FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Proxy Servers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Proxy Servers Reply with quote

Which clever boffin wants to have a go at explaining these to me?
Never used or come across them before, no idea what they are, what they do.

If (can?) I set one up on my computer would it help bypass this bloody firewall I'm having trouble with?
hoaxie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewall in your router? OS? Installed firewall?

You can use port triggereing to allow data flow for TFC, FTPing, faxing, etc.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry will explain further
The firewall was set up by the university to stop file sharing programs (kazaa and suchlikes) - which is fine
Unfortunately they've also blocked gaming ports. (27015-27020 usually)
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greebo wrote:
Unfortunately they've also blocked gaming ports. (27015-27020 usually)

Galloping Gonads!! Is Greebo making a TFC comeback!!?!!
Sup Greebs! long time no see/hear from ya! how're things going at your neck of the woods?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
`RaphX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more to do with connecting to outside networks and servers, rather than ports (correct me because I'm wrong). Some IMs are disabled, or have file-transfers disabled, while I believe mIRC is also disabled. But they all work through Trillian (except Y!, but noone uses that anyway). Downloads through FTP are also restricted, I believe.

This is what appears on the St. Andrews site (http://www.st-and.ac.uk/ITS/policies/netres.html)
Quote:
3.4 Whilst no charge is made for routine use of the network, the University has to pay 2p per MegaByte for incoming traffic which traverses the transatlantic link. Consequently, IT Services reserves the right to pass on to a student costs incurred through their excessive or inappropriate use of this link.

O is for Overkill
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Raphx is in the same situation

Mirc works fine as do most IM messenging programs (even if they do have to be done thru ICQ) FTP to my knowledge is fine (at least to connect to some - tried connecting to a download wwiionline thing and it worked)

btw I'm email them asking them if they could open ports 27015-27020 as they're gaming ports (for most games) but no reply received yet.
Figured if I don't ask I'll never know but I don't expect them to say yes.
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok heres a really generic explanation of a proxy server:

A = your machine

B = Proxy server

C = 3rd party machine (web server, application server etc.)

When computer A connects to a network or the internet it is assigned an IP address, which is how your computer is known on the network (in this case the network being the internet) When you go to any web page or log into any server that computer gets your IP address so it knows who you are. Now when you try to go to an internet site or whatever your computer tries to find the quickest available route at that time, and it may bounce across several different servers and internet networks before it reaches it destination. what a proxy server is, is a machine on the net that has an IP address assigned to it. if you set up computer A to Connect to computer B, you can effectively route through that machine to the rest of the internet, and other servers will know you as the IP of computer B instead of your own. Now if you wanted to try to use the proxy, what you would need to do is set up the proxy on the outside of the firewall and set up the game server etc to run on that proxy server. that way you can set up the proxy to receive your connection from a port that is not blocked by your firewall, for instance if you find that port 700 is not blocked by the firewall you can try to connect to the proxy using that port so you can get to it and then run the game server normally as you would if there was no firewall in the way. Like I said this is a really generic definetion and hopefully its not too simplistic or confusing, if someone can elaborate on the points I missed or messed up Please do so.

FYI how you would set it all up I have absolutly no Idea as im not familiar with Half-Life enough to help there . Hope this helps you somewhat
Dahak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this'll help. i *think* you connect to this proxy using a different port, and the proxy will "bind" 27015 to a different port. However, you'd probably have to run this program outside the school's network.

http://www.planethalflife.com/hlproxy/
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I'm already setting up a program called TCP relay with a friend so halflife ain't a problem, just takes time
it's other games that are the problem, but we'll get there eventually
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.planethalflife.com/features/techcorner/mailbag/tcprelay_a.shtm

That might help with TCP relay.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: