FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hard Drive

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurrg

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Reply with quote

I am looking for some Hard Drive so can i have the basics for buying new hard drive, i would want about a 40 gig hard drive, what are the diff. kinds? Will they all work for gateway comps?

The Ville-Addict----BR Site \/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, ok lets do hard drives 101.

Your Gateway more than likely uses a IDE hard drive (also called EIDE) and should accept pretty much any drive out there that you purchase. I am assuming that the Gateway is no more than a few years old though. There is a remote chance that its SCSI but thats pretty unlikely for a home based PC.

There are a couple of factors that will determine how fast your drive is, first is the speed. Mostly you will see 7200 or 5400 rpm drives, get the 7200 as its much faster and will perform better.

Next is the buffer in the drive, more is better. Some drives have 8 megs of cache on them, others have 2. Again more is better.

Pretty much any Drive has a Ultra ATA-100 or 133 interface, older PCs may not support faster than Ultra-66 but drives are backwards compatible so dont let this worry you when selecting a drive.

The big three drive makers are Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor. Capacity and features are what determines the price. Bigger isnt always better, but faster is usually better.

Another big factor that I should mention is warranty. Last year the big three reduced their standard warranty from 3 years to 1 year. Western Digital has 3 year warranties on their higher class drives (8 mb buffer, 7200 rpm modesl) and I understand Maxtor is following suit with their better drives. I dont know what Seagate is doing but I expect they will do similar things to keep up with the Joneses. The Warranty is very important IMHO, I have seen too many drives failing lately and if they are not on warranty your SOL and need to purchase a new one, if its on warranty you can get it replaced by the manufacturer fairly quickly via their website.

whew! Ok, I covered alot but not in much depth. Hope it answers some questions but if you have more please post and I am sure someone will be so good as to reply if I miss the post.

JD

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JD that helps a lot, one more question. Now if i get this new one, i'm looking at a Maxtor 40 gb,7200 1 yr warranty, and when i get it, would i have to wipe everything out and the ninstall it so i wouldn't lose anything, or how does that work?

The Ville-Addict----BR Site \/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any generous friends who can ghost your current drive, thats the way to go. That is of course, unless you want to clean out all the random junk on your drive. Then, just go the reinstallation route.

I'm really quite Non-Twisted... (but don't tell anybody!)

Long live the Ville!!!!
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For looking for a harddrive prices try www.shopper.com or www.pricewatch.com. They help one find good deals.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer a reinstall to be honest. Ghost or Drive Image can make for a easy migration though.

Another option that I dont know much about is the XP config and settings migration tool or at least that is what I think its called.

But IMHO your always better off reinstalling.

JD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i might not no much about this but on some computers u can have 2 hard drives: the nwouldnt it be possible to just copy all ur information from one to the other? that seems like the way to go
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western digital special edition (8 meg cache) hard drives come with tools that enable ghosting and formatting high capacity drives on computers with operating systems that would be unable to do so. I am very happy with my WD1200JB, and I am glad that it has a three year warranty.
JtH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i have two hard drives on mine and thats what i do when i need to reinstall windows or such. i just copy all of the stuff i want onto the other drive, do what i need to do, then copy it back.

jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three hard drives and one rom drive. Besides updating my motherboard, processor, and memory. I'm looking at the Western Digital 120 gb, 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache Special Edition hard drive. It's about $175 in stores in Vegas (Best Buy, Fry's, and Comp USA.) At newegg.com I saw it for $115 as of two weeks ago. I think I'll buy online and wait the three days and get the free shipping as well.

I've totally lost track with what motherboards work with what processors though. I'm gonna probably go with an intel one since they seem easier to configure with the motherboards.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: