FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This explains a lot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: This explains a lot Reply with quote

Ever been against a HW that mows you down so fast you don't have a chance to dodge? Many times I have faced "l33t" HW guys like this, and I usually just assume they're good. In some cases I'll secretly think AIMBOT because the AC is a hitscan weapon. Well, I found a post by Defrag in the Cat's that cleared up a lot. There is a crazy setting you can change. It's called interpting or something. You script-haters are going to love this.

Defrag:
------------------------
Don't get me started on interp, it's basically tantamount to cheating in my opinion. It's also sad that anyone that plays HW would use it, I mean as if the most simple class to play needs to be dumbed down any more?

Anyone using it is going to have the carpet whipped from under their feet when it's patched out.

DW played 2fort the other day against a clan using a HW interping in the basement, he went 88/16 (yes a HW bsp on 2fort.. I'm not joking) and killed us so fast we couldn't really do anything about it. It's ruining the game. I'm willing to bet a fair percentage of the 'elite' players use interp to their advantage. Roughly 20% of the players on the wireplay forums use a custom interp value, and I bet in NA leagues quite a few do as well (while handily just not bringing it to light or explaining anything regarding why the kill so fast as HW, for example...)

It's just another example of f***tards going through console cvars to supplment their own meagre talent. Another exploit to thank CS for, too.

As for what interp actually does: it doesn't make the hitboxes bigger, it de-synchs the hitboxes from the model. I won't go into detail as to why this is effective, but since the command has already been mentioned there's no point in just ignoring it. Quite a lot of players are gonna lose their edge come the next patch, I can't wait.

Also, to clarify: Interp isn't meant to do what it currently does (desynch the model/hitboxes) - it's meant to make models less smooth / more accurately positioned or more smooth / less accurately positioned depending on the setting. It's a bug in the code that causes the current effect.

----------------------

At least it looks like it will be fixed in the next patch. Just thought I'd share.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffft, I could do all that without scripts, just playin the game and knowing how to do stuff will get you that good, I wonder if I ruined games by getting insane scores like that sometimes. Myself and Rata have always been gifted VideoGames since we got our Nintendo one Chirstmas and all they had to play at the time was SuperMario.

people who use cheats and scripts to boost their skill instead of training up suck, and can ruin the game...Some people are good at games, some aren't that's just how it is. Some people can run a marathon faster than others...but the ones who take drugs and stuff to boost their performance are no better than the heavy script monkies and cheaters, cheaters being the worst.

BLARG!
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What YPAWOM said
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YourPowersAreWeakOldMan wrote:
Pffft, I could do all that without scripts, just playin the game and knowing how to do stuff will get you that good

No, there is a point where you can't go further by simply practicing.
You don't just stomp DW, argueably (spelling?) the best team in the world, by just playin' the game. Granted, you can get very good, but your potential does get capped when playing a class like HW.

I haven't played much with you Powers so I can't really pass a fair jugdement. You are by Ville standards a great HW, and I'll just accept your word as a villun.

There have been a few examples though that have visited here. Abdomination (played for SHS I believe) and [6S]Deadmanwalking mow you down so fast you can't breath. If you've played against either of them you know what I mean. You also get exposed to it a lot more when you play in matches.

In the very least, mention a thanks to Valve in your prayers for fixing something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmw plays as Nx^DMW now.
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... didn't know it was the same guy. I haven't seen him play HW since he joined Nx.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heavy class is amazingly unballanced anyway, I can use a low interp and other commands and more than half the time anyone with probably even less skill than me can kill me 1v1. I'm extremely impared by my connection even though my ping looks good, I physically cannot shoot people as good as others. I've played CS games where I could see bullet holes behind someone when they moved and they wouldn't be hit. It's not really skill once you learn how to aim and get good movement. Most if not all really good heavies just have a really nice connection. Anyway changing the interpolation rate (rawr) doesn't accually give that much of an advantage. Heck it should not technicly make you shoot faster, the major reason it is used (and mostly in CS) is that when your sychronise (or whatever) with the server less you can under the right conditions shoot behind or ahead of someone when firing and still hit with hitscan weapons. The gain you get from that and updaterate and a few other cvars is very little compared to that of your connection.

Although value does plan on making the cvar static is cs 1.6/steam. So you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Last edited by Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero on Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The who? The whatty?

. . I just point my gun and shoot. . .
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
JtH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that by just playing a game you definitally have a skill cap. If you just play hw then eventually you will top off. But if you believe in and have fun doing something there are no limits. YPAWOM honestly loves being a hw and thats what makes him one of the best. I personally dont enjoy being hw except for a change of pace and thats why i will never get that good. But with guitar for me i love and i honestly can be whatever i want to be playing guitar. there is no cap to my skill level and can never be one because as long as i love it and i believe in it anything can happen. Now i know im dragging a simple thing like being an hw and applying it to life but in a way (or maybe just me) it applies. How else would you get legends like Babe Ruth, Mohammed Ali, and Jimi Hendrix.
They didnt get great by just playing the game. They became great because they fell in love with the game, and with love there is no skill cap or maximum you can be. All you have to do is enjoy it and have fun and i can guarantee you will be the best eventually.

Jack
Server Admin
Server Admin

Kjeldorian Royal Guard wrote:
The who? The whatty?

. . I just point my gun and shoot. . .

i do just the same and it seems that they die from that

Chen Kenichi

<3 Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've fought HWs who killed me faster than I thought possible, but I've never had a truly reliable connection, so I just attributed it to connect hiccups.

Who needs "tweaks", scripts and cheats when you can SPAM?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caffeinefree wrote:
I think that by just playing a game you definitally have a skill cap. If you just play hw then eventually you will top off. But if you believe in and have fun doing something there are no limits. YPAWOM honestly loves being a hw and thats what makes him one of the best. I personally dont enjoy being hw except for a change of pace and thats why i will never get that good. But with guitar for me i love and i honestly can be whatever i want to be playing guitar. there is no cap to my skill level and can never be one because as long as i love it and i believe in it anything can happen. Now i know im dragging a simple thing like being an hw and applying it to life but in a way (or maybe just me) it applies. How else would you get legends like Babe Ruth, Mohammed Ali, and Jimi Hendrix.
They didnt get great by just playing the game. They became great because they fell in love with the game, and with love there is no skill cap or maximum you can be. All you have to do is enjoy it and have fun and i can guarantee you will be the best eventually.

Jack

*clap* See, somebody who understands...There are no limits except those imposed by yourself on yourself.

I beleive there are no limits to how good you can be alone without assistance, I never once used a script or cheat, never even knew where to look or find them...All I ever did was log on to a server and play my heart out, and when I was tired, and felt like doing something else...I would. I never wanted it to become more than just a fun past-time, which is why I never joined leagues or did any competition beyond the fun games like The Ville Cup, or the few games <TVB> had with [BR]. Even though I had offers and people beg me, and people tell me I'd be awesome in leagues, I always said no...I just play for fun.

I was better than just good by Ville standards, and I've had no problems with DMW when he used to come by, but I will say he was a damn good Demoman.

Here's something to try for you though if you want, people with cheats or scripts.....Play the game for a while without them, just give them up for say a month or more and play totally default style with your favorite class you have the most fun with, and go for it, Play and have fun...Trust me, you'll be able to surpass the skill you thought you couldn't, and if you feel like you still need your scripts, go back to them.

There is no Skill Cap, Ever, In anything.....
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YPAWOM said: play totally default style with your favorite class you have the most fun with

If you have to use anything artifical means you are not only fooling others but lying to yourself IMHO. If thats what you call fun go for it, but remember its not YOU that did it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that went way past my head lol
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: