FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do u split ur internet connect?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should this not be moved into the tech section? lots of good tips and input here .. also thxs everybody for helping me out if i run into problems i'll come look this up!!
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use an old P200 to do the network address translation for
sharing my cable modem, then have a regular switch for my internal
network. I would have gone with the switch/router in one option,
but such a combo can't double as fileserver for the internal network
and a MU* server for various outside people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably, but this thread was around before there was a tech section. (i just noticed it yesterday o_o)

so... you're saying a good firewall will let you open specific ports... but how? will router have software with it that does this? if so can you tell it to open ALL ports?
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, most cable/DSL routers will actually have a default website where you can type in "192.168.0.1" or something similar once it's all hooked up... you can easily configure lots of stuff that way. It's only visible from your internal network, and is password protected, etc etc

Goldom, trust me, if you have a DSL, you don't want every single port open. You just don't. The punks of the world run scanners that will literally check what ports are open at many many IPs, and when they find ya, they'll do something bad. It's funny, but at work, I see people trying dozens of ports on our watchguard firewall, I'm not even looking for that, but if I open up the control center program, sometimes I notice a few dozen/hundred attempts to connect at numerous different ports.

Out of curiosity, I've traced some of them back, and some of them will actually give enough info that I could have been a bastard and called their ISP and bitched about one of their customers scanning us, and would have been able to say which customer

What you really want is to have your firewall auto-block those people for half an hour or so, they'll have lots of trouble getting in if they have to wait half an hour before trying 1 more port...

It's not too hard to open up a few specific ports, and you'll probably be able to enter some "trusted" IPs, that won't get blocked. (i.e. put in the IPs of the ville servers, and you can even block the TFC ports, but since it's a trusted IP, it won't be blocked) I think you can do that... anyone know for sure? A typical Linksys might not let you do that, but bigger routers usually will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRkAtH -VS- wrote:
Router = Same as switch, eliminates the need for a gateway computer. I would recommend getting a router if you have cable.

You just solved my question. I was gonna use a hub, but you've made me think again. ty

---
Hosway[CJP] is now Doppelgangster.
Come, let's talk with swords!
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR here
Get a linksys cable/dsl 4 port router. For under $90.00 they are sweet and easy to install. My network was up and running in under 5 minutes using it.

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..but i have them all open now, and it's never had any problems... why would it then? and the thing is, I don't know the port of every single thing I need open. for tfc it'll tell you, but like EQ? They don't say what port it runs on...
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you leave your computer on all the time? If you do, and you have everything wide open, I'd be worried. (then again, maybe I'm just paranoid)

evercrack? A check on their website says they use all ports higher than 1023 randomly... that sucks. I'm not sure how they do stuff, but a lot of times with firewalls, if you initiate the connection from inside, the firewall won't block stuff from the outside (the responses to your requests)...

If you want to, you can have your firewall basically totally open, or completely disabled, and you'd still get the bonus of having a Linksys (or other brand) sharing device... a small switch you can connect several PCs to, a "plug and play" DHCP and DNS server to make home networking as simple as a conced head shot on the scout that is concing from one side of the screen to another....

nah, it's literally plug and play, hook everything up, and start fiddling with a working network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe nope, I can't leave it on all the time anymore, because I .. eh... let my video card fan break, and didn't get it fixed... and burnt out the card... so they say i gotta leave it off a lot, or it'll totally break and not work. lol. *is super genious oh yes.*

well... maybe you are paranoid. or maybe im being hacked into constantly and not even knowing it. Either way, if I get something with a firewall, I'll probably start with it on max, and loosen it slowly until everything works.

..wait.. so you're saying, not only would this share the dsl line, but it would also network the computers, ie, i could share files and play games between them? l33ttt.... I could then.. take it out of gc and use it to network to laptop... right now, I've been using a serial cable to play games between here and laptop, but i imagine this would be much faster. how will it find this network though... cause here's the thing,

this computer is already on a network with another, over a thing that sends the dsl connection to any computer plugged into the phone line. it also lets you share files, etc, over it. Is the router network going to conflict with this one? (because honestly, the only reason I don't just pull the cord from my comp into the other one when i want to use it, is because im hosting that thing from this computer.. so if they conflict... that would kinda defeat the whole purpose... lol maybe I should just attach the other one to the router, but then i'd need like another 100 ft of cable, and to.. um... drill a hole in the floor... -_-)
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anything that lets you network by using your house's phone lines.... so I'm clueless as to what's in place now.

If you get a typical cable/dsl router, it will have a 4 (or upgrade to port switch built in, so you could plug 4 (or PCs into that, or add more hubs/switches and get up to 250-or-so total PCs on it, in your own private network...

how fast can you move files around on what you have? By using the dsl router/switch, you should be able to send stuff internally at about 12 MB/sec, theoretically, anyway.
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a NetGear FR114P 10/100 4 port Switch/Firewall. It is a true hardware firewall (not just a NAT box), although not a super fancy one. It does keep track of and email me a list of port scans, DoS attacks, Ping of Death etc. . . . .

I like it because it has quite a few setting that can bee controlled if you desire. I have mine set to reject all traffic that originates from the internet. In other words, if the packet is not in response to something that came from inside my home net its outta there!

So far it has been a very good little unit.

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got my free cable today, so we're going to go out and buy the router tomorrow! You can be sure I'll be on here crying desperately for help after I destroy everything trying to make it work.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldom wrote:
Well, I finally got my free cable today, so we're going to go out and buy the router tomorrow! You can be sure I'll be on here crying desperately for help after I destroy everything trying to make it work.

damn no i feel bad for laughing at you. sorry
Goldom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, well, i got the router, but couldn't find the connector for the other end anywhere, spent all day checking every place in the state practically lol. (which would be, a BBA for GC...) guess I'll have to wait for my backordered one to be sent... so, dunno when I'll be able to even see if router works... since it would kinda be stupid to set it up when theres only 1 thing connected to it right now...

[*beats head with a hammer following every word* I forgot to realise i'd need an extra cable since it now has to go from modem>router & router>computer. (I had gotten extra one for 2nd comp, but didn't think about the extra one to router) *smacks self for being an idiot* oh well, not like it matters yet anyway...]
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe, any computer geek worth his weight in 1's and 0's will have a few extra ethernet cables floating around... you should be able to borrow one for a week or so.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: