FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DOOMSDAY VIRUS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osiris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: DOOMSDAY VIRUS Reply with quote

I just saw a breaking news report on MSNBC, a Highly contageous and VERY deadly new disease is racing around the world called
"atypical pneumonia", except toxology testing has yet to identify what it is excally all they know is that within days of a victim checking into the hospital, most if not all of the hospital staff are falling victim, Not everyone dies but everyone who has gotten it is either dead or are STILL SICK and are NOT getting better and they have to put them on respirators to keep them alive. The diease seems to have started in Hanoi, where an American businessman contracted it. He was checked into a hospital in Hong Kong and died there. Now the entire (or nearly so) staff of that hospital are also stricken.The disease was then brought to Toronto From someone who fell ill there after being exposed in Hong Kong... Toronto has a whole hospital full of sick and dying staff, from Toronto it then arrived in NYC. Officials are frantically quarantining everyone who has been anywhere near the "Hot Zones", Dont be surpirsed if you havent heard alot bout it The News reporters are tryin to Not panic everyone Think im kidding watch the video ...Lets just Hope its not New-Age War in Bioterriosm where there is no Ememy to shoot :/

http://www.msnbc.com/news/885653.asp?0cv=CB10&cp1=1
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
powdermilkman
Diplomat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading about this since this weekend when they first had the outbreaks, i have some intrest in diseases; i think its because i wanted to work for the CDC. I don't think it is really anything to worry about yet or if it all. I think it is just the media over doing things like they normally are..i have confidence in the CDC. If it was Ebola then i would be a little bit more concerned since that kills ya within 48 hours 72 if your lucky(not sure you want to be lucky with Ebola though). The media over did the whole west nile virus thing as well. All the media does in these circumstances is make an already paranoid culture more paranoid. This is not a rant or insult to you Osiris just my opinion of the media.

Powdermilkman
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever the case, it doesnt sound too pleasant.

This is just an even better reason to lock youself in your home, play tfc, and shoo away any other human contact
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Captian Tripps!

I heard about this on NPR. No idea how bad it really is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with a woman who is know working on smallpox research at the CDC. The people there do fantastic things, and I'm sure they can crack this one.

But to be safe....I'll stay away from the hospitals for a bit
Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have something similar to that I've had a cold for 2 months straight I've got a stopped up nose and im constantly coughing
Dahak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you just have allergies kason. many closet nerds have them.
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

no, you just have the flu
`RaphX

Maybe I should go through an enjoyable death before this happens.
By that I mean eat 3 deep fried mars bars every day until it does me in
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one doesn't look TOO terrifying. It seems to respond to treatment in most cases and researchers expect to identify the cause in a few days. I would agree with powdermilkman . . . the media loves to jump on stories like this. One the one hand, it heightens awareness of the disease. On the other hand, it spreads a great deal of unnecessary anxiety.

What the media misses out on is a sense of perspective. This disease has infected about 500 people worldwide, of which 9 have died. That's less than 2% of those infected. Not the most lethal thing you can come down with, you know? Ninety percent of those infected are health care workers. That means that among everyday folk in the general populace, there have been like 50 people infected worldwide. Compare that to something like the common flu, which kills more than 30,000 Americans each year. That makes it twice as deadly as AIDS in this country, yet CNN doesn't overwhelm us with warnings to go get our flu shots each year. In 1918, the flu killed more than TWENTY MILLION people worldwide. That, my friends, is a true badass epidemic.
Ameanman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powdermilkman wrote:
I have been reading about this since this weekend when they first had the outbreaks, i have some intrest in diseases; i think its because i wanted to work for the CDC. I don't think it is really anything to worry about yet or if it all. I think it is just the media over doing things like they normally are..i have confidence in the CDC. If it was Ebola then i would be a little bit more concerned since that kills ya within 48 hours 72 if your lucky(not sure you want to be lucky with Ebola though). The media over did the whole west nile virus thing as well. All the media does in these circumstances is make an already paranoid culture more paranoid. This is not a rant or insult to you Osiris just my opinion of the media.

Powdermilkman

Ebola isnt that bad actually (it only kills so much because people in Africa do not know much about it and their hospitals arent as suited to treat victims), it has a VERY high survival rate provided that you have the materials to treat it (enough fluids to keep the patient living) They did a test on this by infecting a group of Europeans and sending them to different European hospitals and they all survived.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why europeans what did we ever do wrong.
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read more about it today, they say they think they were going about it wrong saying it was a type of atypical pneumonia. Which would explain why they were having trouble identifying it. They now beleive it to be a new strain of the Flu and have been having promising results treating it now that they are treating like a Flu.

Yeah 9 people dying out of over 500 is no Doomsday virus, if you get it you'll likely get sick and junk for 2 weeks like a bad virus but so long as you drink lots of fluids and junk you'll probably be fine, and then immune to it.
osiris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah 9 people dying out of over 500 is no Doomsday virus, if you get it you'll likely get sick and junk for 2 weeks like a bad virus but so long as you drink lots of fluids and junk you'll probably be fine, and then immune to it.

OMG way to burst my bubble! I almost got laid by this chick who said she'd only sleep with me if it was the end of world, & it almost worked Till saw Your guys posted DAM JOO ALL
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: