FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sony's Answer to Napster

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Sony's Answer to Napster Reply with quote

Saw this tonight on this cool site #2gunfire http://www.arstechnica.com/

Perhaps in an effort to try to calm down people who have been unable to listen copy-protected CDs on their PCs, Sony's Label Gate CDs will allow customers to decode music from the CD onto their PC. The audio files must be played using Sony's Magiqlip software, which means non-Windows users still won't be able to play the CDs on their computers. The CDs, however, contain an audio track that should allow them to be played in standalone CD players. People will be allowed to decode music from their CD once for free via Internet authentication; after that, if they want to decode the music onto a computer again, it will cost about $1.64 per song, with the requirement that customers must pay for all of the songs on the CD.

Using Magiqlip, the music data can also be copied for backup purposes along with the key, which must be uploaded for verification to SME (Sony Music Entertainment) when the music backup is restored, SME said.

Copied music on a hard disk can be transferred to audio devices that comply with SME's OpenMG digital rights management (DRM) technology for a number of times set by the music company.

Even if the compressed music on Sony's CDs is of similar quality to the original audio tracks, I still fail to understand what Sony thinks this action will accomplish. Making CDs more difficult to copy and forcing a restricted file format onto their customers may initially deter illegal sharing, but it only takes one individual to record the music as it's playing on their computer, connect their CD player to their sound card's line in, or just hold up a microphone to their speaker to have an unrestricted copy. In fact, copy-protection strategies may exacerbate the problem.

Normally, many people who purchase CDs may not see the need to download MP3 copies of their CDs and may instead make rips for themselves if they want to listen to them on their computer or on their MP3 players. However, the restrictions of copy-protected CDs will frustrate customers when they are not able to listen to music on all of their devices such as existing MP3 players and non-Windows PCs. Consequently, despite purchasing CDs, they will seek unrestricted tracks that they can freely use, most likely turning to a P2P network. If the aforementioned single individual has created a copy of his CD and shared it, the unrestricted file will propagate across the network. In the end, listeners probably will always find a way to have unrestricted audio files on their PCs, but the outcome that arises from copy-protection will see people who have purchased CDs not only having unrestricted copies of the songs from their CDs, but also being additional distributors of the music. By having a reason to connect to a P2P network, they would perpetuate the cycle of downloading and sharing music.

Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just another way for the man to get his grubby hands in y pocket!!!!! DAMN HIM AND HIS GRUBBY MAN HANDS!!!!!! #Fist
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give it 2 weeks before some1 has compleatly hacked thier way around this and released it on hte net
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish Warpig wrote:
i give it 2 weeks before some1 has compleatly hacked thier way around this and released it on hte net

if that...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have an old burner or different CD software, that protection stuff doesn't even work. The trick to that also would be to rip your mp3s with the program decoder thing, then burn a new CD with the MP3s and save them on your harddrive....Then you can just get them and duplicate them as many times as you want.

I can't remember the last time I bought anything from a major label record company, they suck
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
I think it's just another way for the man to get his grubby hands in y pocket!!!!! DAMN HIM AND HIS GRUBBY MAN HANDS!!!!!! #Fist

exactly!
Darkath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Warpig said, someone will be able to find their way around it, and let everyone else know how to get around it. Personally, I think charging extra money to put mp3s of a CD THAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT on your computer is ridiculous. CDs already cost too much in my opinion, and this makes me want to spite the record companies even more. But AHHHH, the glory of hacking will find a solution. Hey maybe this new system will be foiled by a felt-tip pen like Sony's last protection system (Key2Audio) was

^^^ Clicky
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that this is going to last either. I can take Creed's latest CD "Weathered"and rip it using software that came with my soundcard. It's just something new for today's Hackers/Bored Teenagers to tear apart and crack
Chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That software would last as long as a deep-fried peanut-butter-banana sandwich at Elvis' house.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a Tim Horton's Timbit at Frag's

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it only takes one individual to record the music as it's playing on their computer, connect their CD player to their sound card's line in, or just hold up a microphone to their speaker to have an unrestricted copy.

That was my idea too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: