FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who knows about modems?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cos I'm well and truely confused.
I got a bog standard 56k modem - to the best of my knowledge that means it's fastest speed, uploading or downloading, should be 5.6k/sec?
If so - how come I can upload to cstone at 20k/sec
And download from munkey and/or cstone at 13k/sec

Does that not strike anyone as a) theoretically impossible and b) faster than some broadband connections?

Blown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got me on that, but be glad its that way and not like my work computer. I installed gamespy for fun. 1.9k average download and the best ping I could muster was a 700. haha. I'm so glad I have cable at home. Gotta love the 200-400k/sec dl and 105 up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a 56K modem is capable of 57,600 Bytes/sec depending on the connection and the condition of the copper you are using. Technically the FCC limits copper speeds to 53K.
You must have very clean wires and a fast PC and comm port.
Go DSL or 2 way Satelite is you want real fast speeds. The new Hughes 2 way Sat. will get you almost to T1 speed. It is not cheap as it will run almost $1000.00 for the reciever and transmitter and install. If you already have a Hughes system with directTV you can upgrade to 2 way fro about $400.00. The monthtly fee for Internet is $59.00 plus you TV charges. I have several friend using it now and they get up to T1 speed often and have never dropped to or below DSL/Cable modem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey There, Bada Bing I have always heard that
having any Satelite connection led to having nothing but trouble when it came down to Online play?
FragFailure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Hughes is Directv let me clear up a few things. The price and info is pretty accurate on the 2 way satellite. You will still find the "rain out's" seen with any Directv product.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had cable for a while now, so I'm out of the loop on the latest dial up info. But I thought that the latest 56K were part of the V90 protocol. Unless I'm mistaken, that protocol was an attempt to use compression algorithms to get higher transfer rates than were possible with typical modem transfers. But I think (as already mentioned) it depends on the line being used and other details. My father recently told me he got a free trial of AOL and his speeds were blindingly fast well over 56K... until the trial was over. Then they went back to what he had seen before sub 56K. Hehe, I guess you can't blame them for trying to hook people in.

So, I guess enjoy it while you can Greebo!

FingerDemon
thewz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell are you talking about?
all of this is waay over my head, which brings me back to my first point of What the hell are you talking about?

Rata-tat-tat
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe a 56 k arnt those back in the stoneage yet ? but yeah some times when I had 56 I could do more then 5.6.

Rata-tat-tat on yo hat. Eat it up fast or you will get the bat.
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_avenger,

Its quite simple really. Just unhinge your corporeal self from the space-time continuum and exist in multiple planes of being along parallel lines until you have experienced any and all possible futures and you will understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Unless, you are just stupid or something and were never going to understand it no matter what. Woah, how embarrasing would that be. All the infinite possible instances of you being too dumb to get an idea. But I'm sure that won't happen to you. Besides its the unhinging yourself from time that's the tricky part.

FingerDemon

P.S. It's times like these that I realize I am only really posting to amuse myself. Probably none of you will even think this is funny. But that's okay, I think its funny... and thats enough justification right there.
thewz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fd I quote myself when I say:
Quote:

On 2001-12-17 14:16, the_avenger wrote:
What the hell are you talking about?

Anyways i'm only 14 and I don't understand your mumbo-jumbo bullcrap.

Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of.. COMPRESSION! When you use PPP over your modem connection, it implements what's called "Van Jacobsen compression". When you are uploading or downloading files that are not already compressed (i.e. anything but .zip, .mp3, .rar, etc. files) then the PPP will automagically compress the data on the fly so that it goes faster. How fast it will go depends on how well the data compresses. I've seen bursts of 3-4x faster than the modem speed on text data. Also, this is limited by the speed of your COM port setting. So, if you have a 56k modem and your COM port is set to 57600 baud, you'll never see any compression benefit because your PC communicates with your modem at only 57600 baud. Crank it up to 115200 or higher if you can, you just might open the proverbial floodgates.
Tommy.Chong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 56k can brings speeds like that 1> is it possible for just anyone todo it. 2>If yes then tell me how? 3> iF not can someone give me some pointers on how to speed my connection up.
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, if anyone needs this info, it's definitely you! I've seen your ping and it's mighty high!! Looks like your connection is slower than frozen molasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen Mole Asses ( )) ( )) ( ))
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: