FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do u split ur internet connect?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osiris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: How do u split ur internet connect? Reply with quote

Im running cable Does anyone kno how to split the line from the modem box so i could run 2 computers off one line? Do i use a spliter or a do i need a hub?>
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think my friend did it with a hub, between his moms' comp and his
jsut run the cable modem in and two lines out... should be that easy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it split the speed between the 2? or do you get 256k on both?
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they both seemed to run fine, i mean some connections can handle more data than the computer so its the system slowing the line down, not the line itself, if both can handle it i don't know how bad the connection would get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between networking devices

Hub = Divides connection between computers (So if you have a 512k connection with 2 people connected to the hub, each will get 256k)

Switch = Same as hub except each computer has full access to all available bandwidth

Router = Same as switch, eliminates the need for a gateway computer. I would recommend getting a router if you have cable.

^^^ Clicky
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRkAtH -VS- wrote:
There is a difference between networking devices

Hub = Divides connection between computers (So if you have a 512k connection with 2 people connected to the hub, each will get 256k)

Switch = Same as hub except each computer has full access to all available bandwidth

Router = Same as switch, eliminates the need for a gateway computer. I would recommend getting a router if you have cable.

what he said

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OF course a router! Good thinking!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have only one IP address thats assigned to your computer when you log in then you will need to have a router, a hub will just give you an IP address conflict as it doesnt know how to split the signal comming from the net to the computers. if you have more than one IP then you can use a hub with no problems. The router is more advanced at figuring out which computer requested the information and routes it appropriatly, eliminating the IP conflict.
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could someone possibly explain how to do the same thing for DSL? That thing looks like it would only fit cable...
Fresh Tofu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The router will do the same for DSL or Cable. DSL means that your physical signal comes into your house on the phone line. From there the signals on the phone line are converted by a Modem of some sorts to be used on Ethernet (the cable that looks like your phone line but is larger and has a fatter connector). Cable works in the same way. Now what you want to do is use multiple computers on the same connection. Use a router in either case because a.) you get more security options b.) a hub is 10MBS and the switch built into the router is 100MBS c.)Service providers in some areas want to charge you per computer connected...muahahaha! The router defeats the Cable company from telling how many PC's you have plugged in.

Sure the router cost is greater but in the end it is well worth your investment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No a router will work for DSL too we have one that makes it so we have 1 bill for 3 PC's.If the PC's are spread out all over the house you might have to pay someone to do some wiring for you.After that you're good to go and it pays for itself pretty quick

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A router is actually not at all a switch, however a lot of routers are packaged as all in one toys with switches/hub.

Firstly, you need your modem (dsl or cable) to connect through cat5. There are a few routers that might connect through usb, but this is the best method. So, next you need a router. I would recommend watching the paper and getting a nice discount. I think I picked up a 4 port switch + router for about 30$ after rebate.

Once you get your shinny router home you need to network your two computers. Installs nics, cabling, etc. Presumably your router will run a dhcp server and assign you address, if you need more net help let me know, but it's not hard.

Now, you plug your modem's ethernet (cat5) cord into the WAN/outgoing port on your router. All your internal computers should be plugged into the LAN side of the router. Get you new ip from your local dhcp server (restart or renew) and you should be free to browse in a transparent manner.
Gamepro65

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u are getting a router and the computers are spread all over the house then get the wireless router. (Unless yo house is already wired) This is the ezyest thing i did with 3 comps.

ToRaK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless is a pain in the ass, just do yourself the favor and run the cat5.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToRaK wrote:
Wireless is a pain in the ass, just do yourself the favor and run the cat5.

Being an electrician I would have to agree with this. With wireless you run the risk of inteference, with the cable there is none. You can actually pick up the cable and run it yourself if you feel the need to save a few bucks. However you may need someone to make the terminations for you at the cable ends. You can pick up Cat5 or Cat5e cable at most hardware stores like Home Depot. As Torak said if you have any questions then contact me and I can help out.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: