FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Whats a good video card?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nurplit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to upgrade my card it just isnt cutting it. I've read so many reviews now I'm more confused then ever. -o

What card do you have?

How many fps do you get?

Are you happy with your card?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whatever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Nvidia GeForce2 (32 mb) GTS card. I am not sure what FPS I have with this card, but I have not noticed any type of slowdown in my game.

I run the game in 800x600 with OpenGL mode.

I also have the newest drivers for the card, I think they call them the DetonatorXP drivers...I just downloaded them about a week ago, but even before that it was working fine for me.

Again, I don't know how to tell you the FPS, so if anybody knows how to test that and would like to know, just tell me how.

See you all later...
Dgenr8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get frame rate just run "netstat 2" in the console while in game.

My VDO card is older (18 months old) the predecessor to whatevers. Nvidia Gforce DDR 32MB. I get 30-40 fps most of the time and like 60 fps while zoomed in with sniper... dunno why the difference. I think part of the performance issues are due to me running in windows 2000. The drivers for 98/me should run better.

You shouldn't have any problems with any of the latest cards. Just make sure there are opengl drivers available for your OS.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
{BGS}GLOOMIE357

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest not to get the Voodoo 5. It sucks! I have it. Since Voodoo got bought out by Nvidia, I don't think there are any updates for this card. Also, Voodoo chips have a problem with DirectX 7.0, I'm still using DirectX 6.0. Well I'm going to build a new computer early next year and I heard Nvidia GeForce 3 is the best out there now but very expensive.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 64 nvida 3 AGP. I run the netgraph 2. I average 100fps and run 30 to 90 k/s out and 30 to 50 k/s in. depending on the action.
Tink has cable and I have DSL she puts out an average of 100 k/s. anyone know why her number is so great or mine is so low? the rest of our numbers match.

There are WHQL Direct X 8 compatiable drivers at the http://www.3dfx.com web site. When those no longer work for you its time to get a new card.
Killer has the Voodoo 3 and it is working fine. The drivers are the same with 3 and 5.
If for some reason they aren't avaiable any more I have them and if you email me I'll send them to you

If you can stretch your card out a little longer the next generation of nvida is coming and worth the wait.

Don't buy a nvida 2 you won't be happy.
The nvidia #2 scores 2200 on a 1.5 rig and the #3 scores a 6400 on the same rig using Mad Onions 3dMark2001 the professional gamers benchmark.
http://www.madonion.com
You can down load the light version or you can buy the full feature one.
Haha another stat program. whoose got the largest benchmark score. I got a 6464.

Here is a brief comparison:
http://www.infinisource.com/features/p4-upgrade2.html

Famous quote, by whats his name...

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2001-11-09 08:53 ]
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, we're talking some serious graphics firepower here. I'm still chugging along with a TNT2 card. The frame rates are perfectly acceptable, but all the extra weight in my wallet can be tough to handle.

Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra that I ordered with my 1.4 GHz P4 system. No matter what resolution I run at (1024x768 or 1280x960) I get exactly 60fps in OpenGL mode. I think that the game tries to maintain 60fps when it can since no matter how busy objects on the screen get, the game is smooth at 60fps. No complaints here, but the card was not cheap!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer if you go into the TFC config you will find "fps" you can adjust this. Whatever the Number is determines your max fame rate. Except you can't set it for 500 and expect it to work. You can adjust it in litle increments if you like. Up or down depending on your system. It sounds like you don't need to though.

Haha Thom I've noticed a pronounced limp when your running to cap 3. Must be that buldging wallet!

By the way I diden't mean to say nvida #2 are bad their not . Its just if your buying a new one "now" the 3 is better.

Famous quote, by whats his name...

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2001-11-10 10:55 ]
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ati rage 128 card (32 mbs) It's pretty damn good, I can run black and white in high quality mode with an fps of 20-30(good enough for me) and my comp is only p3 500 mhz. I'm not sure what my fps is in tfc

Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 3DMark2001 and got a 3500 with my card.
<---MrHat--->

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a voodoo 5 i get 72 fps (which is default setting of TFC).

i would not recomend this card because voodoo is out of business and nividia owns the rights to everything that was voodoo.

win xp does not support voodoo either and eventually we will all go to xp.

nividia seems the way to go. the question is do you spend big bucks for a full blown geforce3(close to $400). or do you get a geforce2 which is still a kick azz card for about half the dollars.
my personal decision when i do replace the voodoo5 is to get the geforce2 with the ddr ram and the 466 ramdac(or something like that).
remember there are numerous versions of these cards out there as nividia only owns the chip set. other manufactures are building the actual cards.

i will get mine where ever the best deal is at the time.

i really dont think you will be unhappy with any of the cards suggested so far.

although i'd stay away from ATI. they are way down at the bottom of my list.

good luck and good killing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: