FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best tip of All
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is. The only tip that will make you a better all around player. It still takes alot of time but with this method, none of your time will be wasted.

FIND A MENTOR!

That's it, the only hard part is finding one willing to take the time to teach you. I had 2 mentors. Jacoughski used to be my apprentice. I think I did a pretty good job with him. Octogoogles was also one of my aprentices. Anyway, thats the key.
Another quick tip would be to try and find a serious clan and learn as much as you can. Even if you aren't serious you learn alot just by going to practice.
Last and best tip- Just cause some guy is kicking the crap out of you in the game doesnt mean you arent learning anything. I guarrantee if one of you played me and Jac everyday, you would be one hell of a good player. Just find someone good and learn.

I think thats it for now...
Octogoogles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that you messed me up big time man lol jk:) Actually I play with Jac and Snay alot and although I still have alot to learn after having played only a few months I am alot better because of them! And as I get ripped a new one quite frequently I know I learn from it, but still i hold a magnet pretty close to the hard drive when it happens! DEEP BREATHS etc! Anyway plenty more to learn so i'll get to it!

Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacoughski is a vary good spy, and overall a good player..... thats why im asking him now... if he will teach me how to be as good as him. So you up for it?

aa, oshiete sensei-san
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of making a whole new thread, I'd figure i'd post it up here. Is there anyone out there, not even so much take someone under thier wing, as just help a Newbie out? Honestly, I've been reading the fourms for tips, and quite frankly, i still suck. Who of those out there help out people in need? I'll be sure to pester you all more than others. Oh, and be truly greatful.

-Jolly Roger.
kazebari?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GASP!

The board and FAQ didn't help you out?!?!
Twisted29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need some kind of mentor. Anyone willing??
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to you twisted29 would be to quit playing those sissy classes like Soldier and Spy and play a "real" class with no Armor and weaker weapons Like Engy, scout and medic .

Ahhh I feel better already....
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jolly Roger I'd be Happy to help where and IF I can. What seems to be your biggest problem and what type of results are you looking for ?

I'm not about achieving POTW but I can give you some of the basics and A TEAM attitude. Some of it may just take time and practice err I mean playing. I do play all classes (Though some a lot better than others ) so I should be able to answer most of your questions. Start talking...what seems to be the problem ?
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with my lame skill set, I don't think I should be "mentoring" anyone lol. But I can help a newbie out. If you can't find Cycodad or want to team up with someone in game, look for me on the servers too Jolly Roger. There are better players you could learn from, but I know my way around. [I promise I won't get mad if you abandon me to sit at the knee of some POTW guru ]Also, I use GameSpy if you use it and want to add me to your buddy list, I'm FingerDemon on there as well.

Heck, that goes for anybody on here that uses Gamespy and wants to add me to their buddy list. I spend far too much time on Ville servers hopin someone I know will join.

And good for you Snay that you've been kind enough to lend a hand up to others. Regardless of skill, it's that kind of attitude that makes this game fun to play.

FingerDemon
Jacoughski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to contradict Snay's tip, but I think some people just have "it" and others don't. I've known people that play 8 hours everyday and still suck. Just my thought. Anyways...Secret Agent Man, I'd be happy to teach you some tricks of the trade, but I don't know if anybody can actually become as good as me. Snay and I are usually on TV3 anywhere from 10 pm to 3 am...it varies. If you have GameSpy, you can look me up. My username is obviously Jacoughski.

[ This Message was edited by: Jacoughski on 2002-01-17 12:28 ]
Zeratul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that I don't mind showing other players how to do things. In addition, though I'm always willing to learn more. So I keep my mind open to both sides of the equation. I think there is always something you can learn playing on the Ville.

Entaro adun Executor!
Octogoogles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any newbs that have plenty to learn! Ask anyone the worst they can say is no. Everybody probably would help at any given time! I am fortunate to be able to play with Snay and Jac and I am learning a hellalot from them! But it's not like they sit down and talk me through it! Just watch the good guys from a distance (make sure you don't get in their way!) That is how I learn and I know Snay watches good players also! It's called spectator mode Try it it helps!

JollyRoger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God you people post here like machineguns.

Anyway.

Cycodad, really i have problems with juuust about everything. I can snipe when my lag isn't bad, and i can be one annoying spy when i get lucky, but past that the only thing i'm good at is HWguy, and that's about as easy as point and click, and occasionally toss a grenade. Even with all the tips on the board, i rarly can take down anything past a scout. I think the best thing i'm good for on my team is picking out spys. (right twisted? )

As far as stats, bah. I don't care for them, but just repeatedly running out of spawn, lasting for three seconds and then being splattered get's annoying.

My biggest problem is just combat, actually; sneaking around, or sniping at someone isn't that hard, but if i get discovered thats the end, and then i just go HW again and get all these snide comments from people about how they are better than me and i should play something else. Something i could obviously go without.

Honestly past that i don't know -what's- wrong with me. People just seem better than me, no matter what i try, even trying to use some of the tips thrown up all over the fourms here.

Sometime though maybe someone could sit around with me and teach me some stuff. I try to copy others tatics, but often i can't get them down well. (Rocket jumps are something i try and always botch, as well as... well, playing a soldier at all well. )

If aaaany one is willing to help, You can PM me, and let me know when you are normally around. I'm most often on 12-8 AM EST, weekdays, and rarly one weekends, and tend to stick to 3 and five. So if any of you want to look for me and give some help, please do. I always am very greatful for people that take the time to help me out.

Thanks to all,
Jolly Roger.

PS: Sorry for the rather spammy post. I have a tendancy to go on and on and on.
Twisted29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyco...I KNOW your not calling me a sissy!! Don't make me hunt you down with a rail gun

But um...

Quote:

quit playing those sissy classes like Soldier and Spy and play a "real" class with no Armor and weaker weapons Like Engy, scout and medic .

I didn't know that spies were considered to have lots of armor and strong weapons. After all, its just a little knife

JollyRoger - I played against you the other night and I saw you as a sniper and a HW. You did quite a good job killing me as a HW, you have good perception and like to han gout in corners (damn you ). As sniper however, I was definately getting the better of you.
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, twisted, I don't have good perception. Ask my team mates, I just shoot anything on my team with thier default weapon out if I don't see them leaving respawn.

And I always peg spys of either color regardless of weapons whenever I see them.

And the corner thing is true, but that's cause I'm a wuss.

As far as sniper goes, I forget what map we were playing, but in Avanti and Warpath I become one hell of a rough and tumble sniper. Ask Cycodad, I got right up in his face when he was a demo and blasted him. And walked away with no damage. Go me.

Sometimes I win, often I lose... you know, when there are Spies on the enemy team.

Of course, I give the enemy snipers a run for the money when I play a spy on well/2fort, not to mention those big slow HWguys and soldiers, and anything dumb enough to stop moving long enough for me to circle stab them.

Latly I've been trying out pyros, and actually running in circles and flaming people can be often fun. I would not be the least bit suprised if i'm the last person on the player stats simply because of the fact I charge, weaken up the enemy team, and then die in a blaze of glory... over and over and over again, but, eh. Stats don't matter a whole lot anyway to me, and it seems to help my team. Plus I feel so happy when i get those Naplam kills.

Back to sniper though, just to wrap up; thanks for the tip, i'll try to be less of a psycho when it comes to non 2fort/well type maps. And keep trying taking me out as a HW; you'll get me eventually.

-JollyRoger.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: