FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stats good or bad?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me i think the stats are good... but i think telling who the player of week or player of the month is bad.

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.
-- Bubba

Squriley AKA Little EagleEyes
fat ass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a real player, stats should not be important. who cares what stats say, maybe it wasn't your day or week? and the other day, you'll have like 50-15. those are just stats and some people really like to see their names on "player of the month" list. i personally play whenever i feel like it, but i was banned from TheVille, so it's been a while. otherwise, i don't care about stats not one bit. i know that i can kill anyone on the servers if i want to, that's important.

Jaredmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats definitely shouldn't be very important to nearly any player in my opinion. Sure, it's nice to see your name on the POTW list with a high rating, but the stats only cover a very small number of important things in the game. What the stats don't count are whenever you capture points 2, 3, or 4 on warpath for example, or capping the flag in epicenter. Also maybe you decided to sacrifice yourself and draw a sniper's attention while your teammate makes a run with the flag. That's definitely a good thing to do, yet it would make your stats worse cause it would only count the fact that somebody killed you. It really just depends on your attitude towards the game if you think stats are good, bad, or uminportant.
fat ass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the time i have to blow myself up with an enemy player just so my team would get through or something. that's a decent thing to do, better than all the stats.

Minor Threat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure its nice to see your kill/death ratio, but why base your gameplay on it? Is it all that fun to hang waaay back and pick off the few who get through? Sure for some people maybe it is..or the ones who like to keep that cap or area secure. But I'd rather keep rushing the front lines live or die it's fun to be in that Chaos.

Oh and in stalled maps I love trying to cap with a HW, 10 deaths & 0 kills later I might manage to cap it but at least I moved it!! Might not get the best stats but at least I keep the enemie busy & the gae rolling
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like stats a little cause its just cool to see how you did but I don't like that it kind of discourages teamplay and more for individuals.
Turbo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with jaredmonkey

*Props to Mad-Hammer on the Sig*

R.I.P. Blue: Gone But Never Forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats effect the way the general population plays the game. That is the truth. It has just been proven. I think a public vote is the BEST idea I have heard in a while! I think the largest draw to theville is the "family" atmosphere. Letting the Villuns vote on player of the month would be a step in the same direction. This award would mean so much more to the recipient! I am all for it.

http://boards.gamers.com/messages/overview.asp?name=TForum

[ This Message was edited by: (SDK) Kjeldorian Royal Guard on 2002-01-14 23:41 ]
Krayonz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats are bad. By the end of the week the people with the most caps are usually far ahead of the rest of the pack. What really matters is your reputation, everyone pretty much knows who to look out for. Or in some cases who to chase around needlessly with no regard to team play(whats the point of chasing a sniper around, when you could be trying to cap the flag eh?). I love not keeping track of stats because then I don't get pissed...I try not worrying about stats but it dosen't really work. When stats were not being kept I noticed a lot more people playing the classes that were needed, instead of what they are best at. If I didn't like all the people at the ville so much, I would def be playin somewhere with no stats.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob I have noticed you score well but you don't run from fights This is what makes a good player in my opinion.Your sacrifice is you teams gain. Plain old TFC

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats to me are good and bad.They are good to set goals with...ie. If you look at the stats for med pack kills an you wanna try an kill alot of people with med packs. That promotes something good within player skills it helps you practice something like med pack kills.Bad in a way i find myself coming back to the stats and looking alot more than i need too.Or maybe not taking that extra step during the game.Gotta weigh it out a little bit.I dont think it has a profound effect on my playing but yes it has some as i believe it would have upon the majority of the players that have stats.After reviewing this i belive im gonna try an stay away from the stats for awhile an see what that does
Krayonz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bada Bing, but if you took a poll most would probably say that I run away more than I fight. It just depends on the class of the person attacking me. If I see someone I think is a spy or sniper runnin at me I usually just get my AR and run at em hoping they will throw their primed nade somewhere else and take my chances with close combat. But if it is a soldier or HW, Im outta there.
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the stats, It gives you a gauge on how you stack up against others. The basic object of the game is to kill or be killed, and its nice to see how youve done. If youve ever played with me I try to be a total team player as much as I can. ill try to cap as much as I can or take out SG's so someone else can get it I had a nifty rocket jump cap on avanti #3 where i landed on top of the roof backed up till i fell off while ducked and ended up getting the Cap, avoiding both the SG's on the otherside,(impressive for me as ive only been playing for a month or so overall) of course they both got me immediatly after that hehe, so IMHO you can try to keep your ratio good and be a team player.

Bakuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are good for a comparison of where you stand and how you play. I notice that people will own on one map and suck on another (I can barely make a 3:1 ratio on Casbah and 2fort but I can own on a lot of other maps). I do admit that I find myself fleeing from battles after being wounded to about 29-17 to get some health so that a rocket or grenade doesn't clean me out, which I think is reasonable since it takes people a little while to actually figure out from where I'm hitting them anyway and by then I've moved on .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cets worth.

{Pulls Frags soapbox from the well where Greebo hid it.}

I like the Daily Awards and the Weapon and Cap Statistics. I even like the "ownage" setion. What I can do without is the "SKILL" rating and POTW based on that. I've never been bit by the SKILL bug. I play the game to have fun and if the Opposing team screams "Get That Snipe" or "Kill that Medic" then I am content. If I put out the effort and was carefull what class I played and left games that weren't going my way, I MIGHT be able to get in the top 5, but that just doesn't seem like fun to me...

I certainly wouldn't like it if I thought people judged me by my SKILL points. Some weeks I'm around 1100 or 1200 but most weeks I'm around 800. Does that mean I have little skill ? OK, Maybe, but the point is some days I pick my fights better and other times I chase windmills (Don Q. reference). I LIKE to see how many "medkit" kills I get. That is really tough to do. I REALY like the new SG stats. Now that helps promote team play.

You just can't measure some of the things that makes TFC a great game to play. Stats don't measure healing or suicide sacrifices. They don't track that timely tap on your teammates SG that keeps it up. They don't measure the health you took from the HW rather than get the easy kill from the Engy. They really don't care if the kill was inches from the cap point or just leaving the respawn. They really don't measure some of the most important aspects of teamplay. A vote might still end up a popularity contest but it has to be better than the current way, since who would vote for some selfish or rude player.

To all the people that have achieved POTW previously, congratulations, you achieved a goal. It just isn't my goal.

{sets 20 second detpack on Frags Soapbox. Its' powers are too strong. Mortal man isn't ready to handle such power yet. Whoops it was a 5 second detpack.... DOH !! %CyCoDad }
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: