FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What do I need to support a server?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnE_BuC_FaN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: What do I need to support a server? Reply with quote

At work we have sevral T1's I am connected to a Cisco 6509 with 100 meg. Soon to be a gigabit conection just for my WS. I have windows 2000 witha 1.7 p4. I can add more memory, but at this time I only have 256. I would love to install a TFC server on it. Set it up like the ville 1? I might be able to set somthing up in our lab that I could leave on all the time. The problem is that I need to know how secure it would be? I would need to be able to convince my boss that it is secure. Do I need to put it on the DMZ side of our router? IF so does that mean that I would need to purchase a IP address? The reson that I ask all this is: I would not be an administrator of the game. Lee, bada, hoax, roof or somnone would need to administer the game remotly. Can this be done?
Thanks,
BUC
Goldom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just have to wonder yet again at all the bosses that don't mind having TFC servers set up on the office equipment....
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your serious, send Rob an email or PM. Although I am sure he is extremly busy right now, he will get back to you at some point.

Putting it on the DMZ is the best and most secure way to do it. You would need a static ip address, so if you didn't already have one then yes, you would have to get one. If you were not an admin the the others could still do the in game admin stuff, but you would still need to oversee all of the OS and Hardware needs of that server.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Boss's Reply with quote

Well I can do what I want on my system. He is pretty libral about that. The problem comes when I try to set a server up in the lab to run the game. At one point I will need that server for somthing. As for my PC I can do what I llike. The issue that I have t is the VPN status of the game. How secure is it? I can set my system up on the DMZ, but do I need to do that? That is also the pipe that our webserver is on. full T1. If this is not a good idea then please feel free to post you comments about it not being a good idea. I just want to support the VILLE. More than just buying a tee shirt or cap. Heck I will even do the same as Nipple in that case and I will keep my name the same. If that is better please let me know. I will dish out a 20.00 gift for the person that frags me the most. I think that is pretty koul.
Chuck
OnE_BuC_FaN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: ROB? Reply with quote

Who is Rob? I would be ok with Hardware side. The system that I can set it up on is the one listed in the first thread. Would that be enough for a good server? I have never bought an IP before our webserver already had it on it when I got here. How muche does that cost? Where do you go to get info. Could I just creat a VPN Group on the FIREwall and then add external clients to that and only give access to my IP address. I would make MY IP address on the WS Static. I am not sure if this would work.
BUC
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: ROB? Reply with quote

OnE_BuC_FaN wrote:
Who is Rob?

Damn you are a n00b. Don't read the forums much? Rob runs the joint.

BTW welcome aboard
Please stay off the Zen Garden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Networking Reply with quote

I just sat and had convers with our cisco guy. He wants to play TFC also!!!! He said that he would help in setting it up. I know that Rob is the head cheese but there are lot of things that I don't know like what is his user name? Is that GEN. LEE How do I PM him? Where do I get his email. Where PM if he has not posted? I only see Persopnal messege after somone post's a thread.

BUC

NEw as NEW can get!!!!!
FragFailure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a PM to Robert E. Lee

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OnE_BuC_FaN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: