FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AntiRocket: The cure for those dang annoying Soldiers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoDum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: AntiRocket: The cure for those dang annoying Soldiers Reply with quote

This is a quick tip for you medics, scouts and engies out there(or anyone with a nail gun really).

As most of you know rockets explode when they hit a solid object. (Duh, jolly, you idiot, we know that.)

However, nails, Rail slugs, grenades and caltrops all cause it them to explode as well. That means that if you constantly fire nails at a solly there is a good chance his rocket will hit one and not even come close to you!

The same is true for rail slugs but since they have a slow fire rate it's a bit harder. This is also true for grenades but that's increadibly hard to do, to smack a rocket down with a nade. It is possible though.

Also, scouts caltrops go into air and hang there for a second before thier decline, so those can make due for a chick sort of 'chafe' against the rockets. This obviously doesn't always work but it's not like you are going to use those trops for something serious.

Lastly, This one may be a bit questionable to some people, and is no doubt hard with out some rebinding (binding a key to build dispenser, for example)

When you first build a SG or dispenser, you are rendered totally immune to all attacks from the direction it is. SGs can be shot over, obviously, as can Dispensers. Why? Because while the dispinser/sg is being built it can not take damage.

So say you come up on a Soldier around a corner. Normally you are dead right? Instead, duck, prime a EMP and start to build the dispenser right away. He will probably fire some rockets into the dispenser, and you will take splash, but it's better than dying. Then stop building (i'm not sure if you need another key to have it stop building or if you can bind a key to hold it down, and release it to stop building), throw the emp and start backtracking some.

Obviously these arn't sure fire techniques that will work every time, but, just something to keep in mind when you run up on those damn soldiers and thier newbie rockets.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Goldom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... yeah.. and how are we supposed to hit rockets with caltrops?
ToRaK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this before. Mostly on mulch, soldiers will shoot and throw a nade too close together and the rocket will hit the nade. Very annoying since it damages you as if you shot a rocket into a wall in front of you. I've only seen a rocket hit nails once, but the guy was an idiot with no aim, so I can't say much there. Over all, it'll take your 30% chance of living and make it 31%

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Computer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've been wonderng about this b/c about a week ago me and someone else had a rocket hit. Midair, two rockets collided and we both just stopped fighting for a second and were totally dumbfounded. But the nail gun trick is great.

Awesome tip.
Blown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I've had the throw your grenade and shoot a rocket at the same time and your rocket explodes right in your face. Doesnt happen too often but it does hurt when it does. Never tried to nail down a rocket before, I guess if you random spray some nails you might get lucky, depending on the angle the rocket is coming.

As for the caltrops, I would think even if it did hit one that it would prob be close enough to the scout he would take some good damage from it.

The question is can a sniper shoot down a rocket, thats gotta be hard to do if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the sniper bullet is a solid object I think it's more of an instant occurence, but I may be wrong. I think the only things that would cause the rocket to explode would be the things you can see. ie. nails, rail guns slugs, rockets, explosions

notice you never actually see the rounds from the AR or the SR. Along the same logic I don't imagine the SSG or SG would work either.
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sniper rifle wouldn't work because it is an instant hit. Same reason why 2 snipers can't kill each other at the same time.

Computer wrote:
Actually I've been wonderng about this b/c about a week ago me and someone else had a rocket hit. Midair, two rockets collided and we both just stopped fighting for a second and were totally dumbfounded. But the nail gun trick is great.

Awesome tip.

Chameleon and I got into a soldier fight once, and the first three rockets all hit each somewhere between us Now that's dumbfounding

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Da Omega Snipa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a snipa i kno snipas can't use dere rifle to shoot rockets but if yall play neotf with the new remotes for soldiers dan u can kill them with nail guns or rockets great idea but a soldier is probably the only type that would last long enough to do that
#Fist

Da Canadian Snipa

whats that dot... AHHHHH MY HEAD WHERES MY HEAD
wow i'm burning toooooooo vP thanks to comp
-=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoDum wrote:
This is a quick tip for you medics, scouts and engies out there(or anyone with a nail gun really).

As most of you know rockets explode when they hit a solid object. (Duh, jolly, you idiot, we know that.)

However, nails, Rail slugs, grenades and caltrops all cause it them to explode as well. That means that if you constantly fire nails at a solly there is a good chance his rocket will hit one and not even come close to you!

The same is true for rail slugs but since they have a slow fire rate it's a bit harder. This is also true for grenades but that's increadibly hard to do, to smack a rocket down with a nade. It is possible though.

thanks jolly rogers and everybody elses point in here i will keep that in mind when i am playing my soldier skills but i also love the engineer and other class levels
Also, scouts caltrops go into air and hang there for a second before thier decline, so those can make due for a chick sort of 'chafe' against the rockets. This obviously doesn't always work but it's not like you are going to use those trops for something serious.

Lastly, This one may be a bit questionable to some people, and is no doubt hard with out some rebinding (binding a key to build dispenser, for example)

When you first build a SG or dispenser, you are rendered totally immune to all attacks from the direction it is. SGs can be shot over, obviously, as can Dispensers. Why? Because while the dispinser/sg is being built it can not take damage.

So say you come up on a Soldier around a corner. Normally you are dead right? Instead, duck, prime a EMP and start to build the dispenser right away. He will probably fire some rockets into the dispenser, and you will take splash, but it's better than dying. Then stop building (i'm not sure if you need another key to have it stop building or if you can bind a key to hold it down, and release it to stop building), throw the emp and start backtracking some.

Obviously these arn't sure fire techniques that will work every time, but, just something to keep in mind when you run up on those damn soldiers and thier newbie rockets.

Last edited by -=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas] on Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Computer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshness dating.
OS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good tip, maybe she was just bringing it back up to the top. And who really cares if she does that anyway Computer?
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time soldier and now pyro I can say that the rockets exploding from small arms fire is true. lots of times they are blown up in mid flight.

I've always thought of the caltrops flying out at the very moment of a rocket expolding was the scout crapping there pants!

I don't know if I have intentionly or anyone else has intentionly shot the rocket down in battle though. Usually it is a medic letting fly with his nails.
I bet a lot more try to hit the rockets now that they are thinking about it.

I don't remember if this happens up close very often. Mostly at longer ranges.
-=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS wrote:
It's a good tip, maybe she was just bringing it back up to the top. And who really cares if she does that anyway Computer?
i thought there was some pretty good tips and pyros might be able to use these also?? who knew i would bring it all the way to the top but i love looking at these tips... And thanks for your help Omega in clearing thing up for me !! i thought people just starting there soldiering would love this tip also??
Ameanman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful for pyros? How do we stop a rocket? Flames? LoL Strafe those rockets! I wonder who would want to waste their nails/caltrops on an IC rocket? They are so weak! (jk. They actually pack quite a punch when theyre on fire but dont tell anyone that )
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: