FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
SAT scores?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: SAT scores? Reply with quote

What are acceptable SAT scores to get into a good college? Any ideas?
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get into, or get scholarships?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

637? Oh wait a minute...dammit spelled my name wrong.

**w00t new spam message**
Patience Grasshoper!! You must wait at least 1 minute before you spam again!!
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido wrote:
637? Oh wait a minute...dammit spelled my name wrong.

**w00t new spam message**
Patience Grasshoper!! You must wait at least 1 minute before you spam again!!

so hwo many do you get for your name again?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what college you want to get into. If you want to go to Stanford or Harvard, you should get at least 1500. If you want to go to a state university, I would say 1000 minimum, but 1100 recommened. Don't stress to much over SAT, you can always take em over.

^^^ Clicky
powdermilkman
Diplomat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Well depends on your idea of good Reply with quote

Like the subject header says depends on your idea of good and how much the college your choosing looks at SAT or ACT scores. I had piss poor(and i do mean piss poor) on both and still got into Southern Methodist University in dallas where i am getting a great education for film and various other subjects in my eyes. If you want to get into somewhere like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Duke, etc... i think you would need in the range of 1300+ maybe even higher than that depending on your other grades. Though to answer your question i would say generally to get into a good school 1100 or above. Though ive read so many articles recently about how schools aren't really looking at SAT's and ACT's anymore due to some people(me included) don't test well on standardized test and various other problems that standardized tests have created. Case in point Ole Miss(where most of my highschool went) doesn't even look at SAT scores just ACT scores. Okay enough of my ranting hope some of it helped

powdermilkman #Beer
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ig to a 640 math 600 verbal, and for those of you with a low math thats a 1240, what do i do with that? thats right.. go to a 2 year graphic design school, lol. where do my friends with like 1450 and 1490 go? penn state.... lol ohhhh well

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want scholarships to good schools these days over 1500 is a must.
Monk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are in the 1200 range and you can get into most good schools. Even the top State Schools in NY don't have an SAT average over 1250.

Of course, many schools are dropping the SATs as a requirement since they don't actually test intelligence. Colleges aren't so interested in how well you can take a test. It is all the special things you do. Tell them about the community service you did, the extra-curricural activities you engaged in, etc. The more interesting things you have done the more they will want you at their school. If you spent any time in another culture, or learned another language make sure you emphasize this. Colleges love well rounded individuals. Whatever you do though, convince them that you are interested in everything and that you can't wait to discover everything that they have to teach you.

No, this isn't kissing up. This is life. If you engage yourself in an active manner you will succeed. Colleges know this and look for those kind of individuals. Grades will only get you so far.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongoose_Slayer wrote:
if you want scholarships to good schools these days over 1500 is a must.

1350 for Penn State and you get i think half off. or something to that affect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, college... I gave 7 1/2 good years of my life to college...

(that happens when you study 3 things)

I like being in the midwest... ACT for me I had a friend who kept getting 35s (36 is perfect), but he was determined to get a 36... he finally did, but I think MIT would have happily accepted his 35 too.

I never took the SAT, but my ACT score of 28 got me in just about anywhere I'd want to around here. Like Monk said, if you're active in stuff and will contribute to the college "atmosphere", they'll gladly take you.

If you want to get into a big-time research school, sometimes you're better off taking your first year or two at a "lowly" state school, excelling, and then transferring. (and if you fail stuff in your party years.... errr.... freshman and sophmore years... then you didn't waste two years of hugely expensive tuition on general education stuff that really isn't much different between the two schools)... and, if you weren't active in stuff in HS, and don't have impressive HS grades... your success at the college level will mean much more to the admissions people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1100 is sufficient. It IS NOT true that you will not get scholarships with less than 1500.

Many schools look not only at the SAT score. Most prestigous colleges have a facukty that realize that some students do not test as well as others. Your grades in high school are important. A lot of weight is placed on your essay. Many schools also look at the things you were involved with during school. They like well rounded individuals.

Go to the library. There is a book (CARP, I don't remember the name of it). It lists colleges, their minimum requiresments, the fields of study they offer, etc. It will come in very handy when you are trying to determine what colleges you may want to apply to. While you are at the library, you can do a search for scholarships. You will be amazed at the scholarships that are available... and for the oddest reasons.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me forgets about hoaxies edit button...

yeah since high school grades matter i guess graduating with a 96.5 4 year average is kinda good. freshman year knocked me down cause sophmore year we changed the grading system from A BCDF to %'s so when the grades got converted i lsot some. i coudl ahve gone to most any school i wanted, MOSt schools. oh well at least i'm doing something i like, instead of something like enginerring with a starting salary mroe than what my mom makes per year... sniff sniff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoaxie wrote:
While you are at the library, you can do a search for scholarships. You will be amazed at the scholarships that are available... and for the oddest reasons.

Damn skippy, Hoaxie! It takes some legwork, and you'll end up writing a LOT of essays, but you can get some serious $$$ by applying for every scholarship under the sun. Just suffer through all the paperwork, and tell yourself that it's a heck of a lot better than paying back student loans for the rest of your life.

Start looking early, too. You don't even need to have taken your SATs to apply for some things. I even got one based purely on my PSAT score.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoaxie wrote:
1100 is sufficient. It IS NOT true that you will not get scholarships with less than 1500.

Many schools look not only at the SAT score. Most prestigous colleges have a facukty that realize that some students do not test as well as others. Your grades in high school are important. A lot of weight is placed on your essay. Many schools also look at the things you were involved with during school. They like well rounded individuals.

Go to the library. There is a book (CARP, I don't remember the name of it). It lists colleges, their minimum requiresments, the fields of study they offer, etc. It will come in very handy when you are trying to determine what colleges you may want to apply to. While you are at the library, you can do a search for scholarships. You will be amazed at the scholarships that are available... and for the oddest reasons.

lol :p
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: