FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
some help plz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: some help plz Reply with quote

i was wondering what programs you actually need to have running on your comp, because when i pressed Ctrl, Alt Delete earlier cos a progam froze i counted how many i had running.

i had wait ill just re-count 33 running.

and all im doing is talking on msn.. im on here and listening to some music

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have XP and theres only 2 icons next to my clock. Thats Norton and Direct CD. When I press alt ctrl and delete it brings up my task manager. When I do that there no programs running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got win 98 first edition and i got tonns of stuff in my task manager thing (Ctrl atl delete thing) and i got about 13 things next to my clck n i wont to un clog my comp thats why im askin which ones r actually needed b4 i go closin them all

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the only one i wouldnt close is exploder err i mena explorer the rest are just autostart programs you nromally dont need give or take any mouse software enhancements and so forth...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im ms config i could stop eveything starting at start up and only start them when needed. ill try that now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i press ctrl-alt and delete, all i have running is explorer. I make sure no programs is running since i have hardly any ram. So, yeah, all you need is explorer.

`RaphX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run XP, and I have 24 processes running at startup. I switched off some of the junk, like XP's #2 space-hogger - System Restore. Again, for any XP users out there, this is where I went to close some services -
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
Be sure to make a note of what you have done
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 2000 pro and I have only 58 process running normally. But a P4 with 512mb ram can handle it lol\

<TVB>DK
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just the number of programs you have running, bobbins. There are programs that run behind the programs that you are running. I don't know how it works, I also didn't design windows. But some programs, like MSN, require help from other programs. I might be wrong though .

[RS]Potato-VS-
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx ppl, and i got 320MB of ram so my comp can handle it, but i just dont wont unnecesary progs runnin thats all.

i've stoped everything starting at start up now, except norton auto protect, msn messanger and aim.

but after a while using different programs and then closing them again, i get left over junk running in the back ground... which annoys me so much.. lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK wrote:
I run 2000 pro and I have only 58 process running normally. But a P4 with 512mb ram can handle it lol

Quote:
only 58
Quote:
only 58
Quote:
only 58

Eh? And normally???
Oh yeah, and I have to go into task manager after every TFC game, just to close hl.exe, which still runs for some reason. I usually realise it when something hangs, like a second browser window.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL have run up to 107 processes at once. It works for me lol i am back to 60 lol now

<TVB>DK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: