FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Valid Tactics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Valid Tactics Reply with quote

Okay, this one might casue some uproar, but I have a question about valid tactics and those that get you kicked.

Let me start off by saying that I fully support all server rules and will play by the house rules, whatever they are, everytime.

The Ville has many rules that I wonder about, because they seem like VERY valid tactics that aren't hacks or cheats.

Such as camping.. Aren't snipers SUPPOSED to camp? I understand an excellent sniper well camped is a serious pain the butt and I hate getting head shot as much as the next guy. It sucks, but a good team should be able to get around it.

Then there is spamming bridges or battlements. Well, nothing says No Camping like a barrage of pyro rockets continually attacking the places where people camp all game. Yes, it is spamming, but it sure answers the mail against a good sniper.

If piping the only route into a location is an effective defense, I think it should be allowed, regardless of how annoying it is. Once again, teamwork should get past it.

I am in the military and though many weapons are outlawed by international law (that only we pay attention to anyway), any tactic that kills more of them than they kill of us is a valid tactic, regardless of fair play.

I would argue that the rules imposed by the Ville (which I stick to and support) make deathmatching and lone wolf type activities more likely. Destroying some of the team play that I cherish about TFC.

I'd like to hear the veterans' opinions on this.

Thanks,

Mike
(aka Bleeder.. I suck but I try)
NewbieMMMI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Respect your fellow players, don't be an asshole!!

The things you said don't violate the rules… people do it all the time.
My brain must be #Sleep because I don't see why those would get you kicked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked there are no rules against camping, (unless it's respawn camping) spamming (unless it's in the respawn) or piping locations for defense (again as long as it isn't in the respawn)

I think you may have misread some of the rules
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can camp anywhere u want except for respawn u can spam as much as u want except respawn and the camping message that i assume your getting is just to get rid of those that are idle
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Valid Tactics Reply with quote

Bleeder wrote:
Okay, this one might casue some uproar, but I have a question about valid tactics and those that get you kicked.

Let me start off by saying that I fully support all server rules and will play by the house rules, whatever they are, everytime.

The Ville has many rules that I wonder about, because they seem like VERY valid tactics that aren't hacks or cheats.

Such as camping.. Aren't snipers SUPPOSED to camp? I understand an excellent sniper well camped is a serious pain the butt and I hate getting head shot as much as the next guy. It sucks, but a good team should be able to get around it.

Then there is spamming bridges or battlements. Well, nothing says No Camping like a barrage of pyro rockets continually attacking the places where people camp all game. Yes, it is spamming, but it sure answers the mail against a good sniper.

If piping the only route into a location is an effective defense, I think it should be allowed, regardless of how annoying it is. Once again, teamwork should get past it.

I am in the military and though many weapons are outlawed by international law (that only we pay attention to anyway), any tactic that kills more of them than they kill of us is a valid tactic, regardless of fair play.

I would argue that the rules imposed by the Ville (which I stick to and support) make deathmatching and lone wolf type activities more likely. Destroying some of the team play that I cherish about TFC.

I'd like to hear the veterans' opinions on this.

Thanks,

Mike
(aka Bleeder.. I suck but I try)

As for the camping, it is simply to prevent players from being "inactive" on the server, going to get their coffee and thus taking a spot for another player. So it is not that Vill are against sniper camping somewhere, it is simply that you have to move just a little from time to time, one step or two to the left or right and you are ok.

The rest.... well I don't see why you would get kicked for that. You can spam as much as you want, however to me too it could be annoying and you may expect to see some angry comments about it in the game if you do so too much
HOWEVER DO NOT SPAM THE RESPAWN DOOR IT IS GAY, AT THE VILLE OR EVERYWHERE ELSE!

Why would you think piping is bad? (unless again, you pipe respawn, which is no no).

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have described shouldn't be an issue around here inless it involves a respawn area.

If you can give us more specific examples we can tell you what our ruling might be.

Often people shout about 'camping' or spamming or chasing and various other things. Many times these are based on league rule concepts and those rules are not in place on our public servers.

Hope this helps and we will be glad to try to answer any and all questions you might have, and welcome to the Ville btw.

JD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I hear an echo?
Bleeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem..

Well, looks like this was a simple case of communication failing with the receiver.

Thanks for clearing all that up and delineating the bounds of good play.

I must say I personally find spamming the respawn to be a valid, if very annoying tactic. Eventually you should be able to get out and shame on the team for allowing a person into that position. I don't DO it, I just don't despise those who do.. Unless they are using other cheats to replenish ammo, stay alive, etc..

I have the same opinion about chasing. When I see a teammate being chased I try my best to disrupt the chaser, but I don't find it to be an objectionable tactic per se. A chasee can always run backwards, drop 'nades, try and conc jump, rocket jump, etc.. Any number of wonderful, legal ways to shake a chaser.

Lastly, is bunnyhopping illegal? I can't do it, but find myself admiring those who can because it sure is darn useful.

Anyway, thanks for the lively responses and helping me get the lay of the land.

There isn't a n00b league/clan out there is there?

Mike
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhop is fine
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: