FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CD MP3 Players
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In CD MP3 players...
The pros outwiegh the cons.
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
The cons outwiegh the pros.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Don't have a CD MP3 player or you just don't care.
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Usually Dead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: CD MP3 Players Reply with quote

For a long while now, I've wanted to ask a forum its opinion on CD MP3 players.

(Though I'm sure everyone knows, a CD MP3 player is a CD player that can not only read regular CDA tracks, but can also read MP3s written to disc)

There are advantages and disadvantages to CD MP3 players:
Pros:

-Absolutely incredible music capacity. Honestly, 100-200 songs per disc.
Um, that's it.

Cons:
-Difficulty of use. (Converting all the tracks to MP3 format, browsing the CD when it has such a huge number of songs)
-Sound Bugs (On rare occasion, and in my favorite songs, there are popping noises for certian effects. They appear the same place in the song every time, so its not random.)

Use the poll to tell what you think of CD MP3 player technology. Also, say whether you have one yourself, if you like it or not, and anything else you want to add.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well get an mp3 player, much more space and very handy and easy to use. (dont know how much 'cd mp3' players cost though, could be drastically less)
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talkin about one for a car be picky. Some of the older models changed songs rather slowly. I had a kenwood MP919 and it was awesome. It supported VBR files so your songs usually were a higher quality. Its actually really really easy to convert your music to a mp3 so I dont see that as a con, most of the quality issues you will find are with downloaded music that someone didnt do a good job at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it look like I posted this thread twice on the list?! I swear I didn't.
I'm not Hormel. I'm no spammer.

It's true that it's easy to convert pretty much any sound format into MP3, but it seems that my CD MP3 player alone has the sound bugs (Teaches me to buy anything from Philips! Patrick Stweart and his dalmations! &^#%!)
But sadly, I've found myself using the CD MP3 player just to play regular CDs more than CDs with MP3s on them. What a waste of money, huh?

Now what I'd really like to see is a player that takes on a ton of formats. MP3, WAV, OGG, CDA and any others you could think of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a rio volt for more than a year, its amazing

holds tons of music, you can organize and navigate folders, 95% of my music is mp3 already, it NEVER skips (8 min shock protection) the only thing is batteray life, id get some rechargeables becasue i looked at the pile of dead AAs that ive been making since the beginning of the school year and well it would make anyone who doesnt burn tires for fun cry heh

id definately get one

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darkath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniDisc > All

MiniDisc, like the above math equation, pwns all. The problem with MP3 players is you NEED a computer to get music from. Minidisc players can capture music from any source, and are smaller, and easy 2 handle. MiniDiscs also feature different recording modes (Stereo, LP2, LP4) which lets you choose the quality of what you have on a minidisc, and in LP4 mode, you can get 320 minutes of music. MiniDiscs are very durable, unlike CDs which break/scratch easily.

^^^ Clicky
JuVaNiLe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u lost me darkath never herd of that
GellyRoll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kool dead. I am lost,but whatever
Darkath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuVaNiLe wrote:
u lost me darkath never herd of that

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF MINIDISC??? #Shocked j/k

MiniDisc is relatively unpopular in the U.S., but I would definitly give it a try. They are more popular in Japan, and around that area.

Here is some info on MiniDisc:
http://www.minidisct.com/index.html

Here is the model I have:
http://www.minidisct.com/products/sony_mzn707.html

^^^ Clicky
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but how much are the mini discs? and are they re-writable?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniDisc players range from 120 to 350. All MiniDiscs are re-writable, up to 1 million times (or so Sony claims). The good thing is that erasing a MiniDisc takes a minimal amount of time. To erase it from the player takes about 10 seconds, and to erase it from the computer takes 20 seconds.

^^^ Clicky
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you need a minidisk player to play and recorder to record to use the minidisks on the road? Plus where you going to take a Minidisk player if it has problems? Minidisks may never catch on, like 8 track or BetaTapes.

The CD MP3 players are awesome. My friend has a portable one for all his music and I have one for my car that plays wma's, wavs, mp3's and aiffs. They load fast, and have very simple navigation if you can navigate your computer files. You can organize into files, sections, and the MP3 CD player will read and recognize files inside folders from windows.when I get into my car it's like I brought my whole MP3 collection along and I can seek for folders just like I was on my computer and it doesn't have any load time.

As for a regular MP3 player, I'd recomend the Archos...it holds 20GB! It also doubles as a 20 GB portable USB hard drive you can just plug into any computer and transfer files on and off it..It also plays all audio file types like most MP3 CD players. WMA, AIFF, MP3, WAV

If you get a portable one do what I did and save an extra $30 $40 for a nice big squishy pair of headphones. You'll almost never have to change a CD again.
_-=Did It Hurt=-_
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a one it's great!!
Its a pain to arrange that many hours of music sometimes though.

Cool Sig by KRG. Thx

The Proud, the Few, US-V or The Ville Supporters (V$)!!
Usually Dead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern with CD MP3 technology (and Minidiscs, if they're all that and several bags of chips) is that you might actually run out of music to put on a disc instead of running out of space on the disc.
This has never been a problem for me. I have gigabytes of generated songs (soundtracks and tracked music) that I like to listen to.

What about anyone else? What songs did you stick on your discs? Did you find that you had more space than you could ever possibly use?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend has one packed full of some emo.. and hardcore and crap liek that.. i mean he has a crap computer, but he's got cable net and a 48x cd burner.. what else is he gonna do?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: