FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do u split ur internet connect?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PondScm007

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brn, not to nay-say but NO NO NO GOD NO! do NOT buy cat5 wire in a store, i have NEVER seen it for less than like $0.70 a foot, when it is actually more like $0.06 a foot... www.netlux.com has several lenghts, ive bought it from them 3 times, 100' with connectors for $8, vs like $15 for a 4' one at home depot or compusa or something...

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScm007 wrote:
brn, not to nay-say but NO NO NO GOD NO! do NOT buy cat5 wire in a store, i have NEVER seen it for less than like $0.70 a foot, when it is actually more like $0.06 a foot... www.netlux.com has several lenghts, ive bought it from them 3 times, 100' with connectors for $8, vs like $15 for a 4' one at home depot or compusa or something...

I'll actually be getting shielded Cat6. And I don't pay for it my friend, it comes off of my work truck, tee hee hee. And I won't be paying to have anyone terminate for me seeing as how I am qualified to that as well. We'll just call them fringe benefits of being an electrician

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's the thing actually, I already have the DSL split between two computers using a network (intel's anypoint network, it's really old, not too great, but it works without having any wiring between the computers, since they're on different floors.) however, I also would like to, at some point in the future, split the DSL into the other room to get the consoles (ie ps2/gc, not computer consoles lol) online.. (i am completely against the idea of consoles being online, but, oh well, must do it anyway x_x)
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're going the router route, i recommend the linksys router (wireless or otherwise). I've got both types setup and they're easy as pie with a web interface for easy configuration. click click click and you're all done! lemme know if you need help on that one.

on a similar note, does anyone have any experience with IOS configuration for a cisco 1720 router? i'm currently trying to set mine up using either hyperterminal or cisco configmaker v2.6 and boy, that's giving me a migraine right now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site which provides some help. I read it along time ago and I was able to get my network up and going without too much problem. Not sure how well it is in now, but it used to be worth the read.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

My main reason for the distrust of wireless is because I'm on a wireless network at school and it's not the most reliable network I've ever been on. I've built my own antenta, but short of hacking into the closet downstairs and running cat5 cable to my room there isn't much that can be done for the connection quailty. For home uses wireless might be fore you, but personally I think you will be happier (and this would be the only option if you intend to connect consoles) is to go with a wired network.

If you go to say, Office Max and pick up a 50' ft. cat5 cable then you are going to get reamed for pricing. However, most router kits include a couple of 10' ft. cat5 cables - and chances are for anything else you know someone that works for your local phone/school/electrical company that probably has a 1000' ft. spool on their truck. If you ask nicely I'm sure they would run it for you. As for connectors, it's really not hard to do (they should be able to do this for you too, adds maybe 5 minutes if they are compitent). All you need is crimpes, ability to straighten wires, and ability to order wires by colour. I think a guide on how to make your own patch cable is mentioned at the above site.

Yah, maybe that helps you some more.
Goldom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe yessss, having your parent work for company that just happened to have rewired entire office with cat5 cabling, and happen to have several routers, and much much cable left over, and being friends with the people that can aquire such materials = very very l33t.

me is getting a free router and cabling! weee! ^_^
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you do need to be careful about where you run your cat5/5e/6... try not to get it really close (almost touching) to 115volt power cables, it'll cause some interference. One thing to worry about if you get cable intended for long runs: it might be very vulnerable to bending... it's meant to stay in place once it's there, and isn't intended to be flexible... if you're gonna use it for patch cables, be careful how much you bend them, or you'll end up with a lot cables in the garbage can.

And yes, working somewhere that can hook you up with "scraps" is pretty darned nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm really hoping I don't have any 115-volt power cables between the computer and my bedroom in the first place o_o...

I do have a question though... as it is only maybe 10 feet, it's hardly worth wiring through the house structure. However, it will then kinda get in the way, and surely be tripped over. My solution to this was gonna be to unplug it when not in use and put it away, since, I wont be using it most of the time. But you're saying the cable wont like that? In that case, two questions: (and, .. woah.. major deja vu...)

1. Should I, instead, get long enough cable so I can wire it above door frame, etc, so that it doesn't have to be moved?

2. If I do leave it plugged in all the time, will it take half the bandwidth away from comp 1 even when comp 2 is not being used, or will it not?
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been so long since I had to make Cat5 cable, whats the longest length the cable can be befrore you start to see a degrade in performance??
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150' maybe??

if not it will work all the way up to like 300.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who says you get interference w/ wireless? Maybe w/ the 802.2b protocol, but a new protocol is just coming out (802.2a) which has NO interference and is much much stronger and faster. And you can still get interference w/ cat-5/cat-6 twisted pair. hehe, if you want no interference at all, just use a fiber network
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamese wrote:
150' maybe??

if not it will work all the way up to like 300.

300 ft. would be the correct answer.
And you will get zero interference with shielded cable. Even when run over power wires. If you can afford it then Fiber is the ultimate way to go.
To answer your questions Goldom, 1 - run the wires where they won't be disturbed. Your better off that way. 2 - It shouldn't interfere with your bandwidth unless it's in use. If you have a 1.5 MB D/L then you will have up to that between the 2 machine when run together. Not neccesarilly split 50/50, just up to your max speed. So comp 1 might be using 100 kps which would leave comp 2 with the rest. I don't have a router yet but that's my understanding on it. I'll probably be proven wrong though

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Goldom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, more questions - (btw, turns out there is no free router for me, but free cable still, and its not too much to buy the router.)

question: it would seem, from looking around, that every router there is has a firewall built in. you wouldn't normally think this is a bad thing i guess, but my network thing used to have a firewall as part of it, and it really messed with games and p2p programs. they later removed the firewall from it. but if the router has one in it, is this going to again happen? are there routers without firewalls? can you turn them off in the ones that do have them?
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any firewall that you buy will let you "open up" for p2p and games... typically the good ones will auto-block everything, and you'll just have to open up the ports you want to.

If you do fiber in your house, you really need to be careful about how sharp you turn the corners, it is glass, ya know. I can't do fiber myself (the splicing and trimming--no tools)... you might was professional help with that. (i.e. geek buddy for a few beers) if you get fiber patch cables, then you have no problem, but putting them inside the structure of the house would be hard with patch cables.

Ethernet is 300 feet without any repeaters, that is more than you'll ever need unless your house has enough bedrooms to host the TVB reunion...

Goldom, if I were you, I'd either run the cable in the walls, over ceilings, in heat ducts, etc etc, or run it around the door frames and stuff, and keep it plugged in all the time.

If you run the cable god knows where and end up stepping on it, tripping on it and pulling it, you'll damage it eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a DLS router/switch (same for cable).. The great thing once you set it up it logons of for you and has the ip for the network and it assigns the subnet mask ips for your comps. Aka when most people try to hack a ip they will get the router not the computer and then with the built in firewall and a sw firewall on my comp makes it pretty secure (nothing is perfect).

And by god wire the thing. Wireless sucks.

DK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: