FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Finally, maybe now I can fix my computer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuasiModo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Put computer behind car.

2) Back car over computer.

3) Find girl to play with.
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Borg...why do you have an ISA NIC? Does your board not have a PCI slot available or do you just not have a PCI NIC? I have a PCI Intel Pro 100 NIC you could have if you need it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bottom of the page on this link for a file called Low Ping http://www.fileplanet.com/filesearch.aspx?p=2&q=TFC%20crosshairs I think I'll give it a look too for the heck of it my ping sux at times too.

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look up the details of that mommyboard, but it's pretty old, my guess is it has about a 1:1 ratio of PCI and ISA slots, mostly like 2 or 3 of each. When I was running SCSI on my machine, I had to have an ISA lan card...

I also think it's a weakling power supply, but like torak said, you have to start taking parts and individually replacing them, that's the best way to find a mysterious weak link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent the last 13 years working on hardware, my initial response is......(drumroll please)......

Power supply.

And look at it this way, you get a 300w or 350w power supply, and it works for you. You keep the 200w and if you ever sell your machine, put the 200w back in and keep the new one for your next machine.

And it is not an expensive part to replace, anyway.

But beyond that, it is difficult to judge. You really have to sit down with one to get a feel for what might be going on.

It might also be the motherboard. What is the bus speed of the motherboard? It may not be enough to support the CPU/RAM properly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToRaK wrote:
Guys, there is really no point in trying to help him. I mean, this exact post has come up numerous times. If you want to fix it your going to have to test the componets on a fully operational computer. Elsewise it's going to be a frusterating guess and check process.

I have tested every component and they all work. But now with the more support that it is my power supply, that is the only component I haven't been able to test yet for functionality.
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borg you should try microscope... It will test all the components of you computer and give you some results that you can work with.
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAFT wrote:
Borg you should try microscope... It will test all the components of you computer and give you some results that you can work with.

I thought a microscope was for looking close up at really small things. Never knew you could look at a computer through one.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: