FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Need tech help =(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Need tech help =( Reply with quote

Ok... just thought I'd try posting this here, see if anyone knows...

Yesterday, while just sitting at computer doing nothing, the monitor suddenly gets all dark, has wavy lines going through it, and pretty much just looks like crap. I've tried everything I can think of, restarting obviously, leaving them off overnight, checking connection, etc, nothing. The only thing I can figure is that when it's NOT attached to computer, the color test on the screen looks fine. Does that mean the problem is in the video card?

Would be grateful for any help...
Dahak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reseating the card, then puttingit back in. make sure there isn't any crap all over it.
Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that doesn't sound fun... i think id probably do more damage trying to open it than i would help...
Darkath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug the monitor into another computer which you know doesn't have a video card issue, and if it does the same thing, then your monitor is messed. If not, then its a video card issue, and follow Dahak's advice.

^^^ Clicky
Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i just tested another monitor on this computer, and it has same problem. so I guess I'll try to do that... have no idea what I'm doing really though
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take the card out of the computer, blow on it, toss a pinch of salt over your right shoulder, then put the card back in..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah... ok, I just opened comp up, and got mass amounts of dust out of it. Problem still not fixed though. I tried to get the card out, but it seemed to be riveted into a metal bar in front of it? And also was stuck under large green thing, which I assume must have a fan inside it, which wouldn't come out either. So, I don't know...
Darkath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal bar is taken out with a screwdriver, and the green thing is the thing around the AGP slot locking the card in place. There should be some sort of clip that loosens it. Unscrew the metal part first, loosen the AGP clip, and yank it out.

^^^ Clicky
Darkath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back, not sure what the green thing is

^^^ Clicky
Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time computer is off I'm going to open again and take a picture to show you... Also wrote to dell, but i suspect that you all here will be more use than they will...
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me like it's a problem with your video card, or possibly a problem with the drivers.

First you should try reinstalling your video drivers. Before you reinstall them, go Start -> Settings -> Control panel. Open up "system" go to the device manager select your display adapter and click "remove" Reboot your computer, insert the cd/diskette with your video drivers and reinstall them.

If it still doesn't work after that, and if the warranty for your 3d card hasn't expired, call up the store from which you purchased the card and ask for a refund or a replacement, or something or other.

Btw, I'm no expert in computers, but I have dealt with faulty 3d cards before, still if you have any friends that know a lot about computers ask them.
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same prob with my old computer. Eventually, after many cleanings, I just had to give up and go get a new card. These things do get old, and wear and tear occurs on all parts of the machine. If it's an old card (or system for that matter) it might just be at the end of it's life span.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one else had said it yet, I will. Glad to see you around again Goldom. You may have been around but I haven't seen ya.

**back on topic** Sounds to me like your computer could use a good cleaning. Buy a can of compressed air, or use an air compressor like I do, and try to get all that dust out of there. Keep a vacuum close by as not to make to much of a mess. Try to take the card out and make sure the slot is still clean for your card, both Motherboard and Vid card. Reinstall it and check it. Check for updates for the drivers. If all else fails then you may have to get a new card in which case you will be thankful you did all that prior cleaning.

Robert E. Lee wrote:
Just take the card out of the computer, blow on it, toss a pinch of salt over your right shoulder, then put the card back in..

LMAO

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Goldom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I haven't been around much. Good to see you too ..
anyway, I dunno, computer is getting old, it's... i'd guess maybe 2 years now. Had a lot of problems with it over time, but they've all kinda gone away on their own. I dunno about getting a new vid card for it though... i think right about after i got mine is when they all started requiring winxp, i have ME.. (evil!) so if i did get a new one it couldn't be any better, which would be annoying...(actually the whole system is about as good as you can get without xp, put in up to 512 ram myself a while ago, and me doesn't let you use more than that...) and from what i hear changing to xp from a previous system has all sorts of problems.
(Oh yes, and I did check drivers very first, tried getting new ones, which there were, but it made no difference.)
So who knows, maybe I ought to be getting a new computer anyway. There's a few reasons im reluctant though, mainly that, it's taken about a year of the last two to get everything hooked up so it works, and tentively at that... using one of those old intel networks to share dsl with other computer without cables, (what, never heard of them? that's because, well, they suck. and about a month after they were made, they realized that winxp could do that anyway...) also, i don't like the way xp looks! It's all ... 3d... and that's just not right...

and of course, that i have no money.

bah.. i wish my one friend was here, who helped me put in the card for the dsl, he wouldnt be so reluctant to just rip everything out and somehow make it work in the end... only see him about once a year though, lives couple hours away...
um... am i rambling here... yes... ok...

Anyway, if I can find camera anywhere i'll get the picture of the inside. id just take off the bar, but i honestly cant figure out how to move this enormous green thing...
Dahak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make raph do it for you. :p
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: