mods like QTF, TFC, CS, DOD.

Remove that and you crash. I play online just for fun, I will never pay a single penny for multipler FPS. I will find a game which is free, and screw the rest. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

After all, in MMORPG, you build a character, and you don't want to lose it, so you pay. In FPS... you don't build anything.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack wrote:

After all, in MMORPG, you build a character, and you don't want to lose it, so you pay. In FPS... you don't build anything.

^^^^ Good point. But they're making you pay for updates to
existing games? That is a new one to me.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make you pay for mods that come out made by valve. just like you did now. if you wanna play opposing force, blue shift, ........ you also had to pay for the game.

mods that are distrubited for free (ns, dod, .......) will still be free.

and the 10$ per month are for those who don't buy the full game in the store but download it from steam and also want acces to all upcomming mods made by valve without having to pay a peny plus.

Last edited by cobra on Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
PondScum007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i really dont want to start spending a ton of money just to play hl... valve really needs to watch out i think they are pissing off a lot more people than is good too.... soo....anyone up for TheVille.org XI Q3A ctf server? heh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of Steam Reply with quote

-{TwhS}-Black Hawk wrote:
If you downloaded all the mods currently played at the ville, TFC, NS, DoD, TS pluse the cost of halflife, it would be over $250 with tax. And should the release an update, you will have to re download the game for another $50, unless you have the subsription.

It looks like you have a little misinformation there. These are the facts as I know them:

1. HL2 mods will not cost you anything unless the mod developers decide to charge you for it. This is not Valve's decision, so presumably the money would go to the developers. Valve has a really good relationship with HL modders, and I find it hard to imagine that they would completely throw all of that away.

2. I don't think I'd interpret Gabe's term "new content" as including patches and updates. I'm farily certain he is refering to actual games here. So yes, we will have to pay full price for each HL2 expansion pack (as we did with OpFor and Blue Shift), but once you buy one of these games, you will be able to update it for free.
[NoClan]Lunt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:

If that's true, I'm not gonna get HL2. Well, I might, but I'm not gonna pay for it.... #Fade in

WHY WOULD YOU PAY FOR ANY GAME????????
THE REAL GAME IS FINDING OUT HOW TO CRACK IT.....
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Focus]Lunt wrote:
Stevo wrote:

WHY WOULD YOU PAY FOR ANY GAME????????
THE REAL GAME IS FINDING OUT HOW TO CRACK IT.....

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this isn't a warez forum.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: