FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ICQ and Zonealarm, important question I think....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: ICQ and Zonealarm, important question I think.... Reply with quote

Ok I'm asking this question to ppl having both ICQ 2002 and ZoneAlarm on their computer.

I would like you to check in the ZoneAlarm "program" tab, (the list of programs) if you see FT Patch.exe. This is a program which recently asked me access to internet.

If yes, please note that ZoneAlarm locate that program in the ICQ download folder...now try to find it. Good chance that you won't.

I've seen 3 occurences of that so far, on 3 different computers. A quick search of the web tells me nothing about FT patch.exe. That application cannot be found on the computer.

So I would like to know if you see the same thing on your computer. I'm suspicious of that application, I'm thinking it comes with ICQ to do shameful things

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jasun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have your folder view setup to view system and hidden files so that you can see the patch.exe? have you run a virus scan on it? does it close when you close icq? have you end tasked it and noticed no changes to icq? i dont run icq so i cant tell you if that file is in there i use trillian.. but the ways ive mentioned are good things to check if your not sure about something running on your computer....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasun wrote:
do you have your folder view setup to view system and hidden files so that you can see the patch.exe? have you run a virus scan on it? does it close when you close icq? have you end tasked it and noticed no changes to icq? i dont run icq so i cant tell you if that file is in there i use trillian.. but the ways ive mentioned are good things to check if your not sure about something running on your computer....

As for the hidden files option, yes it is checked. The only time I became aware of this application is when it tried to access the internet. I said no of course. So this is not exactly running in the background I think.

To me it looks like a spyware. ICQ is not known for that, so that is why I'm wondering. As for the virus check, I deleted the entire folder before I though about it

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jasun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was something that was part of icq the only thing i can think of is the auto update checker but they dont have to write a seperate exe for that they can include that in the http.dll file wich auto downloads all those lame ad's

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasun wrote:
if it was something that was part of icq the only thing i can think of is the auto update checker but they dont have to write a seperate exe for that they can include that in the http.dll file wich auto downloads all those lame ad's

Indeed, and also why is the file invisible? That's why I want to know if other ppl have the same thing on their puter. Maybe I did not look it right, though a friend of mine saw it too and he'S quite good with puters.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy, Download Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. It runs a scan of your computer and detects crap from Gator and other spyware vendors. Then you can remove them.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snaggletooth wrote:
Paddy, Download Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. It runs a scan of your computer and detects crap from Gator and other spyware vendors. Then you can remove them.

Unfortunatly, I have Ad-aware, and it never found it. Maybe if I had a more recent version though.

I don't know, maybe all this is harmless. I'm just making sure of it by asking if ppl here see the same things happening

gindapoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddyjack-VS wrote:
I don't know, maybe all this is harmless. I'm just making sure of it by asking if ppl here see the same things happening

Paddy, don't assume it is harmless. It has already done some "harm" in the fact that you question how it got on your computer and what is it trying to do. I come from the paranoid school of computer use so I would keep searching for an answer if I were you. (Just wish I could help you out, but I don't have ICQ, sorry.)
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have that file as well, and I also ran into the problems of not being able to find the file. Odd. It does not have access to the internet, and it has not been found by the latest Ad-Aware, so I am gonna just keep an eye on it in the future. Thanks for the heads up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: