FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I just got some info that makes me VERY unhappy...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KopiKat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: I just got some info that makes me VERY unhappy... Reply with quote

I was sitting here, monitering the message boards as well as could be possible with this piece of shite mac, when I descided to call my parents. I called them, and the conversation went as well as could be expected until I brought up the subject of my computer. It seems that I have contracted a virus, which was stored in one of my temp data files. This makes me VERY VERY angry folks. I have been monitering my emails and other incoming information and still, SOMEHOW this thing got in. I dont know wether or not this virus is the same as the one that some of u have contracted, but if it is, the creater of that virus is going to have HELL to pay. As of now, the virus has caused no damage on my computer(or so my dad tells me) but I assure who ever it is who made this virus(I wont mention the magic name), you will be caught, and a nice long prison sentence awaits you. I am not accusing anyone as of yet, I will gather more information on this before I begin asking around, but just as a fair warning I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS. That is all.

-KK
Ktulu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK I stand behind you 100% and you are welcome to share any info you have by PM with me if you like.

Hax0rs = Sux0rs
`RaphX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, KK. You didn't say whether or not you use a Virus-checker, but if not, you should do so, and if so, you should always lookout for updated virus lists.

There has been recent virus talk around The Ville, so perhaps it was the one that others around here received, as the virus in question finds your other email addresses, and spreads itself. (Not me - I have no friends )

Anyway, I use Norton Antivirus 2002, and I go to LiveUpdate at least every other day (manually). I also check Windows Update frequently, so I can have all the newly-discovered XP problems fixed, as well as other recommended fixes (except the one about the Snow White DVD playback ). It's worth ensuring that you have a good virus-scanner, a good firewall, and perhaps a decent Trojan Horse detector. Anyway, I hope you don't suffer anymore cr@p like this in the future

My Opinion: Email-hopping viruses (I prefer "Virii") shouldn't be a problem. In fact - they wouldn't if people didn't keep contact information on the computer, instead writing it down like they would a Telephone Number.

I'm going to stand facing the corner now.
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soz to hear that KK, i received two F***in things by e-mail not long ago... i hate viruses...

but i use nrton anti virus 2002 and norton personal firewall... so im prety secure... if you dont have a decent virus scanner i would strongly advise getting one... and keep it updated i just checked mine for updates and its up-to-date

i always do a full system scan once a week... or if i see anything suspicious

i hope it doesn't mess up your system... good luck in killin it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that kk. I use Norton AntiVirus 2002 too. I always scan once a week too. I'm not sure if I want to put Norton personal firewall 2002 on my comp!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1st it will make a hidden file in the system folder, win***.exe. It will also spawn a few 10 kb programs (not made in asm, the wusses!) in you /program files directory. They could be less than 1 kb, but the author is apparently dumb and cannot understand asm, so your 10 kb file should only sit there, and take up memory. Those are not even hidden from the process manager, and they really serv no threat. The start->sleep infinately->exit process. So that explains why my memory was going out the window. I believe it infects norton personal firewall. Something was quite in there, so everytime I restarted my computer it would recreate itself. On random times (I believe), it will spawn random .rar files in your root partitions (for me, C:/ F:/ and G:/). So it's capable of infected networked partitions, but nothing beyond adding those files. They contain mini virii compressed inside them, and are also there to take up space. When you first run this virii it will mass mail everyone on your contact list (how I got it). If you finally remove it, I think it leaves something behind so you cannot set up firewall rules anymore, either that or, I just a dumbass and didn't choise the right options when I reinstalled it Lastly, the sucker is polymorphic, so don't expect it to be the same size (except those 10kb things in /program files), so if you see a hidden file called win***.exe that you don't think should be there, and windows doesn't let you delete it, get a process managed (not ctrl+atl+del, I mean a good process manager), shut it down, and delete the file, delete all the other stuff, and tell me "haha you had harder work cause you have a firewall"

This was the virus I got, quoted from the eP forums. I've never e-mailed you, so it's not from me. And yes, virii > viruses
KopiKat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have norton antivirus AND a personal firewall AS WELL AS HOTMAILS VIRUS CHECKER. I also update the virus defs every day manually. Anyhow, this virus was isolated by my father(15+ year IBM Internet Security Veteran, just a fair warning to all u hackers) and he had some peeps give us a SPECIAL VIRUS ELIMINATION PROGRAM(probably costing an arm and a leg) and the virus was eradicated before it could do any actual harm. Still, dispite this stroke of good fortune, I am still EXTREMELY angry that this happened. Who ever created this virus will be prosicuted with extreme prejudice. I hope they look forward to spending a long time in prison. Sorry for the rant folks, I am just not very happy that someone has disrupted the machine that 2 years of my income and hard work(building the dang thing) has sucked up(still havent payed off the $1200 it took for me to build the thing). Ok that is that. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

-KK
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Kopikat...tell us how you REALLY feel....

Its hard to believe that some get fun out of wrecking something that others build and put there energies into. lets all hope they stumble and fall upon there own computers breaking their fingers...off
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: