FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Windows or Unix/Linux?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Windows or Unix/Linux? Reply with quote

I've gone to the University to work on a project. It had to do with Unix and Linux. For those who don't know what the heck is Unix or Linux, let me quickly tell ya. Unix is like windows 98 or watever. Unix was the first operating system that was available to the business people. But, the difference is, Unix works with MS-DOS, still dont know? Black screen, white text, similar as BIOS but not really. In Unix, you nagivate your computer by typing commands. For example "cd" = change directory, "mk dir" = make directory. Linux is the same thing. Ex, Linux Server on TFC. People often get intimedate with either one, they peffer windows95 98 such n such (Thanks to Bill Gates). Anyways, I herd that if you run a server under Unix or pure Linux server, it will operate much better and more efficient. Allow me to give you a visual:

Intel Celeron 1.3 ghz
256mb ram
20 gb hdd
Unix/Linux

equals to the power of

Intel Pentuim 4 2.0ghz
512mb ram
40 gb hdd
windows2000

I just wanted to know, which one is better by your guess/intelligence?
Should I get an inexpesive computer with Unix-Linux or an expesive computer with windows?

---
Hosway[CJP] is now Doppelgangster.
Come, let's talk with swords!
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***EDIT*** First off, I think you might not understand that while *nix likes to run as a command line, it is not DOS, nor is it compatible with DOS. Some of the commands are the same, but most aren't. They use different file formats, hard drive file systems, and directory structures.
/***EDIT***

I think it all depends what you are familiar with... if you're good with *nix, then go ahead and use that... but if you're more of a Windoze guru like me, then I say go with windows. Both have their positives and negatives... but I think an accurate general rule is: Go with *nix if you're the one who'll use it, and you don't mind having to learn all the commands if you don't already know them... but, if it's for someone else, most computer folks are already familiar with Windoze (or mac OS) and it's the path of least resistance to give them a computer based on what they know.

Now, for servers... it depends, too. I'm a big fan of 2K Server with active directory and exchange server. WebExchange rules, period. But you need some real power to be able to run it all at once... loads of RAM.

Setting up a linux server isn't always as easy as some make it out to be... I've failed miserably at it... to make it more efficient, just as with Windoze, you need to disable or uninstall a bunch of unneccessary components (OS/software), and focus it on what the server is meant to do: i.e. web server... then don't bother with email, DNS, ftp, etc etc.

One of the reasons Windoze 2K Server is such a resource hog is most of that stuff is built in, and likes to run all the time... that chews up your resources faster than an HW cutting through a lagged scout. BUT, the compatibility between the standard Macro$oft proggies can literally make your job as an admin a breeze.

It used to be that *nix was more secure, but now that's not the case, they're both swiss cheese for a determined hacker.

If you try to install a true Unix (not a flavor of Linux) OS on something like a P4, it'll probably just laugh at you and demand a nice 16 or 32-processor machine with a few GB of RAM

So basically, I just spewed a bunch of opinions and babble, without answering your question... here's the answer: What is your budget? Do you know or are you willing to learn all the commands for linux?

If the answers are: "Even less than a typically miniscule server budget" and "Yes", then go with Linux.

If not, go with 2K Server, or you could even go with NT4 server for less $$$.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is a beastiual operating system. You'll always remember your first time being thrashed by the peingwin. That said, do not let me discourage you from running a *nix server, but if you don't know what you are doing it can be a bit difficult. Actually most of the distributions are pretty n00bie friendly these days, with nice gui interfaces and such. Bleh for gui, but oh well :/

I don't think your going to see that drastic an improvement. It really depends on the type of work you are doing. Typically if you are running a monster database backend you are going to need a good amount of power, on any operating system. If your just running a light webserver then it really doesn't matter. If you are building a multiple processor system you'll see a speed increase because Linux is equiped to somewhat take advantage of the second processors.

Something else to consider, if your truly making a heavy use server you probably don't want to use IDE harddrives. Most likely you will want to setup a RAID :/

Bleh.
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download redhat and set up your current computer as duel boot. That way you can use both and see which you like better. I love Redhat for email and web browsing but I have never been able to get TFC to work quite the way I like it to with RedHat and WineX. I think probaly in the end, you would end up using a windows based pc. Its just so much easier and the majority of programs out there are windows based.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, SCSI 320 RAID 5 = stiffy for a hardware geek.

I set up 2KServer on a beast of a machine with that RAID... from putting the disc in to having a clean install took less than 20 minutes. It's a miracle, if you've ever installed windows 2000 or any variety on an IDE machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll probably end up with windows2000 server or nt4. The chanllenge of learning unix is great. But, unfortunately have no time for it.

I want to say thanks for all your tips and help. This will help in the near future.

---
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making the decision to choose between NT 4.0 Server and 2000 Server id go with 2000 as NT as of the end of this year is no longer supported by MS. Just an FYI. If im not mistaken the Ville server is running win2k and look how well it runs.

You could always wait untill next year when the .NET server comes out, then you can drop 10,000 on the OS alone before user licenses. :O jk
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get win2k?
will it turn my comp into a server?

---
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJP wrote:
where can i get win2k?
will it turn my comp into a server?

Win2k is Windows 2000, you can get it either as a cut down version or you can get it as a server version (much like the difference between windows XP home and Windos XP Pro) each has different additions to it, depending on the version you have.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with "getting" win2KServer is that if you buy it legit, it's... well, expensive

Now, if you get "a legitimate backup copy", then it's not so bad...
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Win 2000 Pro love it. I also have Win 2000 pro Advanced Server and Win 2000 Pro Data Server. PHeel the power!

DK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: