FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Demoman Tips (revised)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Demoman Tips (revised) Reply with quote

Well recently I returned to my TFC roots. The orignal class that I fell in love with when I came to this game, however I found a new way to play it that for me atleast is much more effective. Given this is not the only way to play this class, but it is a way.

I believe the most powerful and useful weapon in the Demo's arsenal are his Pipebombs. They pack the exact same punch as the GL except their detonation time can be controlled, granted you may have to wait a second to detonate, but this is where position becomes key.

Stay back from the person you are trying to attack if possible. Leave some space and bounce PBombs to either side of them, this way no matter where they try and run you got something waiting for them. Don't shoot straight at them as they will not detonate on impact, instead lead the NME (duh!)

Keep a trap set near a choke point, if someone comes through there, then detonate, but if another route is chose simply attack with them as normal.

If someone gets in close either shoot near a wall nearby to keep it close and then detonate, or switch back to the GL and attempt to get that ever lethal face shot.

Never run out of grenades. This is a demomans best friend more so than any other class I believe. You have more damage potential than any other class and selling yourself short by not keeping nades on you is only hurting yourself and your team.

Trap infront of the flag, in stead of setting your trap on the flag, put them near them in the route the NME will most likely take, this will prevent a touch and if you can delay the touch for long enough then hopefully you can get it to return. Or you could go with the other philosphy which says to set your trap on the route to the cap point. But this is just a matter of style IMHO.

Pipe Jump. Two of the best places that I can think of are both on Avanti. The first being the jump up to the back door to blow it. The second is made from the alley over the top of cap point three, while in the air drop a MIRV on the back side on the ledge, before doing this however I would check that there are none adjacent to the cap point under the awning, as this will ruin your play. Also while in the air rain down with Pipes. Not the GL b/c if you do live you will be in a good position to cap and you won't get slaughtered by your own spam.

Snipers behind the gates making you mad? Use the pipebombs to atleast knock them out of the way. Should only take 3 at most to kill those pesky bastards so if you can bounce them right then you can surround him and make gib stew out of him.

Learn the P Bombs physics, sounds strange but you can hide in some obscure places and bounce your aresenal to where you want them to be and keeping yourself out of danger.

Use MIRV's to slow and assualt if the NME is coming fast and furious to the flag drop a MIRV in the path to it and that will cause them to atleast wait out it's completion, or they can go running into it and become red paint.

I'll edit this as I think of more.
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing demo recently and until now, I never realized how powerful they are. When me and RocketFly played demo in one round of avanti, the other team could not cap. The best thing to do is to lay pipes somewhere and sucker someone onto them. But pipes and much better the GL just because of the fact that you can control a passage or detonate them at their feet.
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocketfly is a very good demo, he owned me in our match vs them. As you said, bouncing the pipes is key. Good tips.
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin, you should have seen me and him demoing yesterday on avanti. It was great
`RaphX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the jump from the gates up to cap2. Everyone starts to get annoyed that some guy is holding onto the flag at the gates, then shoots into the air for the best cap in town.
Also, when capping 3, there tends to be an sg at the corner of the church, which you can't really reach with your grenades. Launch yourself from the medpack area with 2 pipes, drop next to the gun and let the Mirv take over And fire a few GLs too #alien
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raph u make it sound easy -- lol

i think im gonna start practicing with the demo man n try n learn how to use the class properly -- n hopefully get good at the class in the process -- lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also I forgot to add when pipe jumping use more than one pipe to launch yourself farther. You can just fromt the point behind cap 3 left of the church all the way to the door to the death room with 2 pipes and from there set your det pack.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When playing demo your right the key is having ver well placed pipetraps.I see many a demo never use them what a waste When using you GL's try leading and shooting them left and right with a primed nade up the middle boom.They usuall ywon't even reach your pipes and you can reload and still have the flag piped

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Demoman Tips (revised) Reply with quote

Computer wrote:
If someone gets in close either shoot near a wall nearby to keep it close and then detonate, or switch back to the GL and attempt to get that ever lethal face shot.

RocketFly used a pretty lethal move on me recently as we were meleeing in an open area - he would bounce the pipes straight down as he was facing me, this gave them enough time off the bounce to explode right in my face. Very effective.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have me going. My tip is to use every weapon you have. They are all useful. Sometimes being kamakizi to get that detpack that will clear the cap point is crucial to winning.
rAT bOY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen on this one TFC movie where the demoman shoots the blue grenade right in front of his face to kill the medic. And like the soldier, you need to aim well and while conced. I think demoman is a lot harder than soldier, but at times a lot more effective (like on shutdown type maps).

I love you JTHM <3
[njk]rat_boy
ur stuoid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
terreo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a demo training guild if you guys need some help stop by #mirv on gamesnet
Also, greens (pipes) don't do more damage than gl(blues), there just easier to aim and detonate
edit : i have a few demos up at the garage of me playing demo..here's the links
http://www.demogarage.com/download.php?demofile=demo, and http://www.demogarage.com/download.php?demofile=push. Also get geekplayer to view these it's just easier lemme get that link too
http://www.geekboys.org/geekplay/download.php?file=GeekPlay-4.0.zip&app=geekplay&PHPSESSID=d8a89b11bae4fabe845e61f7ee10341a

#ucclan
terr=winz!@#%^#@!!11
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention gl grenades will detonate on contact with other player you just have to be pretty lucky to get a direct hit

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vulcan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bada Bing wrote:
I forgot to mention gl grenades will detonate on contact with other player you just have to be pretty lucky to get a direct hit

That isn't luck, it is skill and I tend to do that a lot when I try.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEHE I know i have more kills from gls than pipes I was only joking I swear lol

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: