FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
100 Choke
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptNCoke
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: 100 Choke Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone else is getting around 100 choke. When the Ville server IV had DOD3.1 I pinged a nice constant 50-60 now its up into the 100s easily. I was just looking at what the server rates are at. The sv_maxrate is set to 3200. The other DOD servers that I play at sometimes are set to 6000. Think that could be why? If not any suggestions whould be appreciated. Thx.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting the same thing on Ville 4, 100 choke all the time no matter what map, was 0 choke with 3.1. Am ok on Ville 2 server 0 - 10 choke. Have changed my config around but that did not help . Have done a trace and no bad hops. Have gone to some other servers other then the ville just to see what my choke and ping would be honest and for the most part ok ping and 0 - 10 choke.

So any help would be appreciated. I know I suck at DoD but still have allot of fun with all that play here . Even if it stays this way will still play here because of all of you that frequent the Ville. Can ya feel the love I can.

Thanks in advance for any help that may spew forth.

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
CaptNCoke
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out why mine was so high. My cl_updaterate was set to 30 (or 20, I can't remember), so I lowered it to 10 and BINGO! My ping went from 120 all the way down to 50. I still get some choke, in the ranges of 10-20 but thats so much better then before. Hopefully that'll help you out to.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cl_updaterate

When it comes to computer things I am not very knowlegable at all.

What is this cl_updaterate and where do I find it. Assuming I do find it what do I do then
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cl_updaterate controls the server-client and client-server traffic. The higher values, the more traffic. However using low values won't create an inaccurate picture of the gaming world (that will only occur if the client starts to drop a lot of packets) because there doesn't need to be a one-to-one correspondence with the way the Half-Life engine works.(From Geekboys)

To change it just go into your console when playing and type "cl_updaterate" without the quotes. It will probably say "cl_updaterate 20" If it does, change it by typing "cl_updaterate 10". Thats what I put mine at and it helped alot. Hope that helps.

Here's a link to the article. They've got some good stuff on there for tweaking and such.
http://www.geekboys.org/docs/netcode2.php

CC
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptNCoke wrote:
To change it just go into your console when playing and type "cl_updaterate" without the quotes. It will probably say "cl_updaterate 20" If it does, change it by typing "cl_updaterate 10". Thats what I put mine at and it helped alot. Hope that helps.

You could find it in the config.cfg file in your dod directory and change it there so you don't have to get in the game.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things

Unless tv2 was full or over say.. 10 players or so, you wont be able to tell if you get choke there.

The rate of 3200 is set because tv4 is not running on a full t1 its running off a partial one. If we set it at a rate of 6000 we will only be able to have like 8 or 9 players max. We have had the same rate since 3.1 on tv4. This will hopefully change in the near future.

When tv4 was 3.1 we didnt have this issue. Only since 1.0.

I have visited many servers to see what is going on outside tv4. From what i've found some servers I get the high choke and others I don't. All the servers have different rates, etc. I have yet to be able to figure out why i'm getting the choke when others dont or why other servers are fine and others are not. I have yet to find any constants.

I have also read many threads on the official DoD forums with players complaining about choke. It's amazing if you do a search there.

So far I can't find a clear solution. Im still trying different settings client side and server side. If I find anything I will be sure to pass it along. This issue has been bugging me since tv4 was changed to 1.0. Its hard when only a few people are getting it while many are fine.

Changing the cl_updaterate, etc does help greatly. But there is still something out there that I haven't been able to find.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
But there is still something out there that I haven't been able to find.

My bet is you're not finding it because a bug sneaked into 1.0.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys my cl_updaterate is 10. My choke 90 % of the time zero and my ping always runs and always has run at about 100 - 120.

I guess thats the best I can do from the west coast at least.

I was in game this evening with JCOM and he said to someone, Stevo I think, to enter:
-nojoy -noipx into command line to DoD. Don't ask me anymore info hell I've never heard of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Ruler wrote:
-nojoy -noipx into command line to DoD. Don't ask me anymore info hell I've never heard of it.

All that does is shut off joystick and IPX support. Very negligible
performance difference, if any at all.

Does anyone even run an IPX network anymore?
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Personal Insanity wrote:
Blue Ruler wrote:

All that does is shut off joystick and IPX support. Very negligible
performance difference, if any at all.

Does anyone even run an IPX network anymore?

My understanding was that it would improve ping

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptNCoke wrote:
cl_updaterate controls the server-client and client-server traffic.

Uhm, that's a little bit not the case. cl_updaterate sets the number of
times per second that the client requests the server send it updates.
That is to say, it's one-way.

cl_cmdrate sets the number of times per second the client tries to update
the server, the other direction.
SilverOne
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:

You are probably right, many threads on the DoD forums talk about that they believe is something wrong with 1.0's net code which is causing choke and lag. Im beginning to agree.

"STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE" ~Blue Ruler
"Silver is Cheezylicious" ~MErf
sgt stutter
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptNCoke wrote:
I found out why mine was so high. My cl_updaterate was set to 30 (or 20, I can't remember), so I lowered it to 10 and BINGO! My ping went from 120 all the way down to 50. I still get some choke, in the ranges of 10-20 but thats so much better then before. Hopefully that'll help you out to.

CC

Tried this and it help the choke alot, cl_updaterate was 25 changed to 10 now my choke is 0-25 with a spike now and then instead of a constant 90 - 100, thanks CaptN. My ping has always been kinda high on 2 west coast also, but thats fine I can deal with a 130 ping. I played tonight and with the lower choke the game play was much improved.

P.S. Thanks SilverOne for all the info and the server, it is greatly appriciated. Without people like you the Ville would not be the same. Have a couple on me #Beer #Beer #Beer

click--><eVa>SuperGreg

R.I.P Trigger Happy
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
SilverOne wrote:

You are probably right, many threads on the DoD forums talk about that they believe is something wrong with 1.0's net code which is causing choke and lag. Im beginning to agree.

One thing I will say, I don't know about anyone else's install,
but the installer set my rate to 10000, my cl_updaterate to 90,
and my cl_cmdrate to 90. Like, WTF, I answered the connection
speed questions honestly...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: