FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thoughts on DOD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on DOD Reply with quote

Just thought I would throw in a few thoughts about the game.

I played the last version for a couple of weeks back in April, but I quit due to just not liking the gameplay much.

So, I installed 1.0 today, and tried it out.

Pros:

1. It is different, and that is a good thing to me. It has two sides, but the fighting is much different.

2. I love the map in the right corner, definitely helps us new people to the maps. You can also see if any of your allies are on their way to help you out.

3. The detail is great as well, especially the way the battlegrounds look. A lot of places to hide as well, and several ways around on each map I have played.

4. Taking two guys to capture some of the points adds to the team aspect. Now, one guy can't just jump around and get it by himself.

Negatives:

1. Intensity is a little high for me. You have to concentrate a lot to survive for very long. I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere.

2. Too easy to be killed. Yeah, I know...some of you love the realism. That is ok, but I don't like being killed by one shot. Takes away some of the skill. Don't get me wrong, it takes skill to get off the shot, and be in the right place, but not the same to me.

3. The whole waiting for anywhere from no time to 12 seconds to respawn. I haven't seen it take longer than 12 seconds though. Still, I don't get to spend that much time playing, and waiting to respawn in a game that you die so easily in is kinda frustrating to me.

I think that about covers things on my end. I know I haven't played that much, but first impressions are the most important.

I would say that if you want a realistic game, that is not heavily fast paced, you will like this. But, if you are one of those who wants to play a fasted paced game, in which it takes more than a couple of shots to die, you won't like DOD.

Just my 2 cents...

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
HELLZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another con. Camping on certain maps is very very bad. I dont know that name of the maps but theres one map that is on tv1 and no one caps during the round. With 22 people on the server u get 2 teams with 10 D and 1 O. Theres 6 cap points and everyone stays at there cap 3 and its just a big sniper battle while u have 1 or maybe if your lucky 2 on o trying to get caps. It gets very frustrating.

I dont have time to learn how to cap I like running out and trying to get flags. I dont find it fun to just sit in a dark area for 2 or 3 min to get 1 shoot off and maybe get a kill on the O guy thats all by himself. I understand that u need some people to stay at certain spots and camp and hold certain areas but u dont need your whole team to do it. Maybe if u lowered the sniper limit more might try O but I dont know. But other then that it is a nice mod but its just something I would only play for fun. I just dont have to will to try and learn it better because for some reason I suck at it. I can never hit anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros - The new maps are a definate plus. The graphics are really well done. The team work needed makes for some fun rounds.

Cons - With the retail version came a lot of new people who are not used to having to follow multiplayer rules. Lot's of trouble with getting settings right to defeat the choke. Some of the new features - map, help messages- are a pain if you don't get them disabled.

I could go on but would rather go in game and experience it .

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mod. I like the one shot kill because you have to think about your shots more and be careful not to miss unlike some games with the automatic guns that you just spray at enemies. I also like how teamplay is required to win and how it looks very detailed and realistic. Different people have different styles of play and different opinions about games. I like the DoD type of play, never really like how TFC played and I always sucked at it despite lots of experience.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick about this game is to wait in a corner when you hear footsteps, then send 2-3 ppl to the hospital. Then you move on forward to another spot, capping a flag on the way. You have to move forward, even if you are a sniper. In fact, especially if you are a sniper. Because a sniper is often needed to take the 1-2 mgunners watching the last flag. Also, the drop weapon is amazing. Often as a sniper I will pickup a thompson on the way and start shooting bullets.

That 12 seconds piss me off. SOmetimes it is more than that, because there is some kind of 3-4 second delay after you die before getting the reinforcement time, thus sometimes it can be 16 seconds you are waiting

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Smegma
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here i love the drop /pick up weapons its great as an allie to be able to pick up a kar....teamplay is must to win .i again like the one shot one kill aspect. and different stokes for different folks i like playing sniper at times and yes it might mean not moving around very much just like machine gunner but waiting for that perfect shot even if it takes a few minutes well i just love that feeling .not boring for me as it feels sometime that i have not blinked finger tense on the mouse just waiting ohh yaaaaaaaaaaaa but as a sniper i do move and cap justlike if i was playing any other role. again i started online gaming with tfc but always found it to ummmmmmmm for a better word cartoony for me still had plenty of sleepless evenings though./...................game on

RIP- BlueRuler
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't let me ride on the back of a Atomic Bomb dropped out of a bomber while hooting and waving a cowboy hat until it hits the ground and kills everyone in the game at once and blinds them, whats the use of playing? Do they have that class in DoD yet?
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YourPowersAreWeakOldMan wrote:
If it doesn't let me ride on the back of a Atomic Bomb dropped out of a bomber while hooting and waving a cowboy hat until it hits the ground and kills everyone in the game at once and blinds them, whats the use of playing? Do they have that class in DoD yet?

That's coming in 1.1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Personal Insanity wrote:
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan wrote:

That's coming in 1.1.

#Rofl

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: